Trek Slash 2021 ?

PB Forum :: Trek
Trek Slash 2021 ?
Author Message
Posted: May 17, 2022 at 7:18 Quote
trek wrote:
pqbb wrote:
JDunn709 wrote:



Weird, just checked my chainstays and I don't see any signs of rub. My frame is a 2021 alloy, maybe yours is carbon and the clearance could be slightly different?

Perhaps! My frame is indeed carbon.

Gladly the rub was only paint deep when I noticed it. I filled it with some epoxy during the winter maintenance to try and protect the frame for future rub. Looking untouched now, but I've been riding a 2.4 tire.

I actually really like the 2.4 in the rear with a assegai 2.5 in the front. It feels like I can better predict and have the rear tire lose traction while keeping it in the front. Not sure if it's the tire, tire size or the fact I am more used to the bike, but it's all good Big Grin .

Tire manufacturers test tires differently, so it could be their sizing is off due to the rims. Different rim widths can affect the width of the tire itself. But also, tire tread patterns could also vary in width. Specifically, Bontrager 29x2.6" tires work perfectly on the 2021+ Slash for front and rear.

-Mitch

Thanks for the info Mitch! I don't actually want to run wider tires, but it's not always easy to find the desired 2.4 tires on short notice so I am a bit disappointed that the most common maxxis 2.5 tires rub the chainstays on my 2021 slash carbon frame using the stock wheelset, but no big deal as I absolutely love the bike and have enough 2.4s in stock Big Grin .

I haven't had much luck with Bontrager tires. Their performance was interesting, but I need a heavier duty casing for where I ride and/or my riding style. I rather take the weight penalty with maxxis DH casing tires than swapping slashed tires all season long, not to mention the cost.

Posted: May 17, 2022 at 8:15 Quote
The new bonty se6 and se5 are the best..having run maxxis wtb Conti and schwalbe I'd say they nailed it finally..no squirm solid casings and insane grip from hardpack to loam and everything in between ..great all around tire combo

Posted: May 25, 2022 at 15:54 Quote
People who are 5.8ft and 30 inch inseam how are they sizing? ML or M ? If M/L how are they finding the bike? Got a 2020 fuel ex7 in medium now which feels good but treks sizing says a M/L will fit too. Love to go ride a ML but finding one and a medium to compare is hard so be good to hear a few opinions. Understand this is rider subjective but thought I’d ask anyway.

Posted: May 25, 2022 at 19:08 Quote
Looking to upgrade to a Fox X2 On my 2021 trek slash. Anyone know the Fox Mounting hardware Needed. No sure if its the 10mm x 40mm or the 10mm x 39.88 for the bottom hardware.

Posted: May 25, 2022 at 21:55 Quote
quickelshreds wrote:
Looking to upgrade to a Fox X2 On my 2021 trek slash. Anyone know the Fox Mounting hardware Needed. No sure if its the 10mm x 40mm or the 10mm x 39.88 for the bottom hardware.

M10x40 for lower
M10x54 for upper

Hope that helps.

Posted: May 26, 2022 at 4:11 Quote
Andy87MTB wrote:
People who are 5.8ft and 30 inch inseam how are they sizing? ML or M ? If M/L how are they finding the bike? Got a 2020 fuel ex7 in medium now which feels good but treks sizing says a M/L will fit too. Love to go ride a ML but finding one and a medium to compare is hard so be good to hear a few opinions. Understand this is rider subjective but thought I’d ask anyway.

I'm 5'11", 33" inseam, went for the L vs the M/L and I'm happy about my decision. I like the playfulness of the M/L, but preferred the longer reach and stability of the L. I often see people with the M/L and when I try it, it confirms I'm more confortable on the L for the riding I like to do.

Posted: May 26, 2022 at 6:19 Quote
Andy87MTB wrote:
People who are 5.8ft and 30 inch inseam how are they sizing? ML or M ? If M/L how are they finding the bike? Got a 2020 fuel ex7 in medium now which feels good but treks sizing says a M/L will fit too. Love to go ride a ML but finding one and a medium to compare is hard so be good to hear a few opinions. Understand this is rider subjective but thought I’d ask anyway.

Similar size at 5'7" 29ish inseam... I have a med in both 2021 Remedy and Slash. At first the Slash felt huge but after getting used to it I really like the sizing. After a few days on the Slash I'll get on the Remedy and it feels like a toy. All around the Slash is a "big" bike and I couldn't imagine being comfortable on a M/L even at an inch taller in your case.

Your Fuel is similar to my Remedy so if you like that in med then go med on the Slash for sure.

Posted: May 26, 2022 at 8:12 Quote
WharfRatNJ wrote:
Andy87MTB wrote:
People who are 5.8ft and 30 inch inseam how are they sizing? ML or M ? If M/L how are they finding the bike? Got a 2020 fuel ex7 in medium now which feels good but treks sizing says a M/L will fit too. Love to go ride a ML but finding one and a medium to compare is hard so be good to hear a few opinions. Understand this is rider subjective but thought I’d ask anyway.

