Trek Slash 2021 ?

PB Forum :: Trek
Trek Slash 2021 ?
Posted: Jul 31, 2021 at 9:52 Quote
How is everyone liking their Zeb in the ‘select+‘ model? I’ve had two rides and am pretty impressed - it handles successive big hits much better than my 36 grip 2, but offers a little less traction than the 36 at high speed. Might be a tuning issue - Hoping if I drop down .5 or 1 psi it might help with traction (LSC fully open).. but otherwise promising.

I know the select+ lacks HSC adjustment compared to the Ultimate - assume select+ is valved to something that would match two-ish clicks of HSC on the ultimate? For LSC, I read some reviews run 9 clicks on the ultimate, wonder if that’s a good starting place for the select+ too… Although even fully open I’m not sure it felt like it needed more LSC.

As far as tokens go, I’m showing select+ comes with 1 token installed. Again reviewers (who weigh ~180 lbs) removed all the tokens because they struggle to use full travel. I’m tempted to remove the token as well…

Finally, anyone think the Zeb ultimate is worth the upgrade over select+?

Cheers

Posted: Jul 31, 2021 at 11:11 Quote
im happy with my select+ so far. at 75kg ride. ready im running 60psi, 1 token and 5 klicks of lsc.
on my roadtrip with lots of fast technical singletrails i tried 55psi with two tokens, felt very smooth but didn like it on steeper sections

Posted: Jul 31, 2021 at 14:47 Quote
pAzk wrote:
im happy with my select+ so far. at 75kg ride. ready im running 60psi, 1 token and 5 klicks of lsc.
on my roadtrip with lots of fast technical singletrails i tried 55psi with two tokens, felt very smooth but didn like it on steeper sections

Interesting. Is your rider weight 75kg or weight on the scale? 75kg rider weight would put you at 56 psi according to Rockshox. Are you riding mostly bike park stuff? Otherwise seems pretty stiff for your weight

Posted: Jul 31, 2021 at 20:12 Quote
rider weight. 73kg on scale
nope, mostly single trails trails, just 5-10 bikepark days a year

Posted: Aug 1, 2021 at 7:14 Quote
im still tuning the ultimate for DH park. 53pounds air, no tokens LSC wide open HSC in the middle. Still not using all travel and my hands are shot at the end of the day. I weigh 200 pounds. anyone have a suggestion on making this fork less stiff and hand fatigue.

Posted: Aug 1, 2021 at 7:23 Quote
calarco68 wrote:
im still tuning the ultimate for DH park. 53pounds air, no tokens LSC wide open HSC in the middle. Still not using all travel and my hands are shot at the end of the day. I weigh 200 pounds. anyone have a suggestion on making this fork less stiff and hand fatigue.

You weigh 200 lbs and can’t bottom out at 53 psi? That sounds strange…your recommended PSI is a lot higher and 59 feels almost perfect at 170lbs for me. Try higher pressure, HSC at two clicks out (from full CCW) and LSC anywhere from 4 to 9 clicks out from full CCW. This is what most reviews settled on I believe.

Also read that reviewers were removing all tokens. Might be worth trying if you can’t bottom out.

Posted: Aug 1, 2021 at 7:51 Quote
My psi is off. but Ill give those settings a try. Thanks a bunch

Posted: Aug 2, 2021 at 0:11 Quote
nouseforaname wrote:
pqbb wrote:
dksousa wrote:

Somebody can help me out?

What size gap?
All the parts just fit easily into each other, the only thing you could get wrong would be the compression ring which would be pretty obvious and create a ~2mm gap (and probably damage the ring). If that's all good, torque/preload the headset and stem, ride around a bit and double check you don't have any play, double check the headset is still preloaded/torqued and go riding! (Always remember to loosen the stem off of the streer tube when adjusting the torque/preload on the headset.)

The early Slash 2021 Alloy frames were made poorly at the top headset bearing seat. There was an obvious and ugly gap due to the bearing seat not being deep enough in the frame.

This is now resolved for affected bikes by a deeper headset top cap. And did not affect Carbon bikes.

