Trek Slash 2021 ?

PB Forum :: Trek
Trek Slash 2021 ?
Posted: Oct 15, 2021 at 14:18 Quote
mtbtrekracer wrote:
same experience with my ZEB, Went back to a lyrik, infact someone swapped me my zeb select + for their lyrik Ultimate.

i've seen many people "upgrade" to a zeb/38 then they end on FB groups asking for advice

I really want to try the Lyrik with B1 damper. I was not a big fan of the Zeb select+ either - but my biggest issue is I didn't feel like it offered great traction, otherwise I enjoyed it. I'm guessing the change w/ with positive/negative chamber always being equalized may have something to do with it but not sure.

The 38 is in an entirely different ballpark though, best performance SC fork you can buy - only downside is weight.

Posted: Oct 15, 2021 at 15:29 Quote
Your to light for a zeb..200 lbs here..2 tokens 100 psi..thing slays ..I would recommend taking tokens out and using higher spring rates

Posted: Oct 16, 2021 at 6:34 Quote
Hi guys I recently got my slash 8, today infact, and was wondering is there anything that you guys have changed or added to it shortly after buying it?What I mean is like the tyres or the seats to hard or the brake pads don’t have much bite and stuff like that.

Thanks

Posted: Oct 16, 2021 at 9:20 Quote
8tom8 wrote:
Hi guys I recently got my slash 8, today infact, and was wondering is there anything that you guys have changed or added to it shortly after buying it?What I mean is like the tyres or the seats to hard or the brake pads don’t have much bite and stuff like that.

Thanks

The stock tyres are garbage, although I think you'll struggle to find any to replace them at the moment, decent tyres are like gold dust Razz

I swapped the brakes out for some Hope E4 instantly as I find SRAM brakes unusable. I also swapped the bar, stem, and grips to my preference which is something I do on any new bike.

The Bontrager wheelset and dropper are surprisingly good, the wheels in particular have impressed me, and have already lasted me longer than previous wheelsets which cost double the price.

The Thru-shaft shock is mint as well, I'm a long time coil shock aficionado but this is the first air shock I've ridden that actually provides performance comparable to that of a coil

Posted: Oct 16, 2021 at 9:24 Quote
8tom8 wrote:

Thanks

Take it appart and grease all pivots, headset, etc. It's also a good time to add thread locker to all these bolts.

Posted: Oct 16, 2021 at 9:24 Quote
8tom8 wrote:

Thanks

slash 9.8 rider here, but i would go for MM/big betty or assegai /dhr combo, DD/SG for fast/rocky or ST/Exo+ for normal trail riding.

i would also change the brakes to some slx or xt 4 piston, but thats personal preference

Posted: Oct 16, 2021 at 9:27 Quote
pqbb wrote:
Is anyone else finding that the ZEB Select+ is not super great? (to stay polite)

I previously had a Lyrik RC2, which felt considerably better than my ZEB Select+ even after a full season of testing different adjustments. I ride mostly DH/Park.

My main issues with the ZEB are:
1 - Doesn't soak up any of the chatter. It just transmits it to my bars and hands.
2 - Repetitive big impacts quickly feel progressively worse / not well absorbed

I tried everything I could think of; less pressure, more pressure, LSC fully open, 50 hours service every other week.

At this point I'm riding it with these settings:
-160 lbs kitted
-54PSI (2 more than recommended)
-4 tokens (3 more than stock, otherwise it keeps bottoming out on not so big impacts)
-LSC 1 click from fully open
-Rebound 12 clocks from closed (2 more than recommended)

It's the best setup I found so far.
I've ordered a Push industries HC97, hoping it'll improve both #1 and #2.
If not, chances are strong I'll ditch the ZEB.

im about 5kg more then you. riding 60 psi, 2 tokens, rebound 10 from closed, lsr 5-10 from open. pretty happy with my fork, cant feel that much difference to my old yari with charger 2.1 cartridge

Posted: Oct 16, 2021 at 13:43 Quote
its-joe wrote:
8tom8 wrote:

Thanks

The stock tyres are garbage, although I think you'll struggle to find any to replace them at the moment, decent tyres are like gold dust Razz

I swapped the brakes out for some Hope E4 instantly as I find SRAM brakes unusable. I also swapped the bar, stem, and grips to my preference which is something I do on any new bike.

The Bontrager wheelset and dropper are surprisingly good, the wheels in particular have impressed me, and have already lasted me longer than previous wheelsets which cost double the price.

