Trek Slash 2021 ?

PB Forum :: Trek
Trek Slash 2021 ?
Posted: Sep 13, 2021 at 1:02 Quote
samty wrote:
New bike day! 2021 Slash 8. Just finished a little customization - Dyedbro Aotearoa wrap, Invisiframe decals. Looks way better than the orange I think. Stoked on how it came out.

2021 Trek Slash 8. Dyedbro Aotearoa wrap Invisiframe decals

Nice bike! I might steal your idea!

Posted: Sep 13, 2021 at 4:04 Quote
Anyone got the Slash 8 in the colour "teal to nautical navy fade" with the aluminium Oneup Components pedals?
Not sure which colour of the pedals will fit the bike.

Posted: Sep 13, 2021 at 7:10 Quote
My son's bike for its first enduro race:

main mods:
- galfer disks front and rear (+20mm each)
- cushcore xc rear
- maxis dd tires
- renthal grips
- full ridewrap kit

Posted: Sep 13, 2021 at 18:42 Quote
Look great! (I have that same colorway). Small? Medium?

Jeff197206 wrote:
My son's bike for its first enduro race:

main mods:
- galfer disks front and rear (+20mm each)
- cushcore xc rear
- maxis dd tires
- renthal grips
- full ridewrap kit

Posted: Sep 14, 2021 at 12:26 Quote
looking at a new slash 8 of 9 to replace my ibis ripmo af, looking for a bike with better suspension and more confidence down but still climbs good. only see parks a couple times a year so need to peddle up.
alloy or is carbon going to be noticable better, feel lighter ect.
also 5'10 was thinking ml?
whats everybodys thoughts

Posted: Sep 14, 2021 at 13:25 Quote
motorcross1200 wrote:
looking at a new slash 8 of 9 to replace my ibis ripmo af, looking for a bike with better suspension and more confidence down but still climbs good. only see parks a couple times a year so need to peddle up.

Very different feeling bikes IMO> Slash will pedal a lot differently than your Ripmo. Less platform built into the suspension from chai force. It may feel more sluggish than the ripmo. No problems climbing for me, but my climb trails are usually technical with lots of roots and rocks that I'm glad the suspension is moving over. If I just had fireroad climbs i'd probably use the lockout a bunch.

I'm 5'11" and went with a M/L and put a 40mm stem on it to make it fit better. Feels shorter than the last (L) Fuel EX i had (and is shorter...) but feels more nimble on the trail. Fit feels great climbing or descending.

Posted: Sep 14, 2021 at 13:43 Quote
nouseforaname wrote:
motorcross1200 wrote:

Very different feeling bikes IMO> Slash will pedal a lot differently than your Ripmo. Less platform built into the suspension from chai force. It may feel more sluggish than the ripmo. No problems climbing for me, but my climb trails are usually technical with lots of roots and rocks that I'm glad the suspension is moving over. If I just had fireroad climbs i'd probably use the lockout a bunch.

I'm 5'11" and went with a M/L and put a 40mm stem on it to make it fit better. Feels shorter than the last (L) Fuel EX i had (and is shorter...) but feels more nimble on the trail. Fit feels great climbing or descending.
Mostly trail climbs with roots and rocks, what model slash did you get?

Posted: Sep 14, 2021 at 15:11 Quote
motorcross1200 wrote:
nouseforaname wrote:
motorcross1200 wrote:

Mostly trail climbs with roots and rocks, what model slash did you get?

I got a Slash 9.8 GX (at the time that had an earlier delivery than teh XT Spec that I wanted, and then it arrived AFTER the XT spec bikes!). The 8 or the 9.8 are the two 'good' value bikes IMO. If I could have done it the way I wanted I would have got the 8 and put carbon wheels on it.

Posted: Sep 14, 2021 at 17:05 Quote
motorcross1200 wrote:

I have the Slash 8 (alloy) and love it. I think that model really offers the best bang for buck, and then leaves a bit of room in the bank account to swap a few parts out to suit. With proper tires on (Maxxis DD rear, Exo+ front), mine weighs about 35.5 lbs in size large, no pedals. Not super light, but reasonable for a bike with these intentions. Climbing platform is really supportive I find. I'm 6'1" on size L and I do find I'm a little further back on the bike than I'd like while climbing. Not a deal breaker, but STA could be a touch steeper to help with steeper techy climbs. Bit of a guess, but I don't think you'd have quite such the same issue at your height on a ML size. I'd recommend ML for you. I'm sure the Ripmo would take the win on the climbs, but the Slash would clean it up on proper descents. Can't have your cake and eat it too unfortunately!

Posted: Sep 15, 2021 at 7:38 Quote
I am 5`7, what frame size will be better S (reach=425mm) or M (reach=450mm)?

Posted: Sep 15, 2021 at 7:47 Quote
qubekjl wrote:
I am 5`7, what frame size will be better S (reach=425mm) or M (reach=450mm)?

At 5'7" you're at the very top end of the medium per Trek's size chart. I would go with the M if I were you.

Posted: Sep 15, 2021 at 13:38 Quote
As Im already riding the second set of GX cranks on my Slash 8 and the clicking sound from the connection between left crank arm and axle just stared again Im wondering if anybody experience the same with their GX cranks?
Maybe anybody already switched to different cranks and can tell me which of them will fit?

BB and pedals were checked and are not the cause for the clicking!

Thanks guys!

Posted: Sep 15, 2021 at 13:47 Quote
felix571 wrote:
As Im already riding the second set of GX cranks on my Slash 8 and the clicking sound from the connection between left crank arm and axle just stared again Im wondering if anybody experience the same with their GX cranks?
Maybe anybody already switched to different cranks and can tell me which of them will fit?

BB and pedals were checked and are not the cause for the clicking!

Thanks guys!

Cranks could be almost anything chain related making that noise. Pull the cranks, make sure bb spindle is greased, chainring bolts are tight - I put grease on the interface between chainring and crank. Grease on pedal threads. Torque crank correctly.
Check your cassette is tight - grease teh xd driver.

^ Some fo the many things that can cause noise at the crank.

Posted: Sep 15, 2021 at 20:31 Quote
You threw on a second set of pedals that don't make noise, just to be sure? If so, clean and grease the shit out of it.

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008320
Mobile Version of Website