Trek Slash 2021 ?

PB Forum :: Trek
Trek Slash 2021 ?
Posted: Sep 20, 2021 at 21:25 Quote
dresendsit wrote:
bermchaser wrote:
dresendsit wrote:

Might be able to point you in the right direction...

Which tires/tire pressures are you running?
Which suspension do you have, and what pressures are you running in the fork/shock?

25-26 psi in the rear, about 20-22 in the front in those dryer conditions. Zeb ultimate with 1.5 volume reducers, 57 psi. 1 click off HSC from open, 6 clicks on LSC from open. 7 clicks of rebound from open.

Super deluxe ultimate thru shaft rear, 180 psi, 6 clicks of rebound, one volume reducer.

About 68 kilos in gear.

Your suspension sounds pretty stiff for 150 lbs, so I checked and according to Trek/Rockshox you should be at 48 in the fork and 165 on the rear.

This would align with not feeling good in rock gardens if you are setup too stiff. 48 vs 57 psi is a huge difference in the Zeb. 165 vs 180 in the rear is pretty significant too.

Yes, I’ve tried the recommended settings, but ending up bottoming out too much. This works pretty good. Using a good amount off travel, usually bottoming out a couple off times per stage

Posted: Sep 21, 2021 at 6:56 Quote
bermchaser wrote:
Yes, I’ve tried the recommended settings, but ending up bottoming out too much. This works pretty good. Using a good amount off travel, usually bottoming out a couple off times per stage

You need to add volume tokens to your fork and shock if you're bottoming out at your correct sag and settings. Will let you run these lower pressures but will ramp up at the end of travel to prevent bottom out.

Posted: Sep 21, 2021 at 7:03 Quote
bermchaser wrote:
dresendsit wrote:
bermchaser wrote:

25-26 psi in the rear, about 20-22 in the front in those dryer conditions. Zeb ultimate with 1.5 volume reducers, 57 psi. 1 click off HSC from open, 6 clicks on LSC from open. 7 clicks of rebound from open.

Super deluxe ultimate thru shaft rear, 180 psi, 6 clicks of rebound, one volume reducer.

About 68 kilos in gear.

Your suspension sounds pretty stiff for 150 lbs, so I checked and according to Trek/Rockshox you should be at 48 in the fork and 165 on the rear.

This would align with not feeling good in rock gardens if you are setup too stiff. 48 vs 57 psi is a huge difference in the Zeb. 165 vs 180 in the rear is pretty significant too.

I would lower air pressure and add tokens. Or just know that your suspension is setup for flow trails and not technical/rough stuff. Your sag is probably not right at 180 psi and 150lbs. I'm about 175 kitted and running 195 in the rear (compression in the + setting). 195 fees great for bike park, bottom out occasionally on big drops but really felt smooth through everything, I probably need to add a token too but it's not a big deal.

I was running the Zeb at 61 PSI. I've gone up to 70 and it felt okay. But again it didn't feel as compliant. Again 57 sounds pretty high, worth trying lower pressure and more tokens. I personally ended up switching to a 38.

Posted: Sep 21, 2021 at 8:23 Quote
dresendsit wrote:
bermchaser wrote:
dresendsit wrote:

I would lower air pressure and add tokens. Or just know that your suspension is setup for flow trails and not technical/rough stuff. Your sag is probably not right at 180 psi and 150lbs. I'm about 175 kitted and running 195 in the rear (compression in the + setting). 195 fees great for bike park, bottom out occasionally on big drops but really felt smooth through everything, I probably need to add a token too but it's not a big deal.

I was running the Zeb at 61 PSI. I've gone up to 70 and it felt okay. But again it didn't feel as compliant. Again 57 sounds pretty high, worth trying lower pressure and more tokens. I personally ended up switching to a 38.

But I think the bike is compliant as is! It’s absolutely perfect for big steep rough tracks, it’s the flatter rock gardens where I notice it. It feels like the suspensions is sucking up all of my momentum. Not sure why a softer and more progressive setup would help, but it’s worth a try. Personally I don’t like sitting in to the travel too much as the bike feels less responsive and inefficient when pedaling.

Posted: Sep 21, 2021 at 9:19 Quote
bermchaser wrote:
dresendsit wrote:
bermchaser wrote:

But I think the bike is compliant as is! It’s absolutely perfect for big steep rough tracks, it’s the flatter rock gardens where I notice it. It feels like the suspensions is sucking up all of my momentum. Not sure why a softer and more progressive setup would help, but it’s worth a try. Personally I don’t like sitting in to the travel too much as the bike feels less responsive and inefficient when pedaling.

You can run the suspension a little stiffer for "pedaling efficiency" but you're going too stiff IMO. I would add like 5 PSI in the rear over recommended and maybe 1-2 PSI up front and give that a try. Anything more and you're hitting diminishing returns while compromising the suspension. If you need the bike to pedal better than run some lighter/faster rolling tires and consider increasing low speed compression in the Zeb, and of course lockout the rear shock.

Posted: Sep 21, 2021 at 9:49 Quote
No bike feels smooth when you're smashing it through a rock garden, not even DH bikes lol. You gotta just relax and absorb the hits as best as you can. Totally agree than the recommended suspension settings for the Slash are way too soft though. I run like 15psi more both ends than recommended for my weight lol.

