Trek Slash 2021 ?

PB Forum :: Trek
Trek Slash 2021 ?
Posted: Jun 12, 2021 at 19:59 Quote
mtbtrekracer wrote:
Alandarfi wrote:
I've been trying to fit an inner tube on the standard slash 8 and for the life of me could not get it to fit. Anyone else too, or just me being useless?

how can it not fit? also whats a tube? lol

When you say 'tube', you mean 'tire insert', right? Haha but for real, if you are worried about tubeless, Put in an insert and you'll have way better protection then tubes. But keep a spare tube in the frame in case you really send it and everything goes up in smoke....but at that point your rim will probably be taco'd or really messed up....believe me, I know from experience. But Treks Carbon care came through and I got a new wheel.

Good luck!

Posted: Jun 12, 2021 at 20:51 Quote
I think he means inside the frame.

Posted: Jun 12, 2021 at 20:53 Quote
SirWilhelm wrote:
mtbtrekracer wrote:
Alandarfi wrote:
I've been trying to fit an inner tube on the standard slash 8 and for the life of me could not get it to fit. Anyone else too, or just me being useless?

how can it not fit? also whats a tube? lol

When you say 'tube', you mean 'tire insert', right? Haha but for real, if you are worried about tubeless, Put in an insert and you'll have way better protection then tubes. But keep a spare tube in the frame in case you really send it and everything goes up in smoke....but at that point your rim will probably be taco'd or really messed up....believe me, I know from experience. But Treks Carbon care came through and I got a new wheel.

Good luck!

i've had good luck with the revised 2021 carbon bontys, they updated them for this year and they've been awesome

Posted: Jun 13, 2021 at 1:00 Quote
Looks like we call them different things! Tomato tomato. https://www.wiggle.co.uk/schwalbe-29er-inner-tube?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&sku=5360361286&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=&utm_medium=base&gclid=CjwKCAjw2ZaGBhBoEiwA8pfP_qe-obNCKRBnlRvGuX7xPV9oUEfMmY7fsiwq17Xqul1yq7ApDtcuABoCHy4QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

No matter how hard I try or whose youtube tutorial I follow I just can't get the tire on without ridiculous effort. When I do the tube is all over the place so when I deflate it doesn't sit right.

Posted: Jun 13, 2021 at 4:57 Quote
No, we call them the same thing. Tube, inner tube same thing. Everyone assumed you meant tire insert like cushcore, cause why would you want to run inner tubes if you don't have to?

Posted: Jun 13, 2021 at 5:11 Quote
zstover wrote:
No, we call them the same thing. Tube, inner tube same thing. Everyone assumed you meant tire insert like cushcore, cause why would you want to run inner tubes if you don't have to?

I think also people assumed that he meant inserts because fitting inserts can be slightly tricky to do, whereas its hard to understand how someone could struggle to fit a new inner tube lol.

Posted: Jun 13, 2021 at 7:55 Quote
its-joe wrote:
zstover wrote:

I think also people assumed that he meant inserts because fitting inserts can be slightly tricky to do, whereas its hard to understand how someone could struggle to fit a new inner tube lol.

Fancy popping round to sort for me? I'm in Hereford so not far. I've obviously avoided asking anyone I actually know for assistance due to the embarrassment ;-)

Thanks for the advice all, I'll give it another bash.

Posted: Jun 13, 2021 at 9:06 Quote
I'm about to steal the code RSCs off my trail bike to put them on the slash 8 and put the code Rs on the trail bike.

Front brake should be no problem as I can take the whole thing off and not have to play with bleeding or new compression fittings.

For the rears, I was just going to leave the hoses in the bike, put new compression fittings on at the lever and either leave the calipers or swap them too but one end at a time of course, I really don't want to lose all the fluid. Physically I believe the calipers are the same except for piston material, but I'm not 100% sure.

After that, I was going to pull the downtube protector and refit it using vhb tape. The original tape looks a little thinner than what I have, but it's completely pulled off the bottom of the bb. I was going to rough up the surface a bit on the frame to get it to stick better and try to compress it against the frame for the 72+ hours they recommend for "permanent" adhesion with vhb. Or I could just leave it until I can't stand it any more.

Posted: Jun 13, 2021 at 13:41 Quote
Hi, can anyone tell me if the compression damping on their select+ fork actually makes any difference please. Doesn't seem to on my new slash 8 or a slash 9.8 at the lbs. Sorry if asked already. Cheers.

Posted: Jun 13, 2021 at 17:01 Quote
bjamp wrote:
Hi, can anyone tell me if the compression damping on their select+ fork actually makes any difference please. Doesn't seem to on my new slash 8 or a slash 9.8 at the lbs. Sorry if asked already. Cheers.

It's low speed compression adjust only. Might be hard to test how it feels riding around in a parking lot. I just turn knobs, I don't really know what I'm doing. But I'mma say yes it does make a difference.

Posted: Jun 13, 2021 at 17:13 Quote
turn it firm and ride, open it and ride again.
cant tell a differnce? you're not good enough so open it an leave it there.
Bit blank but true.

Posted: Jun 14, 2021 at 0:43 Quote
Thanks for the replies. I did try the damping fully closed and fully open but didn't see a difference when measuring suspension travel under breaking. Perhaps its just a very subtle change.

Posted: Jun 14, 2021 at 14:39 Quote
Thanks for all the advice earlier on in this thread, apologies for the noobness.

Going to stick with tubeless. Looking to get a kit and for the life of me I can't find what the valve length/width I need is? (Slash Cool Anyone able to point me in the right direction?

I promise I'll then leave you in peace.....thanks!

Posted: Jun 14, 2021 at 22:52 Quote
Alandarfi wrote:
Thanks for all the advice earlier on in this thread, apologies for the noobness.

Going to stick with tubeless. Looking to get a kit and for the life of me I can't find what the valve length/width I need is? (Slash Cool Anyone able to point me in the right direction?

just get granite or muc off 44 valves an done.

Posted: Jun 14, 2021 at 23:59 Quote
mtbtrekracer wrote:
Alandarfi wrote:

just get granite or muc off 44 valves an done.

Nice one, cheers.

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.007192
Mobile Version of Website