close
Pinkbike is now part of Outside! As of December 3, 2021, please refer to the Outside Terms of Use and Privacy Policy which govern your use of the Pinkbike website and services.

Trek Slash 2021 ?

PB Forum :: Trek
Trek Slash 2021 ?
Posted: Dec 6, 2021 at 23:39 Quote
would 100% ride a RS shock over a Fox x2. Keep blowing the X2 up.
Every x2 ive owned ive had to load them up with spacers to get them from feeling like a low weight coil spring...

On the up side, the Dpx2 i have is going well for now, typical fox though, its nearly maxed out in spacer size.

Posted: Dec 7, 2021 at 5:43 Quote
blackercanyons wrote:
suggestions for what coil to put on a 22 9.8 slash? I'm 5'11/195, ride in the rockies and the southern utah desert mostly. My thru-shaft super deluxe blah blah started spitting oil everywhere about 5 rides in. I also hate how the climbing lockout feels.

Unlike some people in this thread, I am a trek certified Mechanic who has experience putting both aftermarket air and coil shocks on many generations of the slash. While I dont ride a slash right now (Thanks insane lead times for EP) my co workers and team mates do and they have had me help tune the suspension to them.

The shock you will need is a 230x62.5 or 65mm. There are offerings from Fox/marzzochi, Rockshox, and DVO I believe.
The new DHX is pretty good from what I have heard with some of the bugs worked out from previous gen shocks. Riding in the rockies with big altitude changes a coil is a great option for the slash!

While rockshox does not currently have a trunion mount shock that fits, their standard eyelet shock in the same dimensions will work. To use a standard eyelet shock in your 9.8, you will need the spacer and bolt mounting kit from a 9.7 bike. (the 9.7 and the standard 7 come with a fox float X with a standard eyelet). The part numbers you will need are as follows...
(1)Upper shock axle (long bolt) #599898
(1) Lower shock axle (Long bolt) #5258210
I could not find the spacers needed, however your LBS should be able to measure an existing bike to get you the right lengths. I believe the lower might not be symmetrical.

With today's shocks having such a wide range of damping settings, you really dont have to worry about factory specific tunes from fox. Rockshox still does have tunes but the M/M is the most common for 4 bar and ABP style bikes. If you feel like you have to run your damping settings too far to either side, you can always have the shock re-valved to a different tune.

Enjoy the slash!
-Matt

Posted: Dec 7, 2021 at 7:15 Quote
brevard-bikewrench wrote:
blackercanyons wrote:
suggestions for what coil to put on a 22 9.8 slash? I'm 5'11/195, ride in the rockies and the southern utah desert mostly. My thru-shaft super deluxe blah blah started spitting oil everywhere about 5 rides in. I also hate how the climbing lockout feels.

Unlike some people in this thread, I am a trek certified Mechanic who has experience putting both aftermarket air and coil shocks on many generations of the slash. While I dont ride a slash right now (Thanks insane lead times for EP) my co workers and team mates do and they have had me help tune the suspension to them.

The shock you will need is a 230x62.5 or 65mm. There are offerings from Fox/marzzochi, Rockshox, and DVO I believe.
The new DHX is pretty good from what I have heard with some of the bugs worked out from previous gen shocks. Riding in the rockies with big altitude changes a coil is a great option for the slash!

While rockshox does not currently have a trunion mount shock that fits, their standard eyelet shock in the same dimensions will work. To use a standard eyelet shock in your 9.8, you will need the spacer and bolt mounting kit from a 9.7 bike. (the 9.7 and the standard 7 come with a fox float X with a standard eyelet). The part numbers you will need are as follows...
(1)Upper shock axle (long bolt) #599898
(1) Lower shock axle (Long bolt) #5258210
I could not find the spacers needed, however your LBS should be able to measure an existing bike to get you the right lengths. I believe the lower might not be symmetrical.

With today's shocks having such a wide range of damping settings, you really dont have to worry about factory specific tunes from fox. Rockshox still does have tunes but the M/M is the most common for 4 bar and ABP style bikes. If you feel like you have to run your damping settings too far to either side, you can always have the shock re-valved to a different tune.

Enjoy the slash!
-Matt

Thanks. EXT has one too. I did find all the hardware for running an eyelet mount. What does running a 65 change the travel to?

Posted: Dec 7, 2021 at 7:27 Quote
Thanks. EXT has one too. I did find all the hardware for running an eyelet mount. What does running a 65 change the travel to?[/Quote]

You will get about 166mm travel. Awesome! Did you end up going with the EXT?

Posted: Dec 7, 2021 at 8:08 Quote
Thanks. EXT has one too. I did find all the hardware for running an eyelet mount. What does running a 65 change the travel to?

You will get about 166mm travel. Awesome! Did you end up going with the EXT?[/Quote]does the extra 6mm increase the suspension dynamics?

Posted: Dec 7, 2021 at 9:50 Quote
does the extra 6mm increase the suspension dynamics?[/Quote]

What are you referring to when you say dynamics?
Since the average leverage ratio is relatively low ~2.56, the characteristics of the suspension curve should stay about the same.

Posted: Dec 7, 2021 at 9:58 Quote
does the extra 6mm increase the suspension dynamics?

What are you referring to when you say dynamics?
Since the average leverage ratio is relatively low ~2.56, the characteristics of the suspension curve should stay about the same.[/Quote]you answered my question. Thanks.