Posted: Sep 21, 2021 at 9:51 Quote
its-joe wrote:
No bike feels smooth when you're smashing it through a rock garden, not even DH bikes lol. You gotta just relax and absorb the hits as best as you can. Totally agree than the recommended suspension settings for the Slash are way too soft though. I run like 15psi more both ends than recommended for my weight lol.

Speak for yourself my slash feels awesome in rock gardens. Point and shoot, don't have to pick lines.

Posted: Sep 21, 2021 at 10:34 Quote
For what it's worth, I also think the trek recommendations are too low for my weight and riding style (they are probably good for the majority of riders who aren't as fast/rough etc).

I'm 165 with gear and these days I run:
Rear shock:
-188 PSI
-Added 2 tokens
-rebound = 5
-compression on - (minus) most of the time

I still bottom it out if I over clear big features (40 footers or big step downs), but that's normal and only happens once or twice per ride.
If I'm riding normally with no accidental hucks, I use all the travel except the last millimetre or 2.
Overall I'm happy with the rear shock setup and performance and am not looking for improvements.

Zeb Select+:
-54 PSI
-Added 1 token (so 2 in total)
-forget the rebound setting, but faster rather than slower
-low speed compression = 3 clicks from fully open

I also bottom it out on accidental hucks, but it's feeling pretty good.
If I'm riding normally with no accidental hucks, I use all the travel except the last ~10 millimetres.
I'm still looking for ways to increase compliance to smaller impacts and increase overall traction, I might look into getting the HC97 upgrade this winter. I feel the fork has great support, but the small bump compliance VS bottom out resistance is not easy to tune to my liking (I already tried 0,1,2,3 and 4 tokens with many different pressures). I might also look into the runt upgrade.

Posted: Sep 21, 2021 at 10:50 Quote
pqbb wrote:
For what it's worth, I also think the trek recommendations are too low for my weight and riding style (they are probably good for the majority of riders who aren't as fast/rough etc).

Rear shock:
-188 PSI
-Added 2 tokens
-rebound = 5

I still bottom it out if I over clear big features (40 footers or big step downs), but that's normal and only happens once or twice per ride.
If I'm riding normally with no accidental hucks, I use all the travel except the last millimetre or 2.
Overall I'm happy with the rear shock setup and performance and am not looking for improvements.

Zeb Select+:
-54 PSI

If I'm riding normally with no accidental hucks, I use all the travel except the last ~10 millimetres.
I'm still looking for ways to increase compliance to smaller impacts and increase overall traction, I might look into getting the HC97 upgrade this winter. I feel the fork has great support, but the small bump compliance VS bottom out resistance is not easy to tune to my liking (I already tried 0,1,2,3 and 4 tokens with many different pressures). I might also look into the runt upgrade.

At 165 lbs you're basically exactly at what Trek recommends... actually softer in fork, Rockshox says 56 PSI in Fork vs your 54. Rear recommended is 185 and you have 188..

Reviewers constantly said the Zeb guide for pressure is pretty spot on.

Posted: Sep 21, 2021 at 10:54 Quote
dresendsit wrote:
its-joe wrote:

Speak for yourself my slash feels awesome in rock gardens. Point and shoot, don't have to pick lines.

Exactly why i said the question was too open ended. There's no way to interpret the many factors aside from the bike that are making up his experience. Easier to answer whether a plane on a conveyor belt will take off.

Posted: Sep 21, 2021 at 12:22 Quote
nouseforaname wrote:
dresendsit wrote:
its-joe wrote:

Exactly why i said the question was too open ended. There's no way to interpret the many factors aside from the bike that are making up his experience. Easier to answer whether a plane on a conveyor belt will take off.

That conveyor belt/plane riddle is based off of an impossible assumption to start with... (the idea that the belt can always match the speed of the wheels would send the whole thing into an approaching-infinity situation)

sorry. that riddle is a trigger for me lol

Posted: Sep 21, 2021 at 13:06 Quote
ksilvey10 wrote:
nouseforaname wrote:
dresendsit wrote:

That conveyor belt/plane riddle is based off of an impossible assumption to start with... (the idea that the belt can always match the speed of the wheels would send the whole thing into an approaching-infinity situation)

Wouldn't matter what the speed of the conveyor belt is. Planes take off because of air passing over the wings, not because of wheel speed.

Posted: Sep 21, 2021 at 13:18 Quote
dresendsit wrote:
pqbb wrote:

Rear shock:
-188 PSI
-Added 2 tokens
-rebound = 5

Zeb Select+:
-54 PSI

At 165 lbs you're basically exactly at what Trek recommends... actually softer in fork, Rockshox says 56 PSI in Fork vs your 54. Rear recommended is 185 and you have 188..

Reviewers constantly said the Zeb guide for pressure is pretty spot on.

Here, hard to tell what’s happening with the shock, but to me it looks like I’m using the fork travel pretty okay, I’m gonna see if I can get a clip from a rock garden
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CTK9m5OIT_M/?utm_medium=copy_link

Posted: Sep 21, 2021 at 13:55 Quote
ksilvey10 wrote:

iliveonnitro wrote:
Wouldn't matter what the speed of the conveyor belt is. Planes take off because of air passing over the wings, not because of wheel speed.

Thanks for playing. Isn't this more fun than talking about magical slowing rockgardens.

Posted: Sep 21, 2021 at 13:57 Quote
nouseforaname wrote:
ksilvey10 wrote:

iliveonnitro wrote:

Thanks for playing. Isn't this more fun than talking about magical slowing rockgardens.

It sure is.

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006124
Mobile Version of Website