Looking to buy new fs, budget $2k. Things have changed a lot since I bought my Rocky Mtn Element in 2004.

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Looking to buy new fs, budget $2k. Things have changed a lot since I bought my Rocky Mtn Element in 2004.
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Feb 22, 2020 at 15:20 Quote
I don’t compete, but I just moved to Lake Tahoe area and want something fun and forgiving to get out and about on.

Posted: Feb 22, 2020 at 16:38 Quote
The marin hawk hill 2 or rift zone 2 (same bike just 29 or 27.5 wheels) are really good bikes for the price, just under 2k. They're 130/120 mm travel, so xc suspension numbers, but the geometry's great and I ride my hawk hill at bike parks without feeling terribly under biked.

Posted: Feb 22, 2020 at 19:50 Quote
Some good options here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSYwTlth1oc&feature=emb_rel_end

Posted: Feb 25, 2020 at 11:38 Quote
Thanks guys. Good ideas here. Exactly what I was looking for.

Posted: Feb 25, 2020 at 12:55 Quote
An older Kona Process is a great bike. Great on the DH and techy stuff. Climbs ok, fine with a climb switch. Looks like this one might go pretty cheap. Add a dropper & a debonair air spring & it'll compete with more modern expensive bikes.

Chances are this will go for less than a grand, worth probably $1500+-

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2016-Kona-Process-153-DL-Large/333522479457?hash=item4da77d2961:g:l3sAAOSwzWFeUBuX

Posted: Feb 25, 2020 at 17:41 Quote
Buying used is a viable option as long as you factor in some repair costs. Buying a fan you budget a rebuild front and rear ~300$ and another 100$ for odds and ends. You can get a lot of bike for the money

As for your actual question the vitus sentier and the polygon siskiu are both legitimate bikes for the money. There are close outs that can be had for around 2500$ that are top notch bikes. When you are shopping know what you are buying and why. Most parts on a bike are cheap (comparatively) and easily replaced. Frame shocks and forks are where your money is best spent so if you can get quality suspension components on a good frame go that route.

Posted: Feb 25, 2020 at 22:32 Quote
Oh don't be afraid of buying used. Not a bad idea to service a used bike suspension. But honestly $300 is literally worst case scenario for a suspension service. $45 for seals. $15 for oil. Pvc pipe or socket for a seal driver and 15 minutes watching YouTube. Not a bad skill to have anyway if you plan on owning a modern bike.

If you can wrench on a bike or are willing to learn you will always get much more bike for the money used. Bikes don't break nearly as often as they did back in the day. Suspension forks and rear shocks are made to be serviced pretty easily now. A little garage time and you'll have a much better bike as sadly at $2k unless it's a great sale you'll be compromising. Assuming you get a good deal on a used bike.

Posted: Feb 28, 2020 at 8:08 Quote
Marininmaine wrote:
The marin hawk hill 2 or rift zone 2 (same bike just 29 or 27.5 wheels) are really good bikes for the price, just under 2k. They're 130/120 mm travel, so xc suspension numbers, but the geometry's great and I ride my hawk hill at bike parks without feeling terribly under biked.

Can vouch for the hawkhill. The geo makes up for the shorter travel. It boosts jumps, pumps and manuals pretty solidly too. I kinda went overboard on my hawkhill build, but it’s been worth every penny. I would go for the hawkhill if I were to do it again.

Posted: Feb 28, 2020 at 10:57 Quote
Well that Kona auction I linked went a bit higher than I guessed.

But for used near you https://offerup.com/item/detail/820298475/

Posted: Feb 28, 2020 at 15:46 Quote
ill have a 2018 Cannondale trigger 1 for sale soon. little more that 2k but we could talk. in south lake Tahoe

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.004716
Mobile Version of Website