Trek Slash 2021 ?

PB Forum :: Trek
Trek Slash 2021 ?
Posted: Jul 11, 2021 at 14:46 Quote
The code Rs are fine. I already had code RSCs on my trail bike so I just swapped them between bikes.

I put a 180 dropper on my ML and still have a bit of post stuck up above the collar.

Posted: Jul 11, 2021 at 15:12 Quote
iliveonnitro wrote:
dresendsit wrote:
Wheels: Bontrager elite 30 carbon - seen some mixed reviews and they are on the heavy side for carbon. Have a set of noble TR 37s.. worth swapping?

Brakes: Code R - how do these compare to Code RSCs and/or G2s? Worth upgrading?

The Bontrager wheels are good. Keep them.

If you're going to swap brakes, get something good, like TRP DH-R EVOs or Magura.
they updated the carbon wheels for 2021, they are very good, stiff but good. they dont split like the old ones used too.

Posted: Jul 11, 2021 at 20:06 Quote
2 year transferable warranty on the wheels and they are lots stronger than they used to be. I've been running a set on my Fuel as I try and ride it like a Slash (eta 4 weeks!!) and they've held up fine.

I used to write off 1.5 alloy rims a year as a benchmark FYI.

CODE Rs are great spec, wish they were RSCs but they'll do. I'd only swap them for RSCs. Probably try and just swap the levers.

I'm happy with a 150 dropper so I wouldn't swap that.

I think the tires are my least favourite spec, and even then they're OK. Tires should be personal to style, region, trails etc. Have some SE6 on order for the fall/winter. The days of bikes only having Cali spec tires is gone.

There may be upgrades to be had, but the 9.8 spec is pretty ready to shred IMO.

I sat on a ML 9.7 today and it felt pretty natural though an inch shorter than my large Fuel Ex. Which I expected. But still felt comfortable.

Posted: Jul 11, 2021 at 21:08 Quote
nouseforaname wrote:
2 year transferable warranty on the wheels and they are lots stronger than they used to be. I've been running a set on my Fuel as I try and ride it like a Slash (eta 4 weeks!!) and they've held up fine.

I used to write off 1.5 alloy rims a year as a benchmark FYI.

CODE Rs are great spec, wish they were RSCs but they'll do. I'd only swap them for RSCs. Probably try and just swap the levers.

I'm happy with a 150 dropper so I wouldn't swap that.

I think the tires are my least favourite spec, and even then they're OK. Tires should be personal to style, region, trails etc. Have some SE6 on order for the fall/winter. The days of bikes only having Cali spec tires is gone.

There may be upgrades to be had, but the 9.8 spec is pretty ready to shred IMO.

I sat on a ML 9.7 today and it felt pretty natural though an inch shorter than my large Fuel Ex. Which I expected. But still felt comfortable.

Great feedback, thank you. Glad to hear the 150 dropper is working well. I’m on a 180 now so hopefully it’s not something I miss too much. Also good tip on the break levers. I’ll run the code Rs as stock for now.

Agree the tires seem weak. I don’t mess with tires anymore. Esp on trek or specialized bikes when they come with in-house brands. Just put maxxis on and be done. Either Assguy/DHR or DHF/Dissector. Can’t beat those combos for AM riding.

Posted: Jul 12, 2021 at 5:07 Quote
dresendsit wrote:
Hi - have a deposit on a slash 9.8 GX expected to arrive in August. Notice a few bits of the spec that may be considered “weak”.. wondering if anyone with experience can recommend to keep or potentially swap/resell these components right off the bat.

Wheels: Bontrager elite 30 carbon - seen some mixed reviews and they are on the heavy side for carbon. Have a set of noble TR 37s.. worth swapping?

Dropper post: 150mm length on a M/L doesn’t sound great.. anyone else running the 150 and dislike?

Tires - already have maxxis set waiting
(Assguy/DHR)

Other than that, everything looks solid! Open to feedback If I missed anything else that is worth changing.

Quick tip if you're swapping tyres don't go through the pain I went through yesterday using bontragers rim strip on the carbon wheels.. whip it out and tape and valve the rim with something different was wrestling for ages with a tough casing tyre nearly snapped a Pedro's lever! The rim strip gives hardly any room to move the tyre about!

Code RSC Vs code is a noticeable difference, had code on a DH bike and have used RSC on my enduro bikes. The RSC have the different pistons which don't over heat as easy. Plus the contact adjustment and the bearings at the levers instead of bushes make it a much smoother feel.
Just make sure you do a good bleed and they are excellent.

Posted: Jul 12, 2021 at 5:58 Quote
jimyg wrote:

Quick tip if you're swapping tyres don't go through the pain I went through yesterday using bontragers rim strip on the carbon wheels.. whip it out and tape and valve the rim with something different was wrestling for ages with a tough casing tyre nearly snapped a Pedro's lever! The rim strip gives hardly any room to move the tyre about!

Code RSC Vs code is a noticeable difference, had code on a DH bike and have used RSC on my enduro bikes. The RSC have the different pistons which don't over heat as easy. Plus the contact adjustment and the bearings at the levers instead of bushes make it a much smoother feel.

