Trek Slash 2021 ?

PB Forum :: Trek
Trek Slash 2021 ?
Posted: Oct 16, 2020 at 3:58 Quote
I don't really want to spend £30 (20wt oil + 5wt teflon infused oil + crush washers that cost more than gold) just to check if they have oil in them, but I guess I'll have to do it...

Posted: Oct 16, 2020 at 22:17 Quote
Davidm816 wrote:
mtbtrekracer wrote:
freerider129 wrote:

Read back through a few pages. People with Alum frames are in the same boat. Seems to be the ABP assembly. Make sure BB is tight and greased too. Mine actually stopped creaking on its own after about 100 miles. Been checking all the pivots more frequently.

I greased my ABP and initially i thought that had solved it but after more riding its just more and more apparent...
Im in the same boat as the other guy, pissing me off now too.
I haven’t had a slash 8 apart yet but we had the same problem with a 2021 fuel ex 8. The main pivot has a bearing on each side with an aluminum spacer between them. The bearing were pressed so tight it was binding on the spacer. I knocked each bearing out one hit and the problem was solved.

Just like to update on this, Took my slash back to shop, they pulled all the bearings and put them back in, used some stringy white teflon grease on all the pivots and the bike is silent now.. it almost feels more free and active, tried back to back with a 180mm fork(same fork with updated debonair shaft) and it stands tall in the front but still soft off the top when blasting down the really steep stuff.
The bike is seriously good now but will probably go back to 170mm 2021 shaft for everyday riding.

Posted: Oct 17, 2020 at 12:23 Quote
I see a lot of issues with trek 8 bearings and creaking sounds.

I have a Cube stereo 120 for 1 year that I used on enduro/dh trails. And it is in perfect condition, with no sounds or other issues. I never touched the bearings or the suspension. But with 130 mm of fork travel, it's not the best in this kind of terrain.

So I expect perfect craftsmanship at this price point from trek.
The Slash 9.7, with fox suspension, has the same issues?

Posted: Oct 17, 2020 at 12:48 Quote
Andrei05 wrote:
I see a lot of issues with trek 8 bearings and creaking sounds.

I have a Cube stereo 120 for 1 year that I used on enduro/dh trails. And it is in perfect condition, with no sounds or other issues. I never touched the bearings or the suspension. But with 130 mm of fork travel, it's not the best in this kind of terrain.

So I expect perfect craftsmanship at this price point from trek.
The Slash 9.7, with fox suspension, has the same issues?

The carbons dont seem to have the issue, currently building a carbon slash frame up for my boy to race.
It's an easy fix that the shop you buy from will sort for free under warranty quickly anyway.

Friends of ours have 2 slash 8, one in small and other large and they dont have the issue.

Posted: Oct 17, 2020 at 13:12 Quote
Flimsiness of storage cover anyone?

Posted: Oct 18, 2020 at 8:19 Quote
nouseforaname wrote:
spaniardclimber wrote:
Did any of you with the 2021 Slash (9.7 specifically) check the fork oil?
I've read in some forums that due to shipping restrictions they ship bone dry?

"Shipping restrictions" AKA normal poor OEM QC.

Depends on shipping methods, or more likely why waste oil in a fork

Posted: Oct 18, 2020 at 8:53 Quote
Toninhohr wrote:

I put a piece of mastik rubber tape at a couple of points on my BITS box (on the frame) to firm it up. Still opens and closes fine, but is not noticeably rattly when riding even with a 750ml bottle.

Posted: Oct 18, 2020 at 10:40 Quote
So, ghetto solutions needed...

Posted: Oct 18, 2020 at 12:04 Quote
The door on my Fuel is fine, no rattling or any else like that. One thing to keep in mind though, the bits compartment is not water proof. Whenever I give my bike a good wash I take the pouch out so it doesn’t get all wet.

Posted: Oct 21, 2020 at 5:40 Quote
Toninhohr wrote:

Yes..on carbon model...with full bottle 750ml it is rattling...my ghetto solution was I used self-adhesive velcro strap.
It still opens only whey you close it you hate to push the "door" down little firmer.

https://ibb.co/G3vMMQn

Posted: Oct 22, 2020 at 6:02 Quote
I'm confused with shock sizes, metric vs union...so may I ask, if my Slash comes with a 230x62.5mm Fox DPX2, can I replace it with a Marzocchi Bomber CR of the same size? I assume all mounting hardware will work?

Posted: Oct 22, 2020 at 10:09 Quote
spaniardclimber wrote:
I'm confused with shock sizes, metric vs union...so may I ask, if my Slash comes with a 230x62.5mm Fox DPX2, can I replace it with a Marzocchi Bomber CR of the same size? I assume all mounting hardware will work?

You will have to take 230x65 and then decreased travel to 62,5mm if its possible (ask the dealers ), or you can use the 230x65mm and you will get a little more travel on the rear. (if there is no problem with clearence for rear tyre and frame)..

Posted: 1 days ago Quote
What worries me is long eTT on XL.
It's 684mm, 24mm more then most bikes with close reach and wheel base numbers.

I'm worried about that 30mm more then on my XL Remedy with 50mm stem.

Slash comes with 40mm stem, but i'm affraid that seated i'll be too stretched with 6.24 (190cm) and saddle railed full forward.

All rewievs are focusing on reach, not reach in correlation with eTT...

Posted: 15 hours ago Quote
Toninhohr wrote:
What worries me is long eTT on XL.
It's 684mm, 24mm more then most bikes with close reach and wheel base numbers.

I'm worried about that 30mm more then on my XL Remedy with 50mm stem.

Slash comes with 40mm stem, but i'm affraid that seated i'll be too stretched with 6.24 (190cm) and saddle railed full forward.

All rewievs are focusing on reach, not reach in correlation with ETT...

That's because most people don't understand bike geometry and need to be spoon fed the details of what they are supposed to be caring about.

Now imagine that there's no meaningful standard for how ETT is measured.

A new bike is going to feel different to your old bike, that's the point. And taking a single (or even a couple of metrics) and using it to drive the whole fit is not going to work. Look at the numbers and see what they say when compared in totatlity.

Eg:
Longer reach = more room standing (too much?)
Longer ETT = more weight on front wheel climbing (too stretched out?)
Longer WB = More stable descending straight line (harder to corner in tight switchbacks?)
etc etc Until you can see the pros and cons of the whole bike (holistically), because even BB drop will change how a bike feels.

And once you've done all that, realize that you're just a regular joe riding a bike and it probably doesn't matter all that much.

Posted: 13 hours ago Quote
What matters is that it suits me or you, or anyone...Since i had to choose the size before the bike geo was released i opted for XL, since current bike is a tad short for my "taste& style".
(you can read it as averageness)

Wanted a longer WB, longer reach, but not that long eTT...We'll see, hope will be fine.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008196
Mobile Version of Website