Trek Slash 2021 ?

PB Forum :: Trek
Trek Slash 2021 ?
Posted: Sep 16, 2021 at 3:54 Quote
iliveonnitro wrote:
You threw on a second set of pedals that don't make noise, just to be sure? If so, clean and grease the shit out of it.

Yes I am sure Big Grin

To make it clear, the clicking is identified and appears not only while on load. If I step on the pedal and push it into the bike (to create lateral load) the clicking comes from this area (Im sorry for the bad quality):

That is the connection point between the crank and the axle (not the screwed connection on the drive-side).

Posted: Sep 17, 2021 at 19:31 Quote
Just bought a new slash 8 and my bottom bracket keeps coming back with a creak. Have about 80 miles on it now on mostly dry conditions. At 40 miles the creak was unbearable so I brought it in to trek to pay $20 to have them grease the bottom bracket. At 80 now and it’s coming back louder and louder with every mile. Also can’t get my down tube plastic protector to stay on with the stock adhesive tape. The carbon models get screws but the aluminum only tape? Anyone have a fix for both? Thanks. Tal

Posted: Sep 20, 2021 at 0:01 Quote
Talmacc wrote:
Just bought a new slash 8 and my bottom bracket keeps coming back with a creak. Have about 80 miles on it now on mostly dry conditions. At 40 miles the creak was unbearable so I brought it in to trek to pay $20 to have them grease the bottom bracket. At 80 now and it’s coming back louder and louder with every mile. Also can’t get my down tube plastic protector to stay on with the stock adhesive tape. The carbon models get screws but the aluminum only tape? Anyone have a fix for both? Thanks. Tal

Fixed my downtube protector with black sikaflex, works good for now 8 months.
Sikaflex is very strong but flexible (which is important if you clamp your bike in a bike carrier on the roof of the car for example).
In my case I had problems with creaking at the active breaking point (and a lot of other owners as well) maybe check that before you grease the BB again.

Posted: Sep 20, 2021 at 3:53 Quote
felix571 wrote:
Talmacc wrote:

Fixed my downtube protector with black sikaflex, works good for now 8 months.
Sikaflex is very strong but flexible (which is important if you clamp your bike in a bike carrier on the roof of the car for example).
In my case I had problems with creaking at the active breaking point (and a lot of other owners as well) maybe check that before you grease the BB again.

I took my frame protector off, lightly scuffed the paint below with a scotchbrite pad, cleaned the frame with alcohol, pulled off all the old adhesive from the protector, and lined the whole thing with 3M VHB 5952 foam double sided tape. Good so far.

Next item for me - I've been trying to fit the 165mm length normal boost cranks I bought. I have a 0mm offset chainring, and the correct 4.5mm drive side spacer with no NDS spacers. The cranks tighten up correctly, and theoretically it should still be a 55mm chain line, but right now, the inside of my drive side crank arm is rubbing the top chain keeper on my MRP chain guide/bash guard. Not 100% sure if it's because the guide is so low due to it being set up for a 30T chain ring, or if I'm SOL. I may just be waiting until SRAM actually releases their DUB wide 165mm cranks for 55mm chain line bikes. ugh.

Posted: Sep 20, 2021 at 7:39 Quote
Does any one notice this bike having trouble gathering speed over rocky tracks? (lots of smaller rocks especially) I clearly notice it on a mellower incline. I’m loosing lots of time compared to friends. Despite the same line choices.

Posted: Sep 20, 2021 at 9:13 Quote
bermchaser wrote:
Does any one notice this bike having trouble gathering speed over rocky tracks? (lots of smaller rocks especially) I clearly notice it on a mellower incline. I’m loosing lots of time compared to friends. Despite the same line choices.

LOL. That is a crazy open question. So little defined.

Posted: Sep 20, 2021 at 10:03 Quote
bermchaser wrote:

No offense but I think something like this would have a lot more to do with the rider than the bike. Just using the same line as your friends doesn't guarantee the same speed/time as them.

See if one of your riding buddies would let you swap bikes to try one of these sections and see if you get the same result.

