Trek Slash 2021 ?

PB Forum :: Trek
Trek Slash 2021 ?
Posted: Sep 25, 2021 at 20:35 Quote
bermchaser wrote:
Does any one notice this bike having trouble gathering speed over rocky tracks? (lots of smaller rocks especially) I clearly notice it on a mellower incline. I’m loosing lots of time compared to friends. Despite the same line choices.

What speeds are we talking?

I feel as it actually eats them rocks like a motherfk, and does not slow down much at all.

Try having your suspesion with more pressure maybe

Posted: Sep 25, 2021 at 20:40 Quote
felix571 wrote:
As Im already riding the second set of GX cranks on my Slash 8 and the clicking sound from the connection between left crank arm and axle just stared again Im wondering if anybody experience the same with their GX cranks?
Maybe anybody already switched to different cranks and can tell me which of them will fit?

BB and pedals were checked and are not the cause for the clicking!

Thanks guys!

Why so many people gets problems with sounds and shit. Always on those aluminum bikes right? Interesting

Maybe steer away from AL or is this cheap parts or bearings?

Posted: Sep 25, 2021 at 20:51 Quote
mtbtrekracer wrote:
possibly one of the worst(and maybe best?) ive had 3 slash 8's, 2 of the initial stock and both made a heap of noise, grease everything, still made it, not sure if related but spacer in the main lower pivot between the two bearings in frame was loose and rattled aswell, headset gap that even grease cant fix as it just collects dirt. - trek refused any warranty on first one. - sold it
second one made creaking noises after the trek shop couldnt find anything wrong with it(full greased etc), i happend to borrow a friends carbon rear end, the noise vanished???? - sold this 8.

waited awhile an got anther in the next batch, that one cracked down the bottom of downtube by the weld as seen on here.
By this time i was pissed and gave the shop a serve up - this bike was replaced under warranty with a 9.8xt if i paid $500.
i said OK, the carbon bike was sweet as- no noise or anything, rode it for a bit but ended up selling it to fund Travel to DH rounds in Europe,

the bike rides really good but damn the QC issues hurt my love affair with trek - for which we even jumped brands on our DH bikes to commencal and changed out enduros to the range which i regret, so now preorderd some new GT's

Thank god my project one never made a single sound. Thanks and praises.

Hope you fix those issues

Posted: Sep 25, 2021 at 21:00 Quote
[Quote="nouseforaname"]
FastRiding wrote:
nouseforaname wrote:

6/10

Edit: Marking you down for mismatching brand tires.

If you aint a pro... i dont see why tha would be bad.

Well, if you're going to claim something is the 'ultimate' you probably shouldn't leave any stones unturned.

FYI things also suitable for being 'marked down' on if you're building something that you're going to call 'ultimate':

Mismatched wheels,
Cranks not matching drivetrain (don't care that they're RF/Eewings)
If you've got RF Bars, you need to have RF Cranks, stem
Tire logos not lined up with valve stem.[/Quote

]front carbon wheel and rear AL is acceptable?

Posted: Sep 25, 2021 at 21:19 Quote
FastRiding wrote:
front carbon wheel and rear AL is acceptable?
common in the race world, especially on DH bikes.

Posted: Sep 25, 2021 at 22:15 Quote
The question from the original post makes me think of a long-standing idea - while totally fanciful and impractical - would make online communication a bit easier, especially answering questions like this: if only there were a way to have some kind of self-reported yet somehow objective rating system so others could tell what kind of rider you were, from full-on n00b to top-paid pro. With respect to the original post, I, like you, fellow Slash owner, have so many questions. How’s your bike set up? How long have you been riding? How skilled are you? How adept are you at working on your own sh*t? How clapped out is your sh*t before you know to work on it? How challenging are your local trails? How fast are you on them compared to others? Have you ridden competitively before? How’d you do? What’d you learn? How often do you ride, and how often do you ride with people better than you?

For instance, the OP could be riding with totally blown suspension and 50psi in each tire. Maybe dialed suspension and 10psi F/R. Or reasonable tire pressure but the bike’s two sizes too small. Or the brake pads are dragging because the calipers are misaligned. Or the rider is riding the brakes through the rock garden. Or the other riders are way f**king more skilled. Are your bike ergonomics set up to go fast, or are your brake levels perpendicular to the ground? Is your dropper slammed on descents or is it sky-high with the saddle nose stabbing your grundle? Do you ride in tennis shoes? Who knows? But objectively, the Slash, like pretty much any other contemporary bike in its price range is a damn capable bike, and if set up right, should handle literally anything you throw at it.

So original poster, give us more details. Don’t indict the bike.

FastRiding wrote:
bermchaser wrote:
Does any one notice this bike having trouble gathering speed over rocky tracks? (lots of smaller rocks especially) I clearly notice it on a mellower incline. I’m loosing lots of time compared to friends. Despite the same line choices.

I feel as it actually eats them rocks like a motherfk, and does not slow down much at all.

Posted: Sep 26, 2021 at 9:55 Quote
sngltrkmnd wrote:
The question from the original post makes me think of a long-standing idea - while totally fanciful and impractical - would make online communication a bit easier, especially answering questions like this: if only there were a way to have some kind of self-reported yet somehow objective rating system so others could tell what kind of rider you were, from full-on n00b to top-paid pro. With respect to the original post, I, like you, fellow Slash owner, have so many questions. How’s your bike set up? How long have you been riding? How skilled are you? How adept are you at working on your own sh*t? How clapped out is your sh*t before you know to work on it? How challenging are your local trails? How fast are you on them compared to others? Have you ridden competitively before? How’d you do? What’d you learn? How often do you ride, and how often do you ride with people better than you?