The Thru-shaft shock is mint as well, I'm a long time coil shock aficionado but this is the first air shock I've ridden that actually provides performance comparable to that of a coil
ok thanks very much I will probably swap on a assegai and dhr2 then. I was thinking of swapping the wheels for some dt Swiss but the stock ones sound pretty good and I’m actually a big fan of sram brakes so I won’t change them but I guess that’s preference.

Posted: Oct 16, 2021 at 13:44 Quote
pqbb wrote:
8tom8 wrote:

Thanks

Take it appart and grease all pivots, headset, etc. It's also a good time to add thread locker to all these bolts.
ah ok did yours not come with adequate grease on or is that just to be sure it’s all assembled properly?

Posted: Oct 16, 2021 at 13:44 Quote
pAzk wrote:
8tom8 wrote:

Thanks

slash 9.8 rider here, but i would go for MM/big betty or assegai /dhr combo, DD/SG for fast/rocky or ST/Exo+ for normal trail riding.

i would also change the brakes to some slx or xt 4 piston, but thats personal preference
Thanks it sounds like the stock tyres are abit naff then

Posted: Oct 16, 2021 at 13:56 Quote
8tom8 wrote:
pqbb wrote:
8tom8 wrote:

Thanks

ah ok did yours not come with adequate grease on or is that just to be sure it’s all assembled properly?

It depends on the person who built it / on the bike shop.
Mine had a bit of grease in the headset, nothing else. I took it completely appart and properly greased everything, smooth quiet bike for the whole season!

Posted: Oct 16, 2021 at 14:59 Quote
pqbb wrote:
8tom8 wrote:
pqbb wrote:

It depends on the person who built it / on the bike shop.
Mine had a bit of grease in the headset, nothing else. I took it completely appart and properly greased everything, smooth quiet bike for the whole season!
ok cool I’ll do that then soonish thanks very much

Posted: Oct 18, 2021 at 6:40 Quote
8tom8 wrote:

Thanks

Add the 3 pawls/springs to convert the hub to 108pt engagement. $20 very well spent and takes a few minutes.

Assegai/DHR are way better than the stock tires.

I am actually a fan of the codes even though they get a lot of hate but I swapped out the levers for RSC levers. The lever pivot bearing is a huge upgrade over the code r levers and the pad contact adjustment is nice too. Throw in some metallic pads, 200mm rear rotor for good measure. I really like the brakes with this set-up.

Posted: Oct 18, 2021 at 19:18 Quote
pAzk wrote:
pqbb wrote:
Is anyone else finding that the ZEB Select+ is not super great? (to stay polite)

I previously had a Lyrik RC2, which felt considerably better than my ZEB Select+ even after a full season of testing different adjustments. I ride mostly DH/Park.

My main issues with the ZEB are:
1 - Doesn't soak up any of the chatter. It just transmits it to my bars and hands.
2 - Repetitive big impacts quickly feel progressively worse / not well absorbed

I tried everything I could think of; less pressure, more pressure, LSC fully open, 50 hours service every other week.

At this point I'm riding it with these settings:
-160 lbs kitted
-54PSI (2 more than recommended)
-4 tokens (3 more than stock, otherwise it keeps bottoming out on not so big impacts)
-LSC 1 click from fully open
-Rebound 12 clocks from closed (2 more than recommended)

It's the best setup I found so far.
I've ordered a Push industries HC97, hoping it'll improve both #1 and #2.
If not, chances are strong I'll ditch the ZEB.

im about 5kg more then you. riding 60 psi, 2 tokens, rebound 10 from closed, lsr 5-10 from open. pretty happy with my fork, cant feel that much difference to my old yari with charger 2.1 cartridge

I'm 205 lbs with gear and felt like the ZEB was just okay. I just installed a Push HC97 and feel like it was a huge upgrade. I still need to finish getting it dialed in but the adjustments that are made are instantly noticeable. I got you enjoy the HC97! I'll update what settings I send up with once I get another ride or two in.

Cheers!

Posted: Oct 20, 2021 at 8:25 Quote
Well, unfortunately I'm without my bike temporarily. After asking my shop to take a look at the rear shock, they confirmed it's blown and they shipped it to RockShox for a rebuild. I'm not sure when it happened exactly, it wasn't a big drop or jump that did it all at once, it just started to feel squishy and making a sucking sound in the middle of a ride. For those who have had theirs rebuilt (I'm hearing this is pretty common) has it lasted after being fixed? I really like the feel of the shock but I'm disappointed it barely lasted 3 months before blowing up.

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007449
Mobile Version of Website