Posted: Sep 20, 2021 at 10:59 Quote
WY228 wrote:
bermchaser wrote:

No offense but I think something like this would have a lot more to do with the rider than the bike. Just using the same line as your friends doesn't guarantee the same speed/time as them.

See if one of your riding buddies would let you swap bikes to try one of these sections and see if you get the same result.

None taken. I was faster in those type of sections on my previous bike as well, a commencal meta am. Haven’t switched bikes since my friends ride very different setups to me. I have tried riding those sections in different ways, more relaxed and letting the suspension work is for sure the slowest. Allowing the bike to skip a little works better. Sort of hard to explain, just curious if any one is noticing this as well. I always end up with bad results on these mellower rock gardens. Maybe it’s down to suspension setup.

Posted: Sep 20, 2021 at 11:07 Quote
nouseforaname wrote:
bermchaser wrote:

Very lol.
That’s because I’m slow on every mellow rock garden in existence, on this bike in particular

Posted: Sep 20, 2021 at 11:21 Quote
bermchaser wrote:
nouseforaname wrote:
bermchaser wrote:

Very lol.
That’s because I’m slow on every mellow rock garden in existence, on this bike in particular

This bike eats rock gardens for breakfast. If it is a bike problem and not a rider issue, only options are suspension and/or tires not setup correctly.

Posted: Sep 20, 2021 at 11:27 Quote
dresendsit wrote:
bermchaser wrote:
nouseforaname wrote:

Very lol.

This bike eats rock gardens for breakfast. If it is a bike problem and not a rider issue, only options are suspension and/or tires not setup correctly.

That’s what I feel as well! As long as the hills are somewhat steep! I believe I’ve got some tinkering to do. But it feels really sorted as it is everywhere else.

Posted: Sep 20, 2021 at 12:58 Quote
bermchaser wrote:
dresendsit wrote:
bermchaser wrote:

Very lol.

That’s what I feel as well! As long as the hills are somewhat steep! I believe I’ve got some tinkering to do. But it feels really sorted as it is everywhere else.

Might be able to point you in the right direction...

Which tires/tire pressures are you running?
Which suspension do you have, and what pressures are you running in the fork/shock?

Posted: Sep 20, 2021 at 13:10 Quote
bermchaser wrote:
None taken. I was faster in those type of sections on my previous bike as well, a commencal meta am. Haven’t switched bikes since my friends ride very different setups to me. I have tried riding those sections in different ways, more relaxed and letting the suspension work is for sure the slowest. Allowing the bike to skip a little works better. Sort of hard to explain, just curious if any one is noticing this as well. I always end up with bad results on these mellower rock gardens. Maybe it’s down to suspension setup.

I'd bet its very likely your setup then. You probably had your old Meta AM better dialed for these sections. And if you had that bike for a while you were probably more familiar and confident on it.

Posted: Sep 20, 2021 at 13:10 Quote
dresendsit wrote:
bermchaser wrote:
dresendsit wrote:

Which suspension do you have, and what pressures are you running in the fork/shock?

25-26 psi in the rear, about 20-22 in the front in those dryer conditions. Zeb ultimate with 1.5 volume reducers, 57 psi. 1 click off HSC from open, 6 clicks on LSC from open. 7 clicks of rebound from open.

Super deluxe ultimate thru shaft rear, 180 psi, 6 clicks of rebound, one volume reducer.

About 68 kilos in gear.

Posted: Sep 20, 2021 at 13:35 Quote
bermchaser wrote:
dresendsit wrote:
bermchaser wrote:

25-26 psi in the rear, about 20-22 in the front in those dryer conditions. Zeb ultimate with 1.5 volume reducers, 57 psi. 1 click off HSC from open, 6 clicks on LSC from open. 7 clicks of rebound from open.

Super deluxe ultimate thru shaft rear, 180 psi, 6 clicks of rebound, one volume reducer.

About 68 kilos in gear.

Your suspension sounds pretty stiff for 150 lbs, so I checked and according to Trek/Rockshox you should be at 48 in the fork and 165 on the rear.

This would align with not feeling good in rock gardens if you are setup too stiff. 48 vs 57 psi is a huge difference in the Zeb. 165 vs 180 in the rear is pretty significant too.

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.008152
Mobile Version of Website