Trek Slash 2021 ?

PB Forum :: Trek
Trek Slash 2021 ?
Posted: Nov 26, 2020 at 0:37 Quote
iliveonnitro wrote:
felix571 wrote:
mtbtrekracer wrote:
did you correctly cycle the shock as you pumped it up, mine did the same untill i cycled it and then stays reasonably constant.

What do you mean with "cycle the shock"?

Gotta bounce on the bike while filling the shock with air to pressurize the second chamber. Usually do this around 50% and 75% pressure.

But we are talking about the thru shaft damper, right? I will definetly try that!
But all in all, do you need to refill the damper from time to time?

Posted: Nov 26, 2020 at 4:46 Quote
Does anyone have already switched to a Super Deluxe Coil Ultimate?
Trek says, that this damper fits as well.

Posted: Nov 26, 2020 at 8:43 Quote
felix571 wrote:
iliveonnitro wrote:
felix571 wrote:

What do you mean with "cycle the shock"?

Gotta bounce on the bike while filling the shock with air to pressurize the second chamber. Usually do this around 50% and 75% pressure.

But we are talking about the thru shaft damper, right? I will definetly try that!

Yes, all shocks with the extra chamber will need to equalize. You'll actually hear it transfer chambers/equalize when you fill it 50% and compress the shock.

The shock will lose air over time and use. I usually check sag before almost every ride and refill as necessary.

Posted: Nov 26, 2020 at 9:35 Quote
iliveonnitro wrote:
felix571 wrote:
iliveonnitro wrote:

Yes, all shocks with the extra chamber will need to equalize. You'll actually hear it transfer chambers/equalize when you fill it 50% and compress the shock.

The shock will lose air over time and use. I usually check sag before almost every ride and refill as necessary.

Just came home from a 30 minute ride after filling the damper with air the way you told me. This damn damper is losing air as he did before Rockshox "repaired" it. Sadly the cycling method is not the solution here.

I think that this damper has some other issues, which can not be fixed by putting in new sealings and stuff. Hopefully I can get a new one this time.

Owning this bike for 60 days and was riding it for maybe 3 days. In addition the hours and kilometres killed while driving to the dealer.

Mitch, how is the feedback from the field in common for the new thru-shaft?

Posted: Nov 26, 2020 at 10:08 Quote
felix571 wrote:
Just came home from a 30 minute ride after filling the damper with air the way you told me. This damn damper is losing air as he did before Rockshox "repaired" it. Sadly the cycling method is not the solution here.

I think that this damper has some other issues, which can not be fixed by putting in new sealings and stuff. Hopefully I can get a new one this time.

Are you sure you’re not just losing air when disconnecting the shock pump? I use the fox digital pump and lose about 10psi when I disconnect from the shock. For example if I pump to 205 and disconnect, I reconnect the pump and it reads 195.

I pump it 10psi higher than my preferred setting to account for this. Same with the fork but it only loses ~1.5psi.

Posted: Nov 26, 2020 at 10:20 Quote
felix571 wrote:

Owning this bike for 60 days and was riding it for maybe 3 days. In addition the hours and kilometres killed while driving to the dealer.

Sounds like a bad shock. Fox made the original thru shaft design in 2017, and trek signed an exclusivity agreement with both RS and Fox for some period of time. Forgot how long. Looks like you got a manufacturer defect this time.

WY228 wrote:
felix571 wrote:

Are you sure you’re not just losing air when disconnecting the shock pump? I use the fox digital pump and lose about 10psi when I disconnect from the shock. For example if I pump to 205 and disconnect, I reconnect the pump and it reads 195.

I pump it 10psi higher than my preferred setting to account for this.

Most is lost when connecting the pump, not when disconnecting it. When disconnecting, the pressurized air in the pump's hose is escaping, but the Schrader valve closes/seals pretty quick. When you connect the pump, it loses air to pressurize the pump. You're likely over inflating by 10psi, which is an amount most people can't discern, anyway. Also, your pump's gauge isn't terribly accurate, but it's probably repeatable as long as you keep using the same one.

