close
Pinkbike is now part of Outside! As of December 3, 2021, please refer to the Outside Terms of Use and Privacy Policy which govern your use of the Pinkbike website and services.

Trek Slash 2021 ?

PB Forum :: Trek
Trek Slash 2021 ?
Author Message
Posted: Jul 26, 2021 at 8:48 Quote
namartens wrote:
I want to upgrade the brakes on my 2021 Slash 9.7 to Shimano Saints with 203mm rotors front and rear. Is it correct my bike has 180mm post mount both on the fork and the rear?

When I look at the stock bike I only see a adapter (presumably +20mm) installed on the front to accomodate the 200mm SRAM rotor and nothing on the rear for the 180mm rear rotor.

After searching online I bought two Shimano SM-MA90-F203P/PM adapters for both front and rear which I thought are the required adapters to fit 203mm rotors on 180mm post mounts (so adding +23mm). Just wanted to check if I bought the correct ones?

You did. Not entirely relevant to this question, but I find it funny that SRAM sells a 203mm rotor but doesn't make an adaptor for a rotor that big -- you have to purchase the Shimano adaptors to fit them.

Posted: Jul 26, 2021 at 11:33 Quote
Why waste the effort on design for marginal sales? SRAM DGAF

Posted: Jul 28, 2021 at 15:24 Quote
After 9 months it finally showed up! 9.8xt. I Added a 210mm One Up dropper, 35mm rise one up carbon bars, shimano saint pedals, bolt on fender, and pnw loam grips. Still waiting on a wolf dropper lever but after one ride I am super impressed. This is my first carbon bike and going up hills is definitely easier and it flies going down. Tires will be soon but figured I might as well try these out and do some skids when I'm ready for a change.

https://imgur.com/kUdPvFj\

Posted: Jul 28, 2021 at 18:06 Quote
the bike didnt had no gap on the headset... and i just clean up and put some grease and now doesnt go all the way in...

and ive already cleaned it and do 2nd time with less grease... and same thing...


Somebody can help me out?

Posted: Jul 29, 2021 at 0:36 Quote
Anyone around 90kg (ready to ride) here who can give me his suspension setup?
On bigger jumps with short kickers it feels like my Bike is compressing a lot and then the rebound fires me up in the air.
Feels very uncontrolled to me.

Got the Slash 8 with the Lyrik Select + fork.

Current setting:

Lyrik Select + (2 tokens installed): 85 PSI, 8 Clicks out

SuperDeluxe Ultimate (1 token installed): 220 PSI, 6 Clicks out



Side question: Clicks out means from turtle to rabbit, right? Big Grin

Posted: Jul 29, 2021 at 0:47 Quote
felix571 wrote:
Anyone around 90kg (ready to ride) here who can give me his suspension setup?
On bigger jumps with short kickers it feels like my Bike is compressing a lot and then the rebound fires me up in the air.
Feels very uncontrolled to me.

Got the Slash 8 with the Lyrik Select + fork.

Current setting:

Lyrik Select + (2 tokens installed): 85 PSI, 8 Clicks out

SuperDeluxe Ultimate (1 token installed): 220 PSI, 6 Clicks out



Side question: Clicks out means from turtle to rabbit, right? Big Grin

https://suspension.trekbikes.com/nz/en#calculator

RockShox Lyrik RC, DebonAir, Charger 2 @90kg gives 83 PSI, 8 clicks of rebound and sag is 26mm
RockShox Super Deluxe Ultimate Thru Shaft @90kg 215PSI, 4 clicks of rebound and sag is 19mm

This will give you a good base setting to start from. Then go out and ride it. change one thing at a time and note how it feels. If it gets better great, if worse go the other way.

from trek's base settings your rear shock is fast on rebound.

clicks out will mean from closed, clockwise till it stops then count clicks out

Posted: Jul 29, 2021 at 3:55 Quote
bakewell wrote:
felix571 wrote:
Anyone around 90kg (ready to ride) here who can give me his suspension setup?
On bigger jumps with short kickers it feels like my Bike is compressing a lot and then the rebound fires me up in the air.
Feels very uncontrolled to me.

Got the Slash 8 with the Lyrik Select + fork.

Current setting:

Lyrik Select + (2 tokens installed): 85 PSI, 8 Clicks out

SuperDeluxe Ultimate (1 token installed): 220 PSI, 6 Clicks out



Side question: Clicks out means from turtle to rabbit, right? Big Grin

https://suspension.trekbikes.com/nz/en#calculator

RockShox Lyrik RC, DebonAir, Charger 2 @90kg gives 83 PSI, 8 clicks of rebound and sag is 26mm
RockShox Super Deluxe Ultimate Thru Shaft @90kg 215PSI, 4 clicks of rebound and sag is 19mm

This will give you a good base setting to start from. Then go out and ride it. change one thing at a time and note how it feels. If it gets better great, if worse go the other way.

from trek's base settings your rear shock is fast on rebound.

clicks out will mean from closed, clockwise till it stops then count clicks out

Clockwise is a point of perspective in this case..
Does fully closed means, that the rebound is slow or fast?

Posted: Jul 29, 2021 at 3:58 Quote
felix571 wrote:
bakewell wrote:
felix571 wrote:
Anyone around 90kg (ready to ride) here who can give me his suspension setup?
On bigger jumps with short kickers it feels like my Bike is compressing a lot and then the rebound fires me up in the air.
Feels very uncontrolled to me.

Got the Slash 8 with the Lyrik Select + fork.

