Trek Slash 2021 ?

PB Forum :: Trek
Trek Slash 2021 ?
O+
Posted: Sep 19, 2022 at 23:39 Quote
simonhuscroft wrote:
I’ve just picked up a very lightly used 2021 slash 7 and having ridden it yesterday had a question about the shock (rockshox deluxe select plus) / rear suspension.

The small bump compliance seems really poor. It does however feel great when hitting bigger stuff. Is this a trait of the shock or bike in general? For reference I’m running about 220 psi which gives me about 35 percent sag when trek recommend 255 for my weight. I did have a bounce around on the trek recommended pressure but I would never get anywhere near full travel and the small bump would have been even worse.
At 220 I used about 90 percent of travel on some fairly big drops and rough stuff.

Other than the rear shock I feel pretty happy with it, even the guide t’s surprised me coming from codes. I did swap my coiled 36 over from my old stumpy evo so im aware there will be a performance difference but I feel like it should definitely feel better than it does.

Same here, the deluxe felt always super harsh. Swaped to a 23 super deluxe ultimate and now it feels great, tracks the trail incredibly well. Before that on fast root sections the rear wheel was "jumping". I even lost my chain sometimes...

Posted: Sep 20, 2022 at 6:08 Quote
has anyone had time on the 2023 super deluxe ultimate? did trek dump their proprietary shock for 2023? my 2022 seems like it constantly needs to be rebuilt and is always losing air. set at 220 then a couple rides later its at 190

Posted: Sep 20, 2022 at 6:27 Quote
taskmgr wrote:
has anyone had time on the 2023 super deluxe ultimate? did trek dump their proprietary shock for 2023? my 2022 seems like it constantly needs to be rebuilt and is always losing air. set at 220 then a couple rides later its at 190

Should be getting mine this week or early next for similar reasons (had the shock rebuilt 4x this year, even broke the damper shaft..), very much looking forward to the 2023 Super Deluxe Ultimate eyelet mount.
I'll report back with first impressions asap

O+
Posted: Sep 20, 2022 at 6:31 Quote
taskmgr wrote:

It is great

Posted: Sep 20, 2022 at 6:44 Quote
Msahr wrote:
taskmgr wrote:

It is great
are you running air? what are the differences you are finding in the real world compared to the 2022 version?

O+
Posted: Sep 20, 2022 at 9:47 Quote
Yes I am running air. Never had the SD air from 22, only the deluxe. The SD23 is way plusher as the deluxe, especially in repeated hit like lots of roots. No more chain jumps, no more aching feet from the hits. The rear wheel tracks the ground pretty well, it is faster back on the ground, pretty hard to describe but it war very noticeable on my well known decends. The result is I can go faster more easily. These are my main findings. What I also like is the lsc and hsc adjustments. I use a shockwiz btw. The changes in compression are super noticeable and I like the ability to adjust the shock according to the needs as I am riding a variety of mixed terrain. Together with the option to add spacers in pos and neg air chamber a pretty versatile shock. Also I need to add that the Rockshox app provided a relatively on point estimation of air pressure.

Posted: Sep 20, 2022 at 11:34 Quote
Was trying to look through posts a bit but what are the taller guys riding?
Im 6'2" and have pretty much lately been on bikes with 485-500mm reach the XL slash is 520mm. Main concern maybe on the Large would be the actual seat tube angle being so slack I am way off the back when pedaling which I guess with chain stays the same through the sizing the XL would be the same.

I am trying to downsize from a 120mm bike and a DH bike to one bike, so an even bigger version of this bike seems not ideal, has anyone used this for kind of flat XC trails with a few roots and things? My local stuff is like this but on the weekends I am usually in Pisgah or a bike park.

Posted: Sep 20, 2022 at 12:06 Quote
Aem221 wrote:
Im 6'2" and have pretty much lately been on bikes with 485-500mm reach the XL slash is 520mm. Main concern maybe on the Large would be the actual seat tube angle being so slack I am way off the back when pedaling which I guess with chain stays the same through the sizing the XL would be the same.

I am trying to downsize from a 120mm bike and a DH bike to one bike, so an even bigger version of this bike seems not ideal, has anyone used this for kind of flat XC trails with a few roots and things? My local stuff is like this but on the weekends I am usually in Pisgah or a bike park.

