Trek Slash 2021 ?

PB Forum :: Trek
Trek Slash 2021 ?
Posted: Jun 24, 2021 at 9:47 Quote
IJenks wrote:
Hi guys.
Noob here, sorry if this has been covered before.

I've been playing on my 2021 Slash 8 for 9 months. Bike parks and enduro trails mainly. In the past week I've snapped two rear spokes. I can't work out if this is fatigue, poor build (tye wheels do seem pretty true), or some other gremlin. They have both snapped at the hub, making me think it is fatigue.

Have you guys gone through many spokes?

Spokes snapping at the hub is from lack of tension in the wheel. A couple of new spokes and a true and tension at the bike shop.

Posted: Jun 24, 2021 at 10:07 Quote
IJenks wrote:
Hi guys.

I've been playing on my 2021 Slash 8 for 9 months. Bike parks and enduro trails mainly. In the past week I've snapped two rear spokes. I can't work out if this is fatigue, poor build (tye wheels do seem pretty true), or some other gremlin. They have both snapped at the hub, making me think it is fatigue.

Several spokes were coming pretty loose after my 4th ride. Luckily i'm in the habit of checking pretty often as I go through wheels like crazy lol. Guess those bonty wheels dont hold their tension that well, although they are actually surprisingly good otherwise. Could also have just been a bad wheel build from the factory, cus after retensioning they have held up fine since.

Posted: Jun 24, 2021 at 10:42 Quote
nouseforaname wrote:
IJenks wrote:
Hi guys.

Spokes snapping at the hub is from lack of tension in the wheel. A couple of new spokes and a true and tension at the bike shop.

Thanks pal. Will get on it.

Posted: Jun 24, 2021 at 10:44 Quote
its-joe wrote:
IJenks wrote:
Hi guys.

Several spokes were coming pretty loose after my 4th ride. Luckily i'm in the habit of checking pretty often as I go through wheels like crazy lol. Guess those bonty wheels dont hold their tension that well, although they are actually surprisingly good otherwise. Could also have just been a bad wheel build from the factory, cus after retensioning they have held up fine since.

I was going to get the wheel checked soon as the spokes were "Pinging" when cornering. I think it's done it from new, so likely a build issue.

Posted: Jun 24, 2021 at 13:03 Quote
Internet diagnosis ahead: Likely not a build issue but is why a good bike shop will have you come back after 20-30 to check what has rattled loose. Fixing (tightening) is a lot cheaper than replacing.

Coming back in 9 months later with a problem that's "from day one" and now costs money to fix is pretty tough for a bike shop to want to suck up. Even if it's just 30$ in labour and 5$ in spokes.Try and be cool about it. Hope it resolves in a way that leaves you happy.

Posted: Jun 24, 2021 at 13:57 Quote
fyi, 2022 carbons only slash is out on trek's website, 27.5 listed. Xt brakes instead of slx. GX AXS models.
with no Alloy's listed, i wonder if its going to get an update to fix the Quality issues.

2022 9.9 colour.. ewww

Posted: Jun 24, 2021 at 14:31 Quote
mtbtrekracer wrote:
fyi, 2022 carbons only slash is out on trek's website, 27.5 listed. Xt brakes instead of slx. GX AXS models.
with no Alloy's listed, i wonder if its going to get an update to fix the Quality issues.

2022 9.9 colour.. ewww

eh?

Posted: Jun 24, 2021 at 14:57 Quote
its-joe wrote:
mtbtrekracer wrote:

2022 9.9 colour.. ewww

eh?

2022 models on the website, only carbon versions though.

Posted: Jun 24, 2021 at 14:59 Quote
its-joe wrote:
mtbtrekracer wrote:

2022 9.9 colour.. ewww

eh?

The alloys aren't listed because they are probably sold out into 2023!

There's no 27.5 slash it's just old models/frames being cleared out.

Posted: Jun 24, 2021 at 15:06 Quote
nouseforaname wrote:
its-joe wrote:
mtbtrekracer wrote:

2022 9.9 colour.. ewww

eh?

lol, Trek still list all their models regardless...they dont do a spesh with the status and act like it doesn't exist.
old models/frames? you mean the current gen lol.

Posted: Jun 24, 2021 at 15:07 Quote
nouseforaname wrote:
its-joe wrote:
mtbtrekracer wrote:

2022 9.9 colour.. ewww

eh?

Seems like we got a classic case of a typo. Unless someone is trying to get rad in the product team, just 29" wheels and tires for 2022 Slash models.

-Mitch

Posted: Jun 24, 2021 at 15:08 Quote
trek wrote:
nouseforaname wrote:
its-joe wrote:

eh?

Seems like we got a classic case of a typo. Unless someone is trying to get rad in the product team, just 29" wheels and tires for 2022 Slash models.

-Mitch

If I'm waiting on a 2021 slash and the colourway os gone from the site does that mean I'm going to get bumped onto a boring 2022 colourway?

Posted: Jun 24, 2021 at 15:38 Quote
nouseforaname wrote:
trek wrote:
nouseforaname wrote:

-Mitch

If I'm waiting on a 2021 slash and the colourway os gone from the site does that mean I'm going to get bumped onto a boring 2022 colourway?

Yes and no. It would mainly depend on the production schedule and where your order sits within it. But if your model is to change to an updated 2022 model, we'll notify your dealer so they can give you options without losing your place in the order queue.

-Mitch

Posted: Jun 24, 2021 at 17:12 Quote
Damn those 22 colors are really bad...and what's up with the new tires..I spy a se6 and what it looks like to be a redesigned se5 ..and all the se5 are on sale grey with a giant yellow trek logo..you gota be kidding..and what's up with the sorbet.. hahaha

Posted: Jun 24, 2021 at 19:34 Quote
Blue76 wrote:
Damn those 22 colors are really bad...and what's up with the new tires..I spy a se6 and what it looks like to be a redesigned se5 ..and all the se5 are on sale grey with a giant yellow trek logo..you gota be kidding..and what's up with the sorbet.. hahaha

They're not terrible colours and I'm stoked to get the Slash regardless of the colour.

The SE6 looks good enough that I've thrown a couple on order. That and an SE5 rear are a good combo for fall winter (which is when it looks like the SE6 will show up). Its all about ordering what you want and waiting for it - the bike is ETA 5 weeks, the brakes sometime next year, tires eta November I think.

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007524
Mobile Version of Website