Trek Slash 2021 ?

PB Forum :: Trek
Trek Slash 2021 ?
Posted: Jun 22, 2022 at 1:14 Quote
Hey guys,

the lockout switch on my damper is loose - anyone knows how to tighten it?

Moreover my slash is very loud when riding breaking bumps fast.. a very unpleasent rattling sound. Any ideas how to make the bike quiet? I already wrapped an old tube around the chainstay, but the chain is so freaking close to it.

Sometimes I think, that my damper is not dialed in and that is the reason for this harsh sound.

Posted: Jun 22, 2022 at 2:59 Quote
felix571 wrote:
Hey guys,

Moreover my slash is very loud when riding breaking bumps fast.. a very unpleasent rattling sound. Any ideas how to make the bike quiet? I already wrapped an old tube around the chainstay, but the chain is so freaking close to it.

Sometimes I think, that my damper is not dialed in and that is the reason for this harsh sound.

I've put foam into the upper part of the downtube, where cables enter, that solved one kind of rattling. My other theory is the chain is able to hit the cranks...
see like here: https://youtu.be/yI1Z1X59Nss?t=298
my cranks have the same paintdamage pattern.. which one is your forward foot in attack position?

Posted: Jun 22, 2022 at 4:33 Quote
elsorichard wrote:
felix571 wrote:
Hey guys,

I've put foam into the upper part of the downtube, where cables enter, that solved one kind of rattling. My other theory is the chain is able to hit the cranks...
my cranks have the same paintdamage pattern.. which one is your forward foot in attack position?

I have exactly the same damage on the cranks. Was always wondering where this comes from...

O+
Posted: Jun 22, 2022 at 15:08 Quote
Msahr wrote:
jadias wrote:
Just fitted a OneUp guide and bash to my Slash 8. Needed a couple of millimetres of extra washers for each bolt but fits great.

OneUp claims their products are not compatibel wuth alu Slashes...strange

Yeah, it's a strange blanket statement. I guess using the spacers supplied, they're not. But just get some thin washers and shim away, and you're all good.

Posted: Jun 22, 2022 at 15:10 Quote
just be wary of Leverage, Ive seen tabs break before the bash guard does on some frames(not slash's though)

Posted: Jun 22, 2022 at 16:08 Quote
HeatedRotor wrote:
just be wary of Leverage, Ive seen tabs break before the bash guard does on some frames(not slash's though)

I was a little concerned about this when fitting my e13. Needed 3 of their "thick" spacers but the guide only comes with 2... I had a spare laying around and got longer bolts. It just looks janky being spaced so far but e13 said there is no standard on the spacing, just the bolt hole pattern.

I have smashed the hell out of it and so far so good. The bash guard looks terrible but the iscg mount looks good to go so far a year into owning it.

Posted: Jun 22, 2022 at 22:09 Quote
elsorichard wrote:
felix571 wrote:
Hey guys,

My forward foot is the right one, so there will be no contact between chain and cranks.
Im pretty sure, that all these noises come from the drivetrain (chain, derailleur, cassette).

How about the shimano-slash-gang around here? Do you guys have similar "problems"?

Posted: Jun 23, 2022 at 12:27 Quote
felix571 wrote:
elsorichard wrote:
felix571 wrote:
Hey guys,

My forward foot is the right one, so there will be no contact between chain and cranks.
Im pretty sure, that all these noises come from the drivetrain (chain, derailleur, cassette).

How about the shimano-slash-gang around here? Do you guys have similar "problems"?

I have a 9.8GX, the bike is pretty quiet! I did tighten the clutch on the derailleur by about 1/8 of a turn at the beginning of this season. I only hear it slapping when not landing jumps smoothly. Based on all the wear marks on the chainstays guard, the chain definitely slaps on it often, but I never really noticed the sound it makes. As far the cable rattle is concern, my downtube is fully packed, almost pressurized, with tools and gummy bears - no noise from there either.

Posted: Jun 23, 2022 at 13:53 Quote
pqbb wrote:
felix571 wrote:
elsorichard wrote:

I have a 9.8GX, the bike is pretty quiet! I did tighten the clutch on the derailleur by about 1/8 of a turn at the beginning of this season. I only hear it slapping when not landing jumps smoothly. Based on all the wear marks on the chainstays guard, the chain definitely slaps on it often, but I never really noticed the sound it makes. As far the cable rattle is concern, my downtube is fully packed, almost pressurized, with tools and gummy bears - no noise from there either.
off topic but whats the weight of the 9.8GX?

Posted: Jun 23, 2022 at 15:09 Quote
taskmgr wrote:
pqbb wrote:
felix571 wrote:

off topic but whats the weight of the 9.8GX?

It's supposed to be 31.4 lbs, if I recall correctly.
However, with DH casing tires, inserts, a oneUp stem tool, all of my other tools and food in the downtube the bike weighs 37.8 pounds according to my fishing scale

Posted: Jun 23, 2022 at 16:33 Quote
The chain sits very close to the chainstay as a design feature to prevent a noisy chain slapping ask Mitch..the only noise I get is coming in hot on fast braking bumps or chunder and the gx derailleur seems to clank ..that's what you're prolly hearing..the Shimano has a much stronger clutch that prevents this..

Posted: Jun 23, 2022 at 16:33 Quote
The chain sits very close to the chainstay as a design feature to prevent a noisy chain slapping ask Mitch..the only noise I get is coming in hot on fast braking bumps or chunder and the gx derailleur seems to clank ..that's what you're prolly hearing..the Shimano has a much stronger clutch that prevents this..

Posted: Jun 23, 2022 at 22:12 Quote
pqbb wrote:
felix571 wrote:
elsorichard wrote:

Im not sure what you did tighten there. Can you explain/show me what you mean?

Posted: Jun 24, 2022 at 7:38 Quote
Hi there, anyone using a fox 175 transfer post on a slash M/L? Tks

Posted: Jun 24, 2022 at 8:34 Quote
I just wanted to put this out here but the slash for me works very well as a mullet in high. I’ve been running it for abit now after my 29er wheel broke and it is very good. It’s more playful and fun on jumps and on steep tech you can get more behind the bike on steep drops and chutes but also I have a slight feeling the suspension kinematics change and the rest shock feels even grippier But the suspension does bob abit more. I have no idea why this is to be honest. But I think that if your hesitant on it you should just try it because It can work very well

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.008630
Mobile Version of Website