Posted: Dec 7, 2021 at 14:09 Quote

You will get about 166mm travel. Awesome! Did you end up going with the EXT?

I haven't yet. been trying to get ahold of the EXT rep here to make that happen though.

Posted: Dec 7, 2021 at 20:48 Quote
wondering what people are riding in terms of sizes for their slash. I am looking at a few bikes and the slash is one im particularly interested in but have no idea what size to get. I am 6'3 (192cm exactly) and have always rode XLs, but the XL slash is massive, same reach as a xxl transition sentinel, and bigger than the xxl megatower and s6 stumpy evo. im currently on a 2020 rocky mountain slayer and have been riding it in the slack setting which gives it a 492 reach, almost identical to a large slash in the high setting. Getting a large just seems odd to me being a tall guy, but my slayer felt huge and worried an XL slash would feel like a boat

Posted: Dec 7, 2021 at 20:59 Quote
cyeast99 wrote:
wondering what people are riding in terms of sizes for their slash. I am looking at a few bikes and the slash is one im particularly interested in but have no idea what size to get. I am 6'3 (192cm exactly) and have always rode XLs, but the XL slash is massive, same reach as a xxl transition sentinel, and bigger than the xxl megatower and s6 stumpy evo. im currently on a 2020 rocky mountain slayer and have been riding it in the slack setting which gives it a 492 reach, almost identical to a large slash in the high setting. Getting a large just seems odd to me being a tall guy, but my slayer felt huge and worried an XL slash would feel like a boat
you have to try it! i've been riding M's all my life but got a 2022 M/L slash 8. It doesn't feel much longer but it is on paper. the M/L in low is 470 reach. my last bike was 445 and it feels less comfortable now. The wheelbase is longer but very neutral and easy to get along with imo. Try an XL and L. you'll know right away as soon as you ride them.

Posted: Dec 7, 2021 at 23:59 Quote
makripper wrote:
cyeast99 wrote:
you have to try it! i've been riding M's all my life but got a 2022 M/L slash 8. It doesn't feel much longer but it is on paper. the M/L in low is 470 reach. my last bike was 445 and it feels less comfortable now. The wheelbase is longer but very neutral and easy to get along with imo. Try an XL and L. you'll know right away as soon as you ride them.

Same situation here, went for the larger size (M/L with 5'7), pretty happy with the bike. An issue you may have is the relatively slack STA with long dropper can cause that in seated position you will be sitting "too far back". (Personally never had this problem as I'm short, but reading here and there taller people reported this.)
You also have to take into account that the bike comes with a short stem, and a 9° backsweep bar.

Posted: Dec 8, 2021 at 5:23 Quote
cyeast99 wrote:

I'm 6'3" and have been riding the xl and have the seat pretty much as far back on the rails as I can. Worth noting that I have long arms, but coming from an XL Jeffsy to this, the fit definitely feels better to me. I definitely second the suggestion to sit on the bike but personally I couldn't see a large working for me. I use my slash for everything, and on the rare occasion it can feel long, but not limiting. Tight uphill switchbacks are really the only spot, but they are still 100% doable.

Posted: Dec 8, 2021 at 6:24 Quote
elsorichard wrote:
makripper wrote:
cyeast99 wrote:

Same situation here, went for the larger size (M/L with 5'7), pretty happy with the bike. An issue you may have is the relatively slack STA with long dropper can cause that in seated position you will be sitting "too far back". (Personally never had this problem as I'm short, but reading here and there taller people reported this.)
You also have to take into account that the bike comes with a short stem, and a 9° backsweep bar.

I'm 6'1" and originally thought a XL would be my size but was able to sit on both at the shop before purchasing and was blown away how big the XL was. I could have rode the XL (and if I was doing nothing but bike park laps I would have) but this bike is used for everything and I wanted the slightly smaller, more flickable bike. At 6'3" I'll be interested in what you choose. Good luck!

Posted: Dec 8, 2021 at 6:34 Quote
cyeast99 wrote:

I'm 5'10.5", so I'm kind of on the edge between a M and a L for most bikes. Most people would prob say I should be on a L. Most of my bikes have been L. I had a 2019 Pivot Firebird and got the large. I put the L Firebird and ML Slash into bikeinsights.com and they're almost exactly the same, except the Slash is slacker, slightly higher stack, slightly longer wheelbase, and slightly shorter reach (474 for the carbon version). So I went with the ML. I'm happy with it. It feels more playful than the firebird did despite the numbers being very, very similar. It's never felt too short descending. Oddly, it does sometimes feel a little short climbing. I'm using it as my main bike, so I'm happy with it in the size I got, as the more agile playful feel of the smaller bike feels better to me when using it as a trail bike. If I was racing enduro, i'd prob want the L.

Fun fact: Matt Walker and Ed Masters (pivot enduro pros) are both 6' and ride Mediums.

Posted: Dec 8, 2021 at 8:57 Quote
cyeast99 wrote:

I'm 5'11.5'' and have been riding a Slash in size large for the past year. I'm extremely happy with it. In mellower trails or very tight switch backs, I feel like I'd be nice to have a smaller more nervous bike. But overall, I'm happier with the advantages of the longer bike VS the very little areas where I would see the benefits of a shorter one (I ride mainly bike park).

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.007462
Mobile Version of Website