Current setting:

Lyrik Select + (2 tokens installed): 85 PSI, 8 Clicks out

SuperDeluxe Ultimate (1 token installed): 220 PSI, 6 Clicks out



Side question: Clicks out means from turtle to rabbit, right? Big Grin

https://suspension.trekbikes.com/nz/en#calculator

RockShox Lyrik RC, DebonAir, Charger 2 @90kg gives 83 PSI, 8 clicks of rebound and sag is 26mm
RockShox Super Deluxe Ultimate Thru Shaft @90kg 215PSI, 4 clicks of rebound and sag is 19mm

This will give you a good base setting to start from. Then go out and ride it. change one thing at a time and note how it feels. If it gets better great, if worse go the other way.

from trek's base settings your rear shock is fast on rebound.

clicks out will mean from closed, clockwise till it stops then count clicks out

Clockwise is a point of perspective in this case..
Does fully closed means, that the rebound is slow or fast?

Closed means rebound full slow. Full turtle mode. Also the rear shock has literal numbers on the dial.

Posted: Jul 29, 2021 at 4:35 Quote
zstover wrote:
felix571 wrote:
bakewell wrote:


https://suspension.trekbikes.com/nz/en#calculator

RockShox Lyrik RC, DebonAir, Charger 2 @90kg gives 83 PSI, 8 clicks of rebound and sag is 26mm
RockShox Super Deluxe Ultimate Thru Shaft @90kg 215PSI, 4 clicks of rebound and sag is 19mm

This will give you a good base setting to start from. Then go out and ride it. change one thing at a time and note how it feels. If it gets better great, if worse go the other way.

from trek's base settings your rear shock is fast on rebound.

clicks out will mean from closed, clockwise till it stops then count clicks out

Clockwise is a point of perspective in this case..
Does fully closed means, that the rebound is slow or fast?

Closed means rebound full slow. Full turtle mode. Also the rear shock has literal numbers on the dial.

And these literal numbers are counted from (1) slow to fast (10) as well? Have my bike not here, otherwise I would test it.

Posted: Jul 29, 2021 at 7:44 Quote
I believe so. Traditionally all suspension settings are given as clicks from closed (full slow). So full slow would be 1 and full fast is whatever the max is.

I'd be pretty upset if trek and fox and RS all decided to FINALLY put numbers on suspension dials and then ignored convention and went backwards.

Posted: Jul 29, 2021 at 8:03 Quote
dksousa wrote:
the bike didnt had no gap on the headset... and i just clean up and put some grease and now doesnt go all the way in...

and ive already cleaned it and do 2nd time with less grease... and same thing...



Somebody can help me out?

Posted: Jul 29, 2021 at 14:14 Quote
Just thought I'd share a recent pic of my custom built 9.8. This is the 2nd Slash I've owned and this bike is just insane how well it does everything.

Swapped the fork to a Zeb Ultimate
Installed a Vorsprung Secus
Laced the carbon rims to some Onyx hubs
New style Shimano rotors
Descendant carbon cranks
Oval Chain ring
Deity bars
Custom stem that I designed and machined
XTR Brakes

With the Onyx hubs the bike is completely silent now. Its kind of a weird feeling, but its such a fun bike.


Posted: Jul 30, 2021 at 7:59 Quote
robbie92835 wrote:
Just thought I'd share a recent pic of my custom built 9.8. This is the 2nd Slash I've owned and this bike is just insane how well it does everything.

Swapped the fork to a Zeb Ultimate
Installed a Vorsprung Secus
Laced the carbon rims to some Onyx hubs
New style Shimano rotors
Descendant carbon cranks
Oval Chain ring
Deity bars
Custom stem that I designed and machined
XTR Brakes

With the Onyx hubs the bike is completely silent now. Its kind of a weird feeling, but its such a fun bike.

Nice! How does the Zeb Ultimate feel compared to the Select+? (with or without Secus)

Posted: Jul 30, 2021 at 8:06 Quote
dksousa wrote:
dksousa wrote:
the bike didnt had no gap on the headset... and i just clean up and put some grease and now doesnt go all the way in...

and ive already cleaned it and do 2nd time with less grease... and same thing...



Somebody can help me out?

What size gap?
All the parts just fit easily into each other, the only thing you could get wrong would be the compression ring which would be pretty obvious and create a ~2mm gap (and probably damage the ring). If that's all good, torque/preload the headset and stem, ride around a bit and double check you don't have any play, double check the headset is still preloaded/torqued and go riding! (Always remember to loosen the stem off of the streer tube when adjusting the torque/preload on the headset.)

Posted: Jul 30, 2021 at 18:16 Quote
pqbb wrote:
dksousa wrote:
dksousa wrote:
the bike didnt had no gap on the headset... and i just clean up and put some grease and now doesnt go all the way in...

and ive already cleaned it and do 2nd time with less grease... and same thing...



Somebody can help me out?

What size gap?
All the parts just fit easily into each other, the only thing you could get wrong would be the compression ring which would be pretty obvious and create a ~2mm gap (and probably damage the ring). If that's all good, torque/preload the headset and stem, ride around a bit and double check you don't have any play, double check the headset is still preloaded/torqued and go riding! (Always remember to loosen the stem off of the streer tube when adjusting the torque/preload on the headset.)

The early Slash 2021 Alloy frames were made poorly at the top headset bearing seat. There was an obvious and ugly gap due to the bearing seat not being deep enough in the frame.

This is now resolved for affected bikes by a deeper headset top cap. And did not affect Carbon bikes.


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007011
Mobile Version of Website