When I have the motivation again/am due for another bleed, I'll swap the rear caliper between my bikes. Had Code Rs on the slash, and RSC on the trail bike. Now slash has RSC lever + caliper on the front, and RSC lever with R caliper on the rear.

Posted: Jul 12, 2021 at 8:14 Quote
WY228 wrote:
Just curious if there are any 5'10" Slash owners that can chime in on which size they went with?

5'10" teeters perfectly between the M/L and L. Doesn't help that test rides with both sizes available are things of the past these days.

I'm 5'11, 33" inseam on a L and I'm loving it.
My previous bike had a 475mm reach and I'm very happy with the extra 11mm reach in any situation/scenario. Even planning to get a longer stem.. Not necessarily for the reach, but to slow down the steering input a bit, therefore looking at trying 40,45,50mm. Smaller bikes make me feel like I'm way too easily on top of the front wheel without actually trying to be in an attack position. I do like the snappier feel of a small bike, but I ride lots of park and prefer the roomier cockpit. I also believe I have enough experience/skill to make the bigger bike feel very playful Big Grin .

Posted: Jul 12, 2021 at 21:26 Quote
jimyg wrote:
dresendsit wrote:
Hi - have a deposit on a slash 9.8 GX expected to arrive in August. Notice a few bits of the spec that may be considered “weak”.. wondering if anyone with experience can recommend to keep or potentially swap/resell these components right off the bat.

Dropper post: 150mm length on a M/L doesn’t sound great.. anyone else running the 150 and dislike?

(Assguy/DHR)

Other than that, everything looks solid! Open to feedback If I missed anything else that is worth changing.

Thanks, appreciate the heads-up on rim strips. Also good to know on brakes. For better or worse, ended up switching to a 9.8 XT build... quicker shipping. Will see how XT brakes fare.

Posted: Jul 12, 2021 at 22:04 Quote
Anyone already swapped their Code R to Code RSC? Heard that the only difference is the brake lever - which I can buy individually.

How easy is the change of the brake lever?

Posted: Jul 13, 2021 at 3:10 Quote
jimyg wrote:
dresendsit wrote:

(Assguy/DHR)

Posted: Jul 13, 2021 at 3:49 Quote
felix571 wrote:
Anyone already swapped their Code R to Code RSC? Heard that the only difference is the brake lever - which I can buy individually.

It's just a matter of installing the new lever and basically doing a lever bleed. But also, RSCs have phenolic pistons, which manage heat better. Piston sizes are all the same between code R and RSC, so power difference is down to the way the lever delivers power. Direct link vs swing link.

Posted: Jul 13, 2021 at 21:59 Quote
zstover wrote:
felix571 wrote:

It's just a matter of installing the new lever and basically doing a lever bleed. But also, RSCs have phenolic pistons, which manage heat better. Piston sizes are all the same between code R and RSC, so power difference is down to the way the lever delivers power. Direct link vs swing link.

Thanks!
I think the difference between the pistons of the R and the RSC are not noticeable for me as an average rider - or what do you think?

Posted: Jul 13, 2021 at 23:41 Quote
felix571 wrote:
zstover wrote:
felix571 wrote:

Thanks!
I think the difference between the pistons of the R and the RSC are not noticeable for me as an average rider - or what do you think?

Do you do long descents or bike park laps? If so if you rode them back to back you could tell. Although I ran codes on a DH bike for a day at a bike park the other week and they were spot on, just don't have the smooth lever feel the RSC do.

Posted: Jul 14, 2021 at 22:40 Quote
jimyg wrote:
felix571 wrote:
zstover wrote:

Thanks!

Do you do long descents or bike park laps? If so if you rode them back to back you could tell. Although I ran codes on a DH bike for a day at a bike park the other week and they were spot on, just don't have the smooth lever feel the RSC do.

Longer descents are only possible in the bike parks here. But I visit the parks on a regular basis.

Yesterday I vented my rear Code R because I was able to pull the lever to the handlebar. While venting I noticed that the there is a small hole in the lever. When I was pushing the DOT into the lever some bubbles and DOT-fluid came out of this hole. Is that normal?

I did that the first time, be kind Smile

Posted: Jul 15, 2021 at 6:05 Quote
felix571 wrote:
jimyg wrote:
felix571 wrote:

Thanks!

Longer descents are only possible in the bike parks here. But I visit the parks on a regular basis.

Yesterday I vented my rear Code R because I was able to pull the lever to the handlebar. While venting I noticed that the there is a small hole in the lever. When I was pushing the DOT into the lever some bubbles and DOT-fluid came out of this hole. Is that normal?

I did that the first time, be kind Smile

I do not like the Code R so far... I went to Schladming once and my rear rotor faded to black (am I breaking too much, or was it too hot ~32°C, both?)
But today I got new 200mm rotors (front and rear) and organic break-pads. I hope those will do the trick... I did not like the "feeling" of the stock pads + rotors (also pretty noisy).

If not I'll swap to RSCs or maybe total different brand...

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006882
Mobile Version of Website