Posted: Nov 26, 2020 at 10:29 Quote
iliveonnitro wrote:
Most is lost when connecting the pump, not when disconnecting it. When disconnecting, the pressurized air in the pump's hose is escaping, but the Schrader valve closes/seals pretty quick. When you connect the pump, it loses air to pressurize the pump. You're likely over inflating by 10psi, which is an amount most people can't discern, anyway. Also, your pump's gauge isn't terribly accurate, but it's probably repeatable as long as you keep using the same one.

That makes sense. I always pump to my usual 205 regardless and don’t normally reconnect the pump to read. It’s usually around 195 when I first connect before a ride unless it’s been sitting and lost a little air. This method just works for me, I’m sure if I changed pumps I’d have to adjust.

Posted: Nov 26, 2020 at 13:37 Quote
WY228 wrote:
felix571 wrote:

I pump it 10psi higher than my preferred setting to account for this. Same with the fork but it only loses ~1.5psi.

Yes - I´m sure that the shock is losing air while riding. The first 10 minutes all is fine, but then I start to recognize that the damper is getting softer. At the end (after 20-25 minutes) I can hit the end of the shock with only slamming my body weight in the bike. I don´t even have to jump or drop then.

Posted: Nov 26, 2020 at 13:41 Quote
iliveonnitro wrote:
felix571 wrote:

Sounds like a bad shock. Fox made the original thru shaft design in 2017, and trek signed an exclusivity agreement with both RS and Fox for some period of time. Forgot how long. Looks like you got a manufacturer defect this time.

I think, that the shock is broken in any way - hope that Rockshox does not try to fix it again, they should just replace it. I´m getting really frustrated with my new bike..

Meanwhile I´m looking at the Super Deluxe Coil Ultimate: no air, no problems

Posted: Nov 26, 2020 at 14:49 Quote
Anyone had an issue with the seat not being 100% secure? Everything is tightened up but it moves ever so slightly from side to side. Trying to work out if it's an issue or something I've missed.

Posted: Nov 26, 2020 at 14:55 Quote
Alandarfi wrote:
Anyone had an issue with the seat not being 100% secure? Everything is tightened up but it moves ever so slightly from side to side. Trying to work out if it's an issue or something I've missed.
It's the dropper post and most do it. dont worry.

Posted: Nov 26, 2020 at 18:34 Quote
felix571 wrote:
iliveonnitro wrote:
felix571 wrote:

I think, that the shock is broken in any way - hope that Rockshox does not try to fix it again, they should just replace it. I´m getting really frustrated with my new bike..

I do have to pump my shock up by 30/40psi before each ride which is a bit drastic in my opinion. Below are the steps I took to help get it set up but am hoping volume spacers help me out.

Step 1- Empty all air out.
Step 2- fill to 50psi
STEP 3- remove shock pump and cycle (slowly compress Suspension a couple of times)
Step 4- fill to 100psi and then repeat step 3
Step 5- fill to 150psi and then repeat step 3
Step 6- fill to 200psi and then repeat step 3
Step 7- fill to 230psi and then repeat step 3
Step 8- cycle shock and bunny hop about/ jump it then bring back up to 230psi if it dropped.

This has kinda worked for me, I hope it helps if you are running into issues.

Posted: Nov 26, 2020 at 18:34 Quote
felix571 wrote:
iliveonnitro wrote:
felix571 wrote:

100% recommend going coil.

Posted: Nov 26, 2020 at 23:01 Quote
mtbtrekracer wrote:
Alandarfi wrote:
It's the dropper post and most do it. dont worry.

Cheers! Good to know.

Posted: Nov 27, 2020 at 5:53 Quote
iliveonnitro wrote:
felix571 wrote:
iliveonnitro wrote:

100% recommend going coil.

You already did that with your slash?

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006266
Mobile Version of Website