Trek Slash 2021 ?

PB Forum :: Trek
Trek Slash 2021 ?
O+
Posted: May 11, 2022 at 8:06 Quote
Franktrance wrote:
Hi all. Was wanting to know if any one has used a
One up components 180mm dropper post on their 2021/22 slash size large. And if it inserts all the way. Thanks.

I have a 210mm oneup dropper and yes it slams all the way down.

O+
Posted: May 11, 2022 at 8:11 Quote
[Quote="RohitSengupta"]
RohitSengupta wrote:
StumpyJR wrote:
Finally got my hands on a Ohlins ttx22 coil
photo

Looks good! What does the bike feel like on rough trails? I'm thinking of getting an RS Coil Shock and I am a bit worried on the bike being too linear.

I got a DHX2 for mine and it's been nice.
Although I will say it took some of the playfulness out of the bike compared to when it had the rockshox delux on it. Not as easy to pop it over stuff if you wanna throw it around. It now rather just wants to eat up everything you throw at it. Not a bad thing, just different. Should be good for the bike park this summer on some gnarlier tracks.

In hindsight, there is nothing wrong with the factory shock imo. It was great for like 98% of the stuff I ride and I would only bottom it out on the biggest of drops.

You could try one of those progressive springdex coils though and that might make it more progressive with a coil shock.

O+
Posted: May 11, 2022 at 10:22 Quote
Franktrance wrote:
One up components 180mm dropper post on their 2021/22 slash size large. And if it inserts all the way. Thanks.

On my 2021 Slash 8 Large I used a PNW Loam Dropper 200mm. Plenty of room. I recall the OneUp being pretty short in terms of insertion depth, similar to the PNW, so I'd say you'd be fine. I'm 183cm tall for reference. Not sure why you'd bother going from 170mm stock to 180mm though, why not go full 200?

Posted: May 11, 2022 at 13:31 Quote
Franktrance wrote:

my 210mm almost slams in the frame, i assume the 180mm would fit all the way

Posted: May 11, 2022 at 13:48 Quote
[Quote="betterbuckleup"]
RohitSengupta wrote:
RohitSengupta wrote:

Looks good! What does the bike feel like on rough trails? I'm thinking of getting an RS Coil Shock and I am a bit worried on the bike being too linear.

Although I will say it took some of the playfulness out of the bike compared to when it had the rockshox delux on it. Not as easy to pop it over stuff if you wanna throw it around. It now rather just wants to eat up everything you throw at it. Not a bad thing, just different. Should be good for the bike park this summer on some gnarlier tracks.

In hindsight, there is nothing wrong with the factory shock imo. It was great for like 98% of the stuff I ride and I would only bottom it out on the biggest of drops.

You could try one of those progressive springdex coils though and that might make it more progressive with a coil shock.

This isn’t too apparent for me with the new slash frame. With my 2019 and a coil it was pretty obvious that it made it less playful. The new one feels just like it did with the super deluxe , just better in terms of small bump and overall suppleness.

O+
Posted: May 11, 2022 at 21:39 Quote
samty wrote:
Franktrance wrote:

On my 2021 Slash 8 Large I used a PNW Loam Dropper 200mm. Plenty of room. I recall the OneUp being pretty short in terms of insertion depth, similar to the PNW, so I'd say you'd be fine. I'm 183cm tall for reference. Not sure why you'd bother going from 170mm stock to 180mm though, why not go full 200?

Mine came with a 150mm dropper So 180 should be a good fit. I'm only 176cm

Posted: May 12, 2022 at 12:47 Quote
Today, I bought a 2021 Trek Slash 7. I was looking for a sturdy, long-travel enduro bike that was still enough of an allrounder as it'll be my only bike for the forseeable future. Initially I was looking at a Canyon Torque or Propain Spindrift and didn't even have the Slash on my list, but instantly fell in love after trying one out at the dealer. The geometry in size L is just right for me and the bike had an instantly familiar handling quality to it. Not too excited about the extremely intese Radioactive Red paintjob, but it was just too good of a deal to pass. If the color annoys me much, I'll just strip the paint and have some clear coat applied to the raw alloy. I'm genuinely really excited now and can't wait to take her for a spin after they hopefully have it ready for pick-up tomorrow. I consciously chose the alloy frame, but originally wanted to buy the Slash 8 because of the great build kit. But again, couldn't pass up the deal on the 7.

