Trek Slash 2021 ?

PB Forum :: Trek
Trek Slash 2021 ?
Author Message
Posted: Oct 9, 2022 at 18:52 Quote
samesame84 wrote:
Aem221 wrote:
DirtSurfing wrote:
Hi guys ,
Id like some advice on frame size, looking to get a slash 8.
6'2" , 36" inseam (190cm/89cm) , large or xl? Size charts put me in xl , but im hesitant as it seems very big. Intended use is trail, enduro racing and i love riding jump lines/flow trails.

Could i comfortably ride a Large and put a bigger stem/bar if needed? Currently on a S5 stumpy evo , which feels pretty big and stable but a little hard to really throw around. Great fit standing , possibly a little long seated.

And how are they to jump? Fairly progressive and hard to bottom or is it plush and blowing through the travel often on bigger hits?

Cheers!!

Looks like a lot of taller guys are asking the same question including me. I’m still between a slash and a stumpy evo alloy, what makes you want to go for the slash over the evo?
Im 189cm , i shoudl be an XL but went LArge. Zero regret. XL is a barge

Awesome, thanks for the input! I got to try a Large slash (only in the carpark) but it felt quite a comfy fit. Hoping to try xl too first but leaning towards a L.

Posted: Oct 10, 2022 at 2:41 Quote
Has anyone tried O-Chain on the Slash?

Posted: Oct 14, 2022 at 1:18 Quote
FlorianTHT wrote:
Has anyone tried O-Chain on the Slash?

not yet but spoke to local trek store as i am looking at buying one very soon, they suggested it would work fine on the slash. i will report back when i fit mine

Posted: Oct 14, 2022 at 7:06 Quote
dandunne13 wrote:
FlorianTHT wrote:
Has anyone tried O-Chain on the Slash?

not yet but spoke to local trek store as i am looking at buying one very soon, they suggested it would work fine on the slash. i will report back when i fit mine
are you noticeing lots of kick back? why are you considering it?

Posted: Oct 14, 2022 at 11:07 Quote
My Slash has minimal pedal kickback in comparison to other bike I have had. Definitely curious though the hear thoughts after you install it.

Posted: Oct 14, 2022 at 11:52 Quote
[/Quote] are you noticeing lots of kick back? why are you considering it?[/Quote]

I am considering it because I would like to see how much difference it makes
and because I like how the Rail rides (with freehub inside the drive unit - which kind of detaches the chain from suspension as well)

Dont get me wrong, I really like the slash but even after close to 5000 km & lots of races I feel like I haven't reached all of the bike''s potential yet

Posted: Oct 14, 2022 at 14:08 Quote
FlorianTHT wrote:
taskmgr wrote:
are you noticeing lots of kick back? why are you considering it?

I am considering it because I would like to see how much difference it makes
and because I like how the Rail rides (with freehub inside the drive unit - which kind of detaches the chain from suspension as well)

Dont get me wrong, I really like the slash but even after close to 5000 km & lots of races I feel like I haven't reached all of the bike''s potential yet

I had one on my slash last year (and on other bikes in the past), I decided not to user oval chainrings anymore as I couldn't notice the benefits, but I could notice the annoyance when sprinting. I'm happier with the round chainrings and not feeling the part of the rotation that is harder/easier.

As far as pedal kickback is concerned, check out the "ochain active spider".
It basically adds a few configurable degrees of play in the chainring/spider in order to remove or reduce pedal kickback.
A few people I know have it and really like it (but aren't riding slashes) and are happy with the quality too.. but not the price.

Posted: Oct 17, 2022 at 3:22 Quote
taskmgr wrote:
dandunne13 wrote:
FlorianTHT wrote:
Has anyone tried O-Chain on the Slash?

not yet but spoke to local trek store as i am looking at buying one very soon, they suggested it would work fine on the slash. i will report back when i fit mine
are you noticeing lots of kick back? why are you considering it?

i am going to try one as my previous bike was a high pivot (forbidden) and loved the chainless feeling on the rough stuff, i have to say i dont notice massive amounts of pedal kickback on the slash but i think it would improve the suspension and performance on rough terrain. a friend of mine has one and from what he says he notices a difference.