For instance, the OP could be riding with totally blown suspension and 50psi in each tire. Maybe dialed suspension and 10psi F/R. Or reasonable tire pressure but the bike’s two sizes too small. Or the brake pads are dragging because the calipers are misaligned. Or the rider is riding the brakes through the rock garden. Or the other riders are way f**king more skilled. Are your bike ergonomics set up to go fast, or are your brake levels perpendicular to the ground? Is your dropper slammed on descents or is it sky-high with the saddle nose stabbing your grundle? Do you ride in tennis shoes? Who knows? But objectively, the Slash, like pretty much any other contemporary bike in its price range is a damn capable bike, and if set up right, should handle literally anything you throw at it.

So original poster, give us more details. Don’t indict the bike.

FastRiding wrote:
bermchaser wrote:

While I don’t disagree I think you’re over complicating; which is why I asked how his tires and suspension are setup. He’s almost certainly riding his suspension too stiff and doesn’t understand that you don’t just add pressure to prevent bottom out. That’s why tokens exist to ramp the leverage curve. As another person commented, you don’t sacrifice sag and midstroke to prevent bottom. If he doesn’t add tokens and jacks up pressure by 20%, it is guaranteed to ride harsh in rock gardens. You’ll get pinged around. That’s a trade off he can make if he wants, but personally I would not, and argue that’s not how you ideally setup suspension.

IMO he should get a shockwiz.

Posted: Sep 28, 2021 at 2:41 Quote
Does anyone know the font size for the Trek slash 8 logo on downtube and on the upper tube?(slash 8 lettering)

I am expecting my bike in a couple of weeks and want to order custom stickers but they don’t have the font size. I can’t measure because don’t have the bike yet.

Will be a size Large.

Thanks!!

Posted: Sep 28, 2021 at 6:49 Quote
partimo wrote:
Does anyone know the font size for the Trek slash 8 logo on downtube and on the upper tube?(slash 8 lettering)

I am expecting my bike in a couple of weeks and want to order custom stickers but they don’t have the font size. I can’t measure because don’t have the bike yet.

Will be a size Large.

Thanks!!

Do you have the Font?

Posted: Sep 28, 2021 at 9:29 Quote
partimo wrote:

Will be a size Large.

Thanks!!

Just order them from Invisiframe at the link below. Price is reasonable-ish, and the cut is bang on. I did my 2021 Slash 8 Large with these decals and they fit perfect. They are ever so slightly bigger than the stock logo, so you have a mm or so to play with either way and make sure the original logo is fully covered.

https://www.invisiframe.co.uk/trek-slash-downtube-2021.html

For the "Slash 8" lettering on the top tube, not sure about that. I just put some black electrical tape over mine and then dropped the Dyedbro frame wrap over top so you hardly notice it. Bit ghetto, but you can hardly tell. See second pic.

2021 Trek Slash 8. Dyedbro Aotearoa wrap Invisiframe decals

Posted: Sep 28, 2021 at 10:15 Quote
chrismac wrote:
partimo wrote:

Will be a size Large.

Thanks!!

Do you have the Font?

They have the font for modern Trek logo but no acces to the sizing chart for letters. Might consider the invisiframe kit but shipping to Netherlands might be a bit crap due to Brexit.

Posted: Sep 28, 2021 at 10:16 Quote
samty wrote:
partimo wrote:

Will be a size Large.

Thanks!!

Just order them from Invisiframe at the link below. Price is reasonable-ish, and the cut is bang on. I did my 2021 Slash 8 Large with these decals and they fit perfect. They are ever so slightly bigger than the stock logo, so you have a mm or so to play with either way and make sure the original logo is fully covered.

https://www.invisiframe.co.uk/trek-slash-downtube-2021.html

For the "Slash 8" lettering on the top tube, not sure about that. I just put some black electrical tape over mine and then dropped the Dyedbro frame wrap over top so you hardly notice it. Bit ghetto, but you can hardly tell. See second pic.

Electrical tape is a great idea!

Will look into shipping from UK to Europe, local cost would be around 35 euros so will see what invisiframe has to offer

Posted: Sep 28, 2021 at 10:57 Quote
Your time has 'some' value, you're going to waste more than 35E of value dicking around to get something half as good as the invisiframe option, and in 6 months, you're barely going to remember what the cost differential was.

Posted: Sep 28, 2021 at 12:25 Quote
Hah true, I have experience with the generic kit of invisiframe. Which is still good on most spots after 2 years.

Think I will order the protection kit and decals with them. It is pricy in my opinion. 145 euro including shipping but then again it should also keep the bikes value up.

Posted: Sep 28, 2021 at 16:40 Quote
Anyone have any experience with changing the air spring out of the Lyrik from the C1, 2, or 3 to a B1? Or to a or solo air with Luftkappe? I have the C3 spring in mine, but i miss the small bump compliance, traction, and confidence I got on my old 2018 Lyrik SoloAir with Luftkappe. Wondering if just the B1 spring would be an improvement over the newer C's, or if Luftkappe on the older shaft is still the way to go.

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007894
Mobile Version of Website