Here's some questions that I hope you fellow Slash owners can help me with:

- Is the unusual 55mm chainline just a normal boost crank with a 0mm-offset on the chainring or do I need some proprietary crankset? I want to swap to 165mm cranks with a 32-tooth chainring.

- The standard stroke of the rear shock is 62.5 mm. Has anyone tried running a shock with 65mm stroke?

- How did the standard TransX dropper post work for you? Is it fairly reliable?

- How is the tire clearance with the standard 2.5" Bontrager XR5 in the rear? Enough to maybe run 2.6"?

- Anyone running a 180mm air shaft in their fork? How are you feeling about the changes it brought to the geometry?

Posted: May 12, 2022 at 14:40 Quote
Muscovir wrote:
If the color annoys me much, I'll just strip the paint and have some clear coat applied to the raw alloy.

Looking forward to seeing pictures if this happens!

Muscovir wrote:
How is the tire clearance with the standard 2.5" Bontrager XR5 in the rear? Enough to maybe run 2.6"?

I have a 2.6' Assegais both front and rear on my 2021 and they fit just fine.

Can't help with your other questions unfortunately!

Posted: May 13, 2022 at 7:19 Quote
JDunn709 wrote:
Muscovir wrote:
How is the tire clearance with the standard 2.5" Bontrager XR5 in the rear? Enough to maybe run 2.6"?

Can't help with your other questions unfortunately!

I ran 2.5 DHF for a while last year, got some tire rub on the non drive side of the chainstays (while wheel was very true (carbon) and spoke tension good). I've been running dissectors in 2.4 since then, liking it a lot!

O+
Posted: May 13, 2022 at 13:08 Quote
[Quote="StumpyJR"]
betterbuckleup wrote:
RohitSengupta wrote:

This isn’t too apparent for me with the new slash frame. With my 2019 and a coil it was pretty obvious that it made it less playful. The new one feels just like it did with the super deluxe , just better in terms of small bump and overall suppleness.

The fact that the coil shock adds almost a couple pounds of weight, that could also be affecting the feel for me. Given it's heavier now so inherently more difficult to throw around

Posted: May 14, 2022 at 4:18 Quote
pqbb wrote:
JDunn709 wrote:

I ran 2.5 DHF for a while last year, got some tire rub on the non drive side of the chainstays (while wheel was very true (carbon) and spoke tension good). I've been running dissectors in 2.4 since then, liking it a lot!

Weird, just checked my chainstays and I don't see any signs of rub. My frame is a 2021 alloy, maybe yours is carbon and the clearance could be slightly different?

Posted: May 14, 2022 at 11:16 Quote
JDunn709 wrote:
pqbb wrote:
JDunn709 wrote:

Weird, just checked my chainstays and I don't see any signs of rub. My frame is a 2021 alloy, maybe yours is carbon and the clearance could be slightly different?
I run 2.6 in the back and no rub either.

Posted: May 16, 2022 at 4:48 Quote
JDunn709 wrote:
pqbb wrote:
JDunn709 wrote:

Perhaps! My frame is indeed carbon.

Gladly the rub was only paint deep when I noticed it. I filled it with some epoxy during the winter maintenance to try and protect the frame for future rub. Looking untouched now, but I've been riding a 2.4 tire.

I actually really like the 2.4 in the rear with a assegai 2.5 in the front. It feels like I can better predict and have the rear tire lose traction while keeping it in the front. Not sure if it's the tire, tire size or the fact I am more used to the bike, but it's all good Big Grin .

Posted: May 16, 2022 at 13:35 Quote
pqbb wrote:
JDunn709 wrote:
pqbb wrote:

Perhaps! My frame is indeed carbon.

Gladly the rub was only paint deep when I noticed it. I filled it with some epoxy during the winter maintenance to try and protect the frame for future rub. Looking untouched now, but I've been riding a 2.4 tire.

I actually really like the 2.4 in the rear with a assegai 2.5 in the front. It feels like I can better predict and have the rear tire lose traction while keeping it in the front. Not sure if it's the tire, tire size or the fact I am more used to the bike, but it's all good Big Grin .

Tire manufacturers test tires differently, so it could be their sizing is off due to the rims. Different rim widths can affect the width of the tire itself. But also, tire tread patterns could also vary in width. Specifically, Bontrager 29x2.6" tires work perfectly on the 2021+ Slash for front and rear.

-Mitch

Posted: May 16, 2022 at 15:08 Quote
Has anyone experienced zeb damper knock?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.014091
Mobile Version of Website