Trek Slash 2021 ?

PB Forum :: Trek
Trek Slash 2021 ?
Posted: Oct 20, 2021 at 12:13 Quote
Update on the more current Slash 8. I just picked one up and it looks like they fixed the headset dust cover gap issue that was on the earlier 2021 bikes.

O+
Posted: Oct 20, 2021 at 15:44 Quote
SoftBodiedAphid wrote:
Update on the more current Slash 8. I just picked one up and it looks like they fixed the headset dust cover gap issue that was on the earlier 2021 bikes.

Agree - i got mine in July and no headset gap. Still no grease in the pivots though!

Posted: Oct 21, 2021 at 1:16 Quote
After all this talk of Zeb set up I decided to drop my lowers as I'll close to 50 hours anyway.

Found that the hole in the air piston was not aligned to the hole in the shaft so I had reduced negative air chamber. Madder

Posted: Oct 21, 2021 at 9:09 Quote
SirWilhelm wrote:
pAzk wrote:
pqbb wrote:
Is anyone else finding that the ZEB Select+ is not super great? (to stay polite)

I previously had a Lyrik RC2, which felt considerably better than my ZEB Select+ even after a full season of testing different adjustments. I ride mostly DH/Park.

My main issues with the ZEB are:
1 - Doesn't soak up any of the chatter. It just transmits it to my bars and hands.
2 - Repetitive big impacts quickly feel progressively worse / not well absorbed

I tried everything I could think of; less pressure, more pressure, LSC fully open, 50 hours service every other week.

At this point I'm riding it with these settings:
-160 lbs kitted
-54PSI (2 more than recommended)
-4 tokens (3 more than stock, otherwise it keeps bottoming out on not so big impacts)
-LSC 1 click from fully open
-Rebound 12 clocks from closed (2 more than recommended)

It's the best setup I found so far.
I've ordered a Push industries HC97, hoping it'll improve both #1 and #2.
If not, chances are strong I'll ditch the ZEB.

im about 5kg more then you. riding 60 psi, 2 tokens, rebound 10 from closed, lsr 5-10 from open. pretty happy with my fork, cant feel that much difference to my old yari with charger 2.1 cartridge

I'm 205 lbs with gear and felt like the ZEB was just okay. I just installed a Push HC97 and feel like it was a huge upgrade. I still need to finish getting it dialed in but the adjustments that are made are instantly noticeable. I got you enjoy the HC97! I'll update what settings I send up with once I get another ride or two in.

Cheers!

Looking forward to your feedback! I just received and installed mine this week. Happy the install was pretty easy (even though it took my 1.5-2 hours to complete, took my time to make sure everything was perfectly clean and properly torqued.)
I have it setup with the Push recommendations for my weight range. I'm quite excited!! Can't wait to feel the difference on the trails.
I'll be testing it out this weekend and will report back.

Posted: Oct 21, 2021 at 9:11 Quote
bakewell wrote:
After all this talk of Zeb set up I decided to drop my lowers as I'll close to 50 hours anyway.

Found that the hole in the air piston was not aligned to the hole in the shaft so I had reduced negative air chamber. Madder

Interesting, I'll look into that during my next 50 hours service.
I've actually alread done 3 of them this season, but never looked into that.
Any pointers? I understand you're talking about the indentation that allows pressure to be equalized in both air chambers?

Posted: Oct 21, 2021 at 9:38 Quote
pqbb wrote:
bakewell wrote:

Interesting, I'll look into that during my next 50 hours service.
Any pointers? I understand you're talking about the indentation that allows pressure to be equalized in both air chambers?

No on the airshaft the air piston the red bit that moves up and down insid. The bit at the top of the airshaft if removed. It has a hole in and it should align with a hole in the shaft. This allows the negative chamber uses of the volume inside the shaft.

Posted: Oct 21, 2021 at 10:48 Quote
bakewell wrote:
pqbb wrote:
bakewell wrote:

Interesting, I'll look into that during my next 200 hours service.

No on the airshaft the air piston the red bit that moves up and down insid. The bit at the top of the airshaft if removed. It has a hole in and it should align with a hole in the shaft. This allows the negative chamber uses of the volume inside the shaft.

Good to know, thanks for clarifying! I'll look into it as I do the 200 hours service on the left leg. Already did the 200 hour service on the right leg as I was installing the HC97 Big Grin

Posted: Oct 25, 2021 at 22:54 Quote
Hey guys!

Anyone of you fitted MT5s or MT7s to the Centerline rotors using the normal SRAM 20mm Adapter (to get up to 200mm)?
I just bought a new rotor but after a lot of problems with my Code I want to switch to Magura.. without buying new rotors again. At the moment I am riding 200mm front and rear (both Centerline with +20mm Adapter)

Thanks!

O+
Posted: Oct 26, 2021 at 17:44 Quote
felix571 wrote:
Hey guys!

Anyone of you fitted MT5s or MT7s to the Centerline rotors using the normal SRAM 20mm Adapter (to get up to 200mm)?
I just bought a new rotor but after a lot of problems with my Code I want to switch to Magura.. without buying new rotors again. At the moment I am riding 200mm front and rear (both Centerline with +20mm Adapter)

Thanks!

Hey Felix,
I ended up putting a 203 in the rear of my 9.8 XT because I was upgrading to ICE rotors from shimano but have not changed the brakes from shimano add they are doing a great job so far. I've always wandered about the Magura brakes but haven't tried them yet. Good luck if you upgrade/ swap out.
Cheers!