O+
Posted: Nov 4, 2022 at 17:15 Quote
samty wrote:
I had this issue too
elsorichard wrote:
samesame84 wrote:
Bike 2 months old
Bottom shock bearings are gubbed already

It is manufacturing issue. The bearings are most likely fine, the spacers and lower shock widths are too narrow, so tightening the bottom mount going to seize the bearings. You can add thin extra washers to fix this problem.

I took your advice and added very thin plastic spacers to take up the 1.5mm or so of wiggle room in the lower shock mount assembly. I made the spacers with thin plastic cut out - just some old packaging I had lying around. That's all it took. Back together (pain the ass with washers falling all over the place), torqued to spec, and now it spins like butter! Prior to that when torqued to spec the lower shock mount bearing assembly would hardly move at all, pretty much seized, and was extremely crunchy since the bearings were overloaded and likely pulled at an angle. Can't be good for the shock either as it will be operating under flex the majority of the stroke.

I highly recommend others check their lower shock mount by undoing the top shock mounts and seeing how freely the lower mounts move, and do the same with spacers if need be. Mine is an alloy 2021. Not sure if this is still an issue on newer frames or carbon...

Dirty sketch below showing where I added the small spacers.

Trek Slash 2021 lower shock mount spacing issue solution

Posted: Nov 4, 2022 at 17:27 Quote
this is why they removed double trunnion on the 2023 bikes. problem doesnt exsist if you change to the Eyelet style bushing setup like the 2023 or "slash 7" bolt/shock setup

Posted: Nov 5, 2022 at 12:48 Quote
samty wrote:
samty wrote:
I had this issue too
elsorichard wrote:


It is manufacturing issue. The bearings are most likely fine, the spacers and lower shock widths are too narrow, so tightening the bottom mount going to seize the bearings. You can add thin extra washers to fix this problem.

I took your advice and added very thin plastic spacers to take up the 1.5mm or so of wiggle room in the lower shock mount assembly. I made the spacers with thin plastic cut out - just some old packaging I had lying around. That's all it took. Back together (pain the ass with washers falling all over the place), torqued to spec, and now it spins like butter! Prior to that when torqued to spec the lower shock mount bearing assembly would hardly move at all, pretty much seized, and was extremely crunchy since the bearings were overloaded and likely pulled at an angle. Can't be good for the shock either as it will be operating under flex the majority of the stroke.

I highly recommend others check their lower shock mount by undoing the top shock mounts and seeing how freely the lower mounts move, and do the same with spacers if need be. Mine is an alloy 2021. Not sure if this is still an issue on newer frames or carbon...

Dirty sketch below showing where I added the small spacers.

Trek Slash 2021 lower shock mount spacing issue solution

did the same on my 22 carbon frame.
added 1mm on just on one side and it's aligned perfectly now

Posted: Nov 5, 2022 at 14:49 Quote
Interesting.. I had the opposite issue where there was no play at all, the "bottom trunion" would be very difficult to fit, the washers scratched all the paint of the bottom trunion. I then noticed the area/lip where the bearings sit when pressed is extremely thin and partially non-existant on the non-drive side.

Regardless, I no longer have issues or concerns as I changed to a eyelet mounted shock.

(Beautiful drawing, by the way Smile )

Posted: Nov 7, 2022 at 23:14 Quote
Hey guys, just got a brand new Trek Slash in 2021 orange colour. I've read that Mino link likes to come loose, I've seen a zip tie on Jamie Edmondson, I guess not to loose it on trail. Shall I rill through original bolt or there is a smarter way of doing it?

Posted: Nov 21, 2022 at 11:05 Quote
Hi guys, I've bought a fox dpx2 to replace the stock shock on my slash 7. Am I right in thinking that I can reuse the hardware and change the du bushings? Anyone know what size I'd need? And if I'm missing anything. Cheers.

Posted: Nov 22, 2022 at 5:28 Quote
ciechan wrote:
Hey guys, just got a brand new Trek Slash in 2021 orange colour. I've read that Mino link likes to come loose, I've seen a zip tie on Jamie Edmondson, I guess not to loose it on trail. Shall I rill through original bolt or there is a smarter way of doing it?

I've ridden mine for ~6000km, it never came loose. It does have a lot of locktite (that I let dry before installing), as do all my other pivot bolts.


 
Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2023. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.013705
Mobile Version of Website