Where can I get this deeper headset cap? Never heard of it before..

Posted: Aug 2, 2021 at 1:37 Quote
felix571 wrote:
nouseforaname wrote:
pqbb wrote:

What size gap?
All the parts just fit easily into each other, the only thing you could get wrong would be the compression ring which would be pretty obvious and create a ~2mm gap (and probably damage the ring). If that's all good, torque/preload the headset and stem, ride around a bit and double check you don't have any play, double check the headset is still preloaded/torqued and go riding! (Always remember to loosen the stem off of the streer tube when adjusting the torque/preload on the headset.)

The early Slash 2021 Alloy frames were made poorly at the top headset bearing seat. There was an obvious and ugly gap due to the bearing seat not being deep enough in the frame.

This is now resolved for affected bikes by a deeper headset top cap. And did not affect Carbon bikes.

This is referring to deeper machining on the frame, not a part that can be swapped out unfortunately. I wonder what Trek is proposing for owners of the early Slash with this problem...

Posted: Aug 2, 2021 at 1:49 Quote
biker1969 wrote:
felix571 wrote:
nouseforaname wrote:

This is referring to deeper machining on the frame, not a part that can be swapped out unfortunately. I wonder what Trek is proposing for owners of the early Slash with this problem...
nothing, they wont do anything, which is poor. i ended up getting mine machined deeper and then the bike went quiet(after about the 3rd round of grease everything).
snapped two lower shock bolts on non drive side due to QC so ended up getting it machined and running different bolt - sold that bike, rode well but im awkward sizing so the large with slack STA and long reach didnt suit me.

Posted: Aug 2, 2021 at 2:00 Quote
mtbtrekracer wrote:
biker1969 wrote:
felix571 wrote:

nothing, they wont do anything, which is poor. i ended up getting mine machined deeper and then the bike went quiet(after about the 3rd round of grease everything).
snapped two lower shock bolts on non drive side due to QC so ended up getting it machined and running different bolt - sold that bike, rode well but im awkward sizing so the large with slack STA and long reach didnt suit me.

Wow, sorry to hear that. How hard were you riding when the bolts snapped?
Mine had a bolt literally fall out during an easy trail ride. Trek sent another bolt under warranty after some back and forth with the shop and I haven't had any problems since. Mine is also making annoying clicking noises that I can't seem to get rid of and I suspect its the headset. I'm reluctant to machine the frame though.

Posted: Aug 2, 2021 at 3:00 Quote
mine was making the clicking sound untill i got the headset sorted, some have had luck with it being the main pivot bolt being dry.
They wernt snapping during riding but during being maintained, they were always torqued to spec, even bought a new wrench and they were seriously tight coming out they broke.
trek at the end of 2020 refused to do anything about my headset so i had a heated argument with the trek store, they did offer like 30% off my next bike(ive owned treks for a long time not being my only brand though) for which i didnt accept and ended up selling all my treks after testing others except for the lads top fuel he uses in XC racing.

thats when i got mine machined as at the time i only had that bike as an enduro untill i bought several other bikes to trial myself before choosing what i wanted to keep(demo bikes not avail due to covid at the time)

Posted: Aug 2, 2021 at 7:52 Quote
biker1969 wrote:

This is referring to deeper machining on the frame, not a part that can be swapped out unfortunately. I wonder what Trek is proposing for owners of the early Slash with this problem...[/Quote]

It's not referring to deeper machining of the frame.

It's referring to the upper headset bearing cover. And if you have an affected Slash 8 then it should be a warranty fix. Contact your dealer.

Not referring to machining anything deeper, and you definitely should not do that!

Posted: Aug 2, 2021 at 8:27 Quote
You guys are all tripping..I've had one of the first batches..with the headset gap..it's nothing to be worried about..didn't even notice it until I went on this page..I've had zero problems with the bike..been hammering since Feb... check your bolts lube your chain and ride your bikes..

Posted: Aug 2, 2021 at 9:51 Quote
Blue76 wrote:
check your bolts lube your chain and ride your bikes..

Words to live by right there

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006565
Mobile Version of Website