Posted: Feb 25, 2021 at 13:44 Quote

My Slash 8.

Super Deluxe coil
Standard dub 170mm cranks with Wolf Tooth 0mm Chainring
OneUp 210 dropper
Hunt Enduro wheelset
Renthal Cockpit 800mm Bars 50mm Stem

Zeb coming soon!

Just to add to the sizing discussion. I’m 189cm on a Large. Feels great coming from an XL Remedy.
Perfect for the varied riding here in Queenstown.

Posted: Feb 25, 2021 at 14:07 Quote
Sweet bike ???? the slash seem bigger than the remedy when I've looked into specs previously which is why I decided the slash route ????
Well your taller than me so it's definitely looking more likely to go for the large,, I ride Alot of rocky and wet trails so was bit worried about the carbon models? So thought maybe the 8 and put some upgrades on it! Never had any trouble with me Ali fuel ex just heavier ????.. Thanks for sharing that.. Looking forward to new bike time ????

Posted: Feb 25, 2021 at 14:56 Quote
Greenfly7 wrote:
Thanks all for your comments,, it really does help to get other peoples views on sizes and the way they ride! And as you say in my 40s I'm a bit set in my ways! Looking forward to getting out more and progressing my riding skills though ???? I'm kinda heading the large way! Not xl if I think about it when I put my 27.5s in my fuel ex it feels more playful and I'm told I'm faster ???? so xl slash may well feel too big,! May I also ask what you all think.! Would you go carbon model or aluminium? Never had a carbon bike before. ????
go with carbon if you can get the 9.8 xt.
the 9.7 is pointless, upgrading drivetrain will be a bitch and suspension is not as good at the 8's.
no point in the 9.8 GX when you could get the XT with better drivetrain and brakes
otherwise, as long as you look after your bike and can afford it, no reason not to go carbon.

Posted: Feb 25, 2021 at 17:25 Quote
I went from an alloy stumpy evo, to a carbon evo, now going back to the alloy slash frame, building up with enve wheels and 12 speed XT. I didn’t have great luck with carbon on enduro bike. But I did order a fuel 9.8 for a local trail bike. The slash is strictly for park, big day mountain adventures, and enduro races

Posted: Feb 25, 2021 at 17:27 Quote
JamesXT wrote:

My Slash 8.

Super Deluxe coil
OneUp 210 dropper
Hunt Enduro wheelset

Zeb coming soon!

Just to add to the sizing discussion. I’m 189cm on a Large. Feels great coming from an XL Remedy.
How is the coil on there? I have a super deluxe ultimate for mine if it ever shows up

Posted: Feb 25, 2021 at 18:45 Quote
Swizbee42 wrote:
JamesXT wrote:

My Slash 8.

Super Deluxe coil
OneUp 210 dropper
Hunt Enduro wheelset

Zeb coming soon!

How is the coil on there? I have a super deluxe ultimate for mine if it ever shows up

Too early to say really, only got a couple rides in the bike park on it so far.

First impressions are it’s amazing for steep tech and chatter, but lost a lot of support and pop for the flowy stuff which I loved in the stock shock. The setup is still way off though.

I actually really like it for climbing, lockout is just the right amount of locked out while still maintaining traction and keeping the bike sat up high.

Going to get used to it and fine tune the setup until my Zeb arrives, then get it dialled in with the Zeb before I make my final decision.

The stock air shock is amazing really but sadly reliability is terrible, my shop has had to send almost all of the ones they sold away for warranty rebuild, including mine. That’s the reason I wanted to try coil.

Posted: Feb 26, 2021 at 0:33 Quote
My choice is between the 8 then do upgrades or the 9.8xt... So many choices sizes and specs ???????? and that sucks about the standard shock not being so reliable!