Similar size at 5'7" 29ish inseam... I have a med in both 2021 Remedy and Slash. At first the Slash felt huge but after getting used to it I really like the sizing. After a few days on the Slash I'll get on the Remedy and it feels like a toy. All around the Slash is a "big" bike and I couldn't imagine being comfortable on a M/L even at an inch taller in your case.

Your Fuel is similar to my Remedy so if you like that in med then go med on the Slash for sure.

I’m about your size, 5-7 with a 30” inseam, how long of dropper are you able to run?

Posted: May 26, 2022 at 8:20 Quote
Andy87MTB wrote:
People who are 5.8ft and 30 inch inseam how are they sizing? ML or M ? If M/L how are they finding the bike? Got a 2020 fuel ex7 in medium now which feels good but treks sizing says a M/L will fit too. Love to go ride a ML but finding one and a medium to compare is hard so be good to hear a few opinions. Understand this is rider subjective but thought I’d ask anyway.

I'm 170cm, here is my case:
Used to ride a "M" (18,5) 2017 Remedy, and always felt that I want a longer bike. (It was ok on jumps, but was sketchy on fast/steep trails) M Slash would have been roughly the same length with the shorter stem, so bought the M/L. I find the bike very stable, easy to jump, definitely improvement over the Remedy. The 150mm stock post is in lowest position, and I'm fine, seat all the way forward, 35mm stem with 10° backsweep bars gives me a pretty comfortable seated position.(trying to get shorter cranks, but currently can't find one with dub wide axle).
Hope it helps. Smile Cheers

Posted: May 26, 2022 at 9:48 Quote
5,9 with my riding shoes 30" inseam ml fits perfect but I've always ridden large bikes the ml is basically a size large in most brands

Posted: May 26, 2022 at 11:39 Quote
Blue76 wrote:
5,9 with my riding shoes 30" inseam ml fits perfect but I've always ridden large bikes the ml is basically a size large in most brands
also 5 9 and the ml slash feels great, id like to try a large if i could. more room for shapes and longer wb helps carry speed. no issues with cornering either. slash 8 low setting, zeb @170

Posted: May 26, 2022 at 12:23 Quote
pqbb wrote:
trek wrote:
pqbb wrote:


Perhaps! My frame is indeed carbon.

Gladly the rub was only paint deep when I noticed it. I filled it with some epoxy during the winter maintenance to try and protect the frame for future rub. Looking untouched now, but I've been riding a 2.4 tire.

I actually really like the 2.4 in the rear with a assegai 2.5 in the front. It feels like I can better predict and have the rear tire lose traction while keeping it in the front. Not sure if it's the tire, tire size or the fact I am more used to the bike, but it's all good Big Grin .

Tire manufacturers test tires differently, so it could be their sizing is off due to the rims. Different rim widths can affect the width of the tire itself. But also, tire tread patterns could also vary in width. Specifically, Bontrager 29x2.6" tires work perfectly on the 2021+ Slash for front and rear.

-Mitch

Thanks for the info Mitch! I don't actually want to run wider tires, but it's not always easy to find the desired 2.4 tires on short notice so I am a bit disappointed that the most common maxxis 2.5 tires rub the chainstays on my 2021 slash carbon frame using the stock wheelset, but no big deal as I absolutely love the bike and have enough 2.4s in stock Big Grin .

I haven't had much luck with Bontrager tires. Their performance was interesting, but I need a heavier duty casing for where I ride and/or my riding style. I rather take the weight penalty with maxxis DH casing tires than swapping slashed tires all season long, not to mention the cost.

Just got back from vacation, so sorry for the late response here. But you should definitely try our latest SE tires, they are super robust in my experience and from the feedback I've received!

-Mitch

Posted: May 26, 2022 at 22:05 Quote
Fron the pictures by enduro mag it seems to me the new Super deluxe air will fit in the Slash?

Posted: May 26, 2022 at 23:02 Quote
Andy87MTB wrote:
People who are 5.8ft and 30 inch inseam how are they sizing? ML or M ? If M/L how are they finding the bike? Got a 2020 fuel ex7 in medium now which feels good but treks sizing says a M/L will fit too. Love to go ride a ML but finding one and a medium to compare is hard so be good to hear a few opinions. Understand this is rider subjective but thought I’d ask anyway.
I’m not this height at 6ft but I’d go for the bigger bike. For some reason the trek feels very nimble for such a big bike but also stable when you get going fast. Perhaps it’s the lenegth of the chain stays I’m not sure

Posted: May 26, 2022 at 23:27 Quote
Does new RS Super Deluxe Coil shock fit new Slash? It looks good, hope it fits!


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006713
Mobile Version of Website