O+
Posted: Oct 26, 2021 at 18:04 Quote
pqbb wrote:
SirWilhelm wrote:
pAzk wrote:

im about 5kg more then you. riding 60 psi, 2 tokens, rebound 10 from closed, lsr 5-10 from open. pretty happy with my fork, cant feel that much difference to my old yari with charger 2.1 cartridge

I'm 205 lbs with gear and felt like the ZEB was just okay. I just installed a Push HC97 and feel like it was a huge upgrade. I still need to finish getting it dialed in but the adjustments that are made are instantly noticeable. I got you enjoy the HC97! I'll update what settings I send up with once I get another ride or two in.

Cheers!

Looking forward to your feedback! I just received and installed mine this week. Happy the install was pretty easy (even though it took my 1.5-2 hours to complete, took my time to make sure everything was perfectly clean and properly torqued.)
I have it setup with the Push recommendations for my weight range. I'm quite excited!! Can't wait to feel the difference on the trails.

So I have put the fork through a few rides and have really enjoyed the increased traction, the plush but firm feel and the confidence it instills. I just rode some rocky, leafy trails and then got rained on and was still cruising down a black trail hitting jumps and drops because I knew my fork was going to track and support me. I've been way more confident of jumps as well. Before I was either bottoming out or had to stiffen it up to much.

Now if only I could get my rear shock to feel this good I'd be 100% with this bike.

My settings are the following;
52psi with 3 tokens
Low Speed Compression 17 out
High speed compression 18 out
Rebound 11 out
. This is a good setup for me and really close to the recommended start setup by push. I do plan to tweak it until I figure out what is best for each style like...

all around (normal for me all mountain with a decent amount of rock)
XC easy trail
Smooth jump
Chunky DH

with this dampener I think I'll be able do optimize each trail type if I want but still have a blast without touching it.

Hope you are enjoying the HC97!

O+
Posted: Oct 27, 2021 at 6:28 Quote
felix571 wrote:
Hey guys!

Thanks!

I have no personal experience with Magura so take this with a grain of salt, but everything I ever read about them says that they perform great but they're an absolute nightmare to bleed and maintain.

It is appealing that they use mineral oil rather than DOT fluid like SRAM though. Always a plus in my book.

O+
Posted: Oct 27, 2021 at 7:49 Quote
WY228 wrote:
felix571 wrote:
Hey guys!

Thanks!

I have no personal experience with Magura so take this with a grain of salt, but everything I ever read about them says that they perform great but they're an absolute nightmare to bleed and maintain.

It is appealing that they use mineral oil rather than DOT fluid like SRAM though. Always a plus in my book.

Quite a few riders I know of have appreciated the power, but not the fragility of the MC.

Posted: Oct 27, 2021 at 9:53 Quote
SirWilhelm wrote:
pqbb wrote:
SirWilhelm wrote:

Cheers!

So I have put the fork through a few rides and have really enjoyed the increased traction, the plush but firm feel and the confidence it instills. I just rode some rocky, leafy trails and then got rained on and was still cruising down a black trail hitting jumps and drops because I knew my fork was going to track and support me. I've been way more confident of jumps as well. Before I was either bottoming out or had to stiffen it up to much.

Now if only I could get my rear shock to feel this good I'd be 100% with this bike.

My settings are the following;
52psi with 3 tokens
Low Speed Compression 17 out
High speed compression 18 out
Rebound 11 out
. This is a good setup for me and really close to the recommended start setup by push. I do plan to tweak it until I figure out what is best for each style like...

all around (normal for me all mountain with a decent amount of rock)
XC easy trail
Smooth jump
Chunky DH

with this dampener I think I'll be able do optimize each trail type if I want but still have a blast without touching it.

Hope you are enjoying the HC97!

I've had a very similar experience over the weekend! Very happy with my purchase, big hits and repeated big hits are noticeably smoother and with increased traction as you mentioned. I still have to play around the settings, especially on the LSC side.

My current settings are: (~160lbs with gear)
54 psi, 3 tokens
Low Speed Compression 22 out
High Speed Compression 18 out
Rebound 12 out

These are all +1 more open than Push recommended and feel very good for chunky DH and big jumps.
I want to play with pressure and LSC and see if I can sit higher in travel. Planning to try closing LSC a bit, but worried with small bump and chatter compliance. Therefore I will also try a bit more pressure and more open LSC.

You mentioned the rear shock not being as satisfactory, in my experience it's been doing quite well.
For what it's worth here are my settings:
190 PSI
2 tokens
Rebound 5 out (wish there was a 5.5, but 5 is good enough and definitely better than 6)
Mainly riding with the compression setting on - or 0

Posted: Oct 27, 2021 at 10:05 Quote
felix571 wrote:
Hey guys!

Thanks!

I wouldn't recommend magura mainly based on part availability (especially these days). SRAM parts can be found anywhere a lot easier.

What issues are you having with the Codes?
I upgraded mines to Code RSCs before even riding the bike as I had a set of Code RSC rainbow edition on hand Big Grin .
They've been perfect/flawless for the whole season.

Posted: Oct 27, 2021 at 16:18 Quote
Gotta get TRP brakes. They're phenomenal.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011018
Mobile Version of Website