Posted: Feb 26, 2021 at 4:37 Quote
Greenfly7 wrote:
My choice is between the 8 then do upgrades or the 9.8xt... So many choices sizes and specs ???????? and that sucks about the standard shock not being so reliable!
idk, not had issues with my shock yet, but knowing the thru-shaft thing, I can get why it can be issue-prone. my local bike park has them for rental and told me they only had one shock issue with clicking and then the lockout failed on that shock
with 9.8 xt, you have the benefit of carbon frame, wheels, cockpit, and a "better" fork.
the thing I recon you could do is get a 9.8 xt and add their the top level damper, or, because it's already charger 2.1 in the select+, slide in the push h97 (https://www.pushindustries.com/products/hc-97), which helps with big hits, small bump sens and has more dampr control
unless you're going to do a full makeover (meaning shock and cockpit at least, I'd say go with the 9.8 xt, but I'm just a little biased towards nice bikes and the 8 is almost the same suspension-wise)
ur money ur choice

Posted: Feb 26, 2021 at 5:07 Quote
It's a shame they didn't do the xt version in the 8 for if people didn't want to go carbon... That's why I looked at 9.8xt all the specs really good ????
Would definitely spend extra pennies upgrading the 8 ????

Posted: Feb 26, 2021 at 20:04 Quote
Greenfly7 wrote:
It's a shame they didn't do the xt version in the 8 for if people didn't want to go carbon... That's why I looked at 9.8xt all the specs really good ????
Would definitely spend extra pennies upgrading the 8 ????
the spec on the 9.8 xt is one of the best I've seen at that price, even considering direct to consumer. and consider that for $240 to get the Push HC97 cartridge (not damper, it's a cartridge), you can basically have the best RockShox suspension that exists with XT drivetrain which is as much as you need and carbon frame and wheels
it's bombproof and if I had the choice between upgrading the 8 or going outright with the 9.8 xt, i'd get the 9.8
and a lot of the cost/advantage does to the carbon components and xt drivetrain which outclasses the gx

Also why do you put so many question marks ??????

they haven't made a HC97 for the zeb yet but I suppose that's coming and the charger 2.1 damper in the select+ is still one of the best and will definitely never hold you back

Posted: Feb 26, 2021 at 21:48 Quote
Greenfly7 wrote:

I would have bought the 8 over the 9.8 GX if I could have got it in time.

IMO the biggest upgrade between the two is not the frame, but the wheels. I've been really happy with my line carbon wheels.

I would have been all over an 8 with an SLX spec and carbon wheels.

SLX drivetrain, alloy frame, top end brakes and fork shock. Min/max mayhem

Posted: Feb 27, 2021 at 0:09 Quote
That's a good question? I'm not sure why it puts all those question marks! Not guilty
I agree the 9.8xt is really good value.. If I was to upgrade the 8 it would cost the difference between the two bikes and probably more.
I've tracked a L. Slash 8 in a local shop so I can go have a sit on that check sizing then see. What model I can get hold of!

Posted: Feb 27, 2021 at 12:24 Quote
Greenfly7 wrote:
That's a good question? I'm not sure why it puts all those question marks! Not guilty
I agree the 9.8xt is really good value.. If I was to upgrade the 8 it would cost the difference between the two bikes and probably more.
I've tracked a L. Slash 8 in a local shop so I can go have a sit on that check sizing then see. What model I can get hold of!

did you ad some smileys?
go for the 9.8 if you want shimano brakes and drivetrain. would take an 8 complete xt build any day

Posted: Feb 27, 2021 at 13:21 Quote
pAzk wrote:
Greenfly7 wrote:

did you ad some smileys?
go for the 9.8 if you want shimano brakes and drivetrain. would take an 8 complete xt build any day
agree i wish i have shimano brakes i like the feel better and my code r go too close to the bars for me

Posted: Feb 27, 2021 at 18:35 Quote
That’s pretty much exactly what I’ll be building up and that’s why I ordered an alloy frame, I could have ordered a carbon frame but cost was the main reason I didn’t. It’ll be XT 12 speed, enve M730 wheels, lyrik and super deluxe ultimate coil, and saint brakes. I wish they sold a Shimano 8 because I would have bought that and swapped wheels

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007468
Mobile Version of Website