Trek Slash 2021 ?

PB Forum :: Trek
Trek Slash 2021 ?
Author Message
Posted: Jul 10, 2022 at 10:58 Quote
trek wrote:
.

Well, I finally had bad luck with the Super Deluxe Thru Shaft... Quite frustrating as I now only rode 2 days out of my 15 vacation days.. was planning to ride 14 days Cry


No issues at all last season.
Sent for 200h service this winter
Blown after ~400 km (I could see it leaking very slightly from the bottom of the shock)
Sent for another 200h service at another shop
Blown after ~200 km, turns out the damper shaft broke in half near the ports - oil started spraying from the controls
I'm now getting it rebuilt again, but I also ordered the hardware to mount a normal shock.

At this point, I will have paid more in 200h services and express fees than buying a whole new shock and the hardware.


Does anyone know if the new generation Super Deluxe Ultimate (air) fits? I might just go with the previous gen Super Deluxe Ultimate given that it has proven reliability (and add a MegNeg can) but I can no longer find the post with the supported shocks in this huge thread. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Posted: Jul 14, 2022 at 7:30 Quote
I’ve got an unusual amount of oil on my shock shaft on a 2022 slash. I’m assuming a small amount is acceptable but this surely can’t be right. Anyone else with this issue and what did they do to resolve it?

Posted: Jul 14, 2022 at 12:02 Quote
Ah bugger dude, that sux. Pulled my shock off last night (2021 Thru shaft) as was getting some creaking and turns out the lower shock pivots were ceased, so the shock has been getting super stressed under movement - not good. Seems like I might have caught it in time, but perhaps something like this might have stressed your shock too causing failure?? Bottom line learning for me - check shock mounting hardware regularly.

There was definitely a post on this thread a while back from the Trek rep that listed a bunch of compatible shocks. I'm pretty sure you'll be fine with a regular Super Deluxe air or coil. Lots of the EWS folks on the Slash are running the SD coil it seems.

Good luck!

pqbb wrote:

Well, I finally had bad luck with the Super Deluxe Thru Shaft... Quite frustrating as I now only rode 2 days out of my 15 vacation days.. was planning to ride 14 days Cry


No issues at all last season.
Sent for 200h service this winter
Blown after ~400 km (I could see it leaking very slightly from the bottom of the shock)
Sent for another 200h service at another shop
Blown after ~200 km, turns out the damper shaft broke in half near the ports - oil started spraying from the controls
I'm now getting it rebuilt again, but I also ordered the hardware to mount a normal shock.

At this point, I will have paid more in 200h services and express fees than buying a whole new shock and the hardware.


Does anyone know if the new generation Super Deluxe Ultimate (air) fits? I might just go with the previous gen Super Deluxe Ultimate given that it has proven reliability (and add a MegNeg can) but I can no longer find the post with the supported shocks in this huge thread. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Posted: Jul 14, 2022 at 12:08 Quote
How old is the shock? Do you mean on the main damper body (black) or on the thru shaft? Mine is about a year old now and for the first few months I thought the same as you, lots of oil on the damper body after each ride. Took it back to the shop and they said its normal, ignore it and go shred. I did that and it hasn't seemed to have been an issue since and the amount of oil now on the damper body is down to a 'normal' level.

Andy87MTB wrote:
I’ve got an unusual amount of oil on my shock shaft on a 2022 slash. I’m assuming a small amount is acceptable but this surely can’t be right. Anyone else with this issue and what did they do to resolve it?

Posted: Jul 14, 2022 at 12:18 Quote
samty wrote:
How old is the shock? Do you mean on the main damper body (black) or on the thru shaft? Mine is about a year old now and for the first few months I thought the same as you, lots of oil on the damper body after each ride. Took it back to the shop and they said its normal, ignore it and go shred. I did that and it hasn't seemed to have been an issue since and the amount of oil now on the damper body is down to a 'normal' level.

Andy87MTB wrote:
I’ve got an unusual amount of oil on my shock shaft on a 2022 slash. I’m assuming a small amount is acceptable but this surely can’t be right. Anyone else with this issue and what did they do to resolve it?

It’s around the shaft not out the bottom which I guess is a good sign. Just seems abit excessive compared to my standard super deluxe. Bike feels great and isn’t causing any issues so will carry on as normal for now.

Posted: Jul 14, 2022 at 13:02 Quote
samty wrote:
Ah bugger dude, that sux. Pulled my shock off last night (2021 Thru shaft) as was getting some creaking and turns out the lower shock pivots were ceased, so the shock has been getting super stressed under movement - not good. Seems like I might have caught it in time, but perhaps something like this might have stressed your shock too causing failure?? Bottom line learning for me - check shock mounting hardware regularly.

