Shock recommendation for trance 27.5

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Shock recommendation for trance 27.5
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Feb 23, 2020 at 9:35 Quote
Hey all,

I have an '18 giant trance with a DVO diamond up front and a fox float dps out back. Had my heart set on getting a DVO topaz to match because the diamond is so amazing, but getting sticker shock at the topaz price $500. Is there something comparable out there I could snag cheaper, say a rockshox super deluxe?

Riding style: mostly trail and xc, lots of fire road climbs and fast descents locally. Overbuilding the trance for when I travel to gnarlier terrain as I love jumping (Moto background) and tech stuff, rocks, etc.; Can only afford one bike so it's gotta be an all-rounder. Left the DVO at 170mm travel on local bike shops recommendation and don't mind weight, care more about durability and downhill performance.

Why I want to replace the fox float: the thing just won't work for me. Tried volume spacers. Tried more pressure. Played with clickers endlessly. I have to leave it on medium to get any support out of it at all and it still rides low in the travel, I bottom it all the time, and it doesn't keep up with the fork's awesome suppleness and quick rebound when charging through rough stuff.

I weigh 165 kitted out and am on a medium frame at 5 7. Just want a shock that doesn't always feel like it's halfway through the stroke even at 200+ psi.

If I'm just being a dummy and the float is working well for you, please tell me how to stop being a dummy. Otherwise would love recs on shocks that will perform comparably to a topaz that I might be able to score used for $300ish.

Thanks for any help!

Posted: Feb 23, 2020 at 19:22 Quote
I went from a dps to a dpx2 and the difference is noticable. Much better support with the dpx2, more control. I leave mine on medium setting all the time. Riding a Hightower LT. May be an option.

Posted: Feb 23, 2020 at 21:14 Quote
Kinda put off on fox after this experience with the float but thanks, I'll consider it.

The DVO fork is so damn good that I really want to stick to DVO, but damn, $500. Can't find em used ever either.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.004464
Mobile Version of Website