I'm 5'11" (33" inseam) and am quite glad to have gotten the L (even after trying the M/L multiple times before and after buying the L).
The 486mm reach is perfect for me, I would be fine slightly longer but not shorter.
I don't notice much on the pedaling side of things, positioning is to my liking with the seat moved all the way forward.

For your 2nd question, I have my slash setup mostly for biking park and DH (very progressive fork/shock, DH casing tires, inserts, etc) which is what I do and enjoy the most and find it pretty boring to ride on XC trails as you describe them. It rides just fine, but it just wants to go faster and is too stable/not playful enough for easy to ride terrain. When I go out with friends that prefer the flatter terrain, I find myself somewhat dissatisfied and wanting more speed/adrenaline/fun.

Posted: Sep 20, 2022 at 22:16 Quote
Msahr wrote:
simonhuscroft wrote:
I’ve just picked up a very lightly used 2021 slash 7 and having ridden it yesterday had a question about the shock (rockshox deluxe select plus) / rear suspension.

The small bump compliance seems really poor. It does however feel great when hitting bigger stuff. Is this a trait of the shock or bike in general? For reference I’m running about 220 psi which gives me about 35 percent sag when trek recommend 255 for my weight. I did have a bounce around on the trek recommended pressure but I would never get anywhere near full travel and the small bump would have been even worse.
At 220 I used about 90 percent of travel on some fairly big drops and rough stuff.

Other than the rear shock I feel pretty happy with it, even the guide t’s surprised me coming from codes. I did swap my coiled 36 over from my old stumpy evo so im aware there will be a performance difference but I feel like it should definitely feel better than it does.

Same here, the deluxe felt always super harsh. Swaped to a 23 super deluxe ultimate and now it feels great, tracks the trail incredibly well. Before that on fast root sections the rear wheel was "jumping". I even lost my chain sometimes...

Do you need any special hardware to mount the 23 superdeluxe ultimate in the rear? Can you link the model you bought? Please describe in detail - thanks!

Posted: Sep 20, 2022 at 22:16 Quote
Aem221 wrote:

the AXS dropper lets you get it REALLY steep. IMO

Posted: Sep 21, 2022 at 0:33 Quote
Hi guys ,
Id like some advice on frame size, looking to get a slash 8.
6'2" , 36" inseam (190cm/89cm) , large or xl? Size charts put me in xl , but im hesitant as it seems very big. Intended use is trail, enduro racing and i love riding jump lines/flow trails.

Could i comfortably ride a Large and put a bigger stem/bar if needed? Currently on a S5 stumpy evo , which feels pretty big and stable but a little hard to really throw around. Great fit standing , possibly a little long seated.

And how are they to jump? Fairly progressive and hard to bottom or is it plush and blowing through the travel often on bigger hits?

Cheers!!

Posted: Sep 21, 2022 at 3:33 Quote
DirtSurfing wrote:
Hi guys ,
Id like some advice on frame size, looking to get a slash 8.
6'2" , 36" inseam (190cm/89cm) , large or xl? Size charts put me in xl , but im hesitant as it seems very big. Intended use is trail, enduro racing and i love riding jump lines/flow trails.

Could i comfortably ride a Large and put a bigger stem/bar if needed? Currently on a S5 stumpy evo , which feels pretty big and stable but a little hard to really throw around. Great fit standing , possibly a little long seated.

And how are they to jump? Fairly progressive and hard to bottom or is it plush and blowing through the travel often on bigger hits?

Cheers!!

Looks like a lot of taller guys are asking the same question including me. I’m still between a slash and a stumpy evo alloy, what makes you want to go for the slash over the evo?

Posted: Sep 21, 2022 at 7:41 Quote
Anyone put a 180 mm in front? I'm sure it's great on descent but how is it when climbing?
Thanks

Posted: Sep 21, 2022 at 12:00 Quote
Has anyone tried fitting up a ‘23 Rockshox super deluxe ultimate coil with the standard mountings? Seen which of the older versions fit or don’t but just wondered what the latest stuff fits up like?

Thanks in advance

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011992
Mobile Version of Website