There was definitely a post on this thread a while back from the Trek rep that listed a bunch of compatible shocks. I'm pretty sure you'll be fine with a regular Super Deluxe air or coil. Lots of the EWS folks on the Slash are running the SD coil it seems.

Good luck!

pqbb wrote:

Well, I finally had bad luck with the Super Deluxe Thru Shaft... Quite frustrating as I now only rode 2 days out of my 15 vacation days.. was planning to ride 14 days Cry


No issues at all last season.
Sent for 200h service this winter
Blown after ~400 km (I could see it leaking very slightly from the bottom of the shock)
Sent for another 200h service at another shop
Blown after ~200 km, turns out the damper shaft broke in half near the ports - oil started spraying from the controls
I'm now getting it rebuilt again, but I also ordered the hardware to mount a normal shock.

At this point, I will have paid more in 200h services and express fees than buying a whole new shock and the hardware.


Does anyone know if the new generation Super Deluxe Ultimate (air) fits? I might just go with the previous gen Super Deluxe Ultimate given that it has proven reliability (and add a MegNeg can) but I can no longer find the post with the supported shocks in this huge thread. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

I changed all the frame bearings this winter, they were all in a surprisingly bad shape for ~3000km of use, but they still turned.

Posted: Jul 22, 2022 at 20:37 Quote
Anyone else have chainline issues with this bike? I have a 9.8 XT and the chain skips in the lowest few gears because the chainline is so extreme. Doesn't seem like the chainring can really be brought in much either without contacting the frame.

Posted: Jul 23, 2022 at 0:11 Quote
sounds like your derailleur hanger is bend.
chain line is bad on this bike but no issues while riding on my bike.

Posted: Jul 26, 2022 at 5:09 Quote
ranchitup wrote:
Anyone else have chainline issues with this bike? I have a 9.8 XT and the chain skips in the lowest few gears because the chainline is so extreme. Doesn't seem like the chainring can really be brought in much either without contacting the frame.
No such issues on my 9.8 GX

Posted: Jul 27, 2022 at 11:55 Quote

9.8 XT non driveside shot

(will) change(ed) from stock:
-absolut Black Oval Chain ring 30T and absolut black oval chainguide
-Panchowheels Status + Vibe Wheelsets
-maxxis dissector and assegai + dhr2 dd
-deity handlebar
-45mm stem instead of 35mm
-203mm rotor rear
-squlab saddle

Posted: Jul 27, 2022 at 20:23 Quote
pAzk wrote:

9.8 XT non driveside shot

(will) change(ed) from stock:
-absolut Black Oval Chain ring 30T and absolut black oval chainguide
-Panchowheels Status + Vibe Wheelsets
-maxxis dissector and assegai + dhr2 dd
-deity handlebar
-45mm stem instead of 35mm
-203mm rotor rear
-squlab saddle

Looks good, what size frame?

Posted: Jul 27, 2022 at 22:21 Quote
[Quote="pqbb"]
trek wrote:
.

Does anyone know if the new generation Super Deluxe Ultimate (air) fits? I might just go with the previous gen Super Deluxe Ultimate given that it has proven reliability (and add a MegNeg can) but I can no longer find the post with the supported shocks in this huge thread. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

2023 Superdeluxe fits in the frame. Put it in my Slash 7. Great improvement.

Posted: Jul 28, 2022 at 0:19 Quote
SirWilhelm wrote:
pAzk wrote:

9.8 XT non driveside shot

(will) change(ed) from stock:
-absolut Black Oval Chain ring 30T and absolut black oval chainguide
-Panchowheels Status + Vibe Wheelsets
-maxxis dissector and assegai + dhr2 dd
-deity handlebar
-45mm stem instead of 35mm
-203mm rotor rear
-squlab saddle

Looks good, what size frame?

Large

Posted: Jul 28, 2022 at 7:59 Quote
[Quote="Msahr"]
pqbb wrote:
trek wrote:
.

Does anyone know if the new generation Super Deluxe Ultimate (air) fits? I might just go with the previous gen Super Deluxe Ultimate given that it has proven reliability (and add a MegNeg can) but I can no longer find the post with the supported shocks in this huge thread. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

2023 Superdeluxe fits in the frame. Put it in my Slash 7. Great improvement.
I didn't know 2023 was available yet. Air or coil?

Posted: Jul 28, 2022 at 8:37 Quote
What does everyone think of the stock bars? I've heard some say that they aren't very compliant and a bit stiff, but I've had no qualms with mine. Never really had the desire to change them out due to their characteristics.
I'm curious on what peoples opinions are on them....


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009328
Mobile Version of Website