Trek Slash 2021 ?

PB Forum :: Trek
Trek Slash 2021 ?
Posted: Nov 18, 2020 at 15:24 Quote
I have a 2021 8 and yes, I've had the creaking issue, that has since been resolved, and had the raised headset bearing which I replaced with a wolf tooth upper headset (fits much better). Yes, it cost me a few bucks and a couple trips back to the shop, but I do love this bike and understand that it's a tricky year and supplies are limited.

Also, Just be glad you could get one! My buddy called the LBS the day that the new Stumpjumper was released and he was told that Big S didn't even have any available. I'm sure every brand is having their own problems.

Thanks Mitch for actually keeping up with this thread and giving your feedback. Most of us do appreciate it, even if it's not what we want to hear. I'm going to keep riding this Slash and loving it!

Posted: Nov 18, 2020 at 15:53 Quote
Just the fact that Mitch is answering in this thread made me want one even more !

Posted: Nov 18, 2020 at 16:21 Quote
I don't think I have ever seen any other major bike manufacturer respond in a thread much less all of the ones I have seen Mitch respond to. Keep kicking ass Mitch!!

Posted: Nov 18, 2020 at 16:56 Quote
I still don't get it..If you have the HT bearing issue, you make a warranty claim, and ride the bike until they send you new frame or front triangle?

How can you explain to future buyer that this is ok when you will sell the bike?
Just hope that my Slash 8 will be ok when arrives.

O+
Posted: Nov 18, 2020 at 18:02 Quote
whattheheel wrote:
I don't think I have ever seen any other major bike manufacturer respond in a thread much less all of the ones I have seen Mitch respond to. Keep kicking ass Mitch!!

I’ve seen a couple over on MTBR (Noel Buckley and Keith from Banshee come to mind) but that’s about it. So 3 people, 2 of which are from boutique brands? That is impressive, especially considering how bottom of the barrel these forums can become!

O+
Posted: Nov 18, 2020 at 18:50 Quote
I think if you are choosing a bike after reading the Pinkbike forum you are crazy. Nobody posts how tight the top cap clearance is they only post when there is a problem. We have sold 7 slash 8’s and a few carbon bikes and have had no issues. We completely strip the bike and grease everything before it goes on the floor. If your local shop doesn’t do that I’m sure they will happily do it if you asked.

We did have 1 problem with a 2021 fuel. The bearings in the main pivot were pressed so tight that the spacer between them was stuck at a slight angle. The pivot bolt was rubbing against the spacer. One wack on each bearing with an extractor solved the problem.

The bike is awesome.

Posted: Nov 18, 2020 at 22:37 Quote
trek wrote:
felix571 wrote:
Asgas wrote:
Man seems like a few to many faults on this Bike to warrant the pricetag, Selling my current Bike on saturday and was set on getting a slash 8 but having second thoughts.. How is the downtube lid/bottlecage holding up on the alu frame? It felt a little flimsy on the slash i looked at.

It hold pretty well. Using it with a fidlock bottle mounted on top and had no issues there.
Maybe the lever war not completly closed on the test bike?

Don´t get me wrong, I really love this bike - if I can ride it.

If my before mentioned problems are solved, it should be good.
I´m interested in how Trek is going to fix the head tube bearing problem, pretty sure that my bike is affected as well.

Maybe Mitch from the Trek team can give us an update there?

No update, ride as is as it is only a cosmetic gap and will not hinder riding performance.

-Mitch

Thank you for responding Mitch! If it´s just a optical issue, I really don´t care.
Looking forward to get back my bike with a new/fixed super deluxe thru-shaft and start riding again.

I´m just glad, that this happened now and not in the beginning of the season.

Posted: Nov 19, 2020 at 0:02 Quote
Other topic:

What are your already implemented or planned tunings for the Slash 8?

Posted: Nov 19, 2020 at 0:19 Quote
My Slash 8 is supposed to come in the end of January. I already bought new DT EX 511/350 wheelset, Lyrik RC 2.1 upgrade, OneUp dropper.
Brakes Code rsc and Renthal bars will be from current bike.
Need to buy tyres...Magic Mary/Big Betty combo.

Posted: Nov 19, 2020 at 2:59 Quote
Toninhohr wrote:
My Slash 8 is supposed to come in the end of January. I already bought new DT EX 511/350 wheelset, Lyrik RC 2.1 upgrade, OneUp dropper.

What is the difference between your new wheelset and the stock one?
And what do you mean with the lyrik upgrade?

O+
Posted: Nov 19, 2020 at 6:57 Quote
Anyone know if the 2021 Slash 8 OEM Lyric has the 2021 air spring with the better sealhead/footnut that gets it to sit higher in the travel?

Ordered the parts for my 2020 Remedy but have a Slash on order and am trying to figure out if it's already "upgraded" aka made to work correctly under the guise of an upgrade...

O+
Posted: Nov 19, 2020 at 7:01 Quote
felix571 wrote:
Toninhohr wrote:

Have you actually ridden the bontrager wheelset that comes stock?

I've put almost a year on a 27.5 set of the Line Comp 30 wheels and they really really impressed me. Do the pawl/spring upgrade that converts it to 108pt engagement and call it good. I don't see the EX511/350 wheels as an upgrade.

O+
Posted: Nov 19, 2020 at 7:02 Quote
felix571 wrote:
Toninhohr wrote:

Fork has the Charger 2 damper, not the 2.1 like on current forks.

O+
Posted: Nov 19, 2020 at 7:06 Quote
[Quote="WharfRatNJ"]
felix571 wrote:
Have you actually ridden the bontrager wheelset that comes stock?

I've put almost a year on a 27.5 set of the Line Comp 30 wheels and they really really impressed me. Do the pawl/spring upgrade that converts it to 108pt engagement and call it good. I don't see the EX511/350 wheels as an upgrade.

Was going to say the same, the Line Comp 30s with the pawl upgrade are actually fantastic for a budget alloy set. Maybe not quite as strong a rim as the 511s but still good IMO.

O+
Posted: Nov 19, 2020 at 7:43 Quote
If you go to the Trek Slash 8 (tech specs) webpage, it clearly says Charger 2.1 RC Damper so no need to upgrade.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011404
Mobile Version of Website