How long do cushcore last ?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
How long do cushcore last ?
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Jun 23, 2022 at 9:18 Quote
I'll probably stick with CC because I'm old and stubborn.
And it's the low pressures COMBINED with the crazy sidewall support that I'm after.
Rear tire: 22psi (I'm 175 fully clothed) in the rear and never burping the tire in the corners is muy bueno for me.

I really think, if anything, just having known that once the CC's are loose on the rim that they need to be replaced would have made my last 1.5 years of working with them much lovelier.

My buddy who's worked in a bike shop for 10 years also said that the word in the shop is that they have a 8-10 month lifespan with regular use. And maybe that's locally too (North Shore here in Vancouver)

But then I've also heard of people using them for several years Frown

And maybe this is just when paired up with my Stans Flow MKIII rims? Who knows.
But for me, I'll conclude that I get 8-10 months out of a Cush Core before having to replace it.

And I'm a decent rider. I traditionally placed in the 30-45th percentile in basically every race I've been in. With a few outliers.

O+
Posted: Jun 23, 2022 at 9:43 Quote
I think out of all the insert reviews that I've read so far, I'd like to try out Rimpact Pro's next. The reams of sidewall support at low pressures is what I'm after. And they've also got a non-Newtonian/viscoelastic layer on it that hardens on impact to protect your rim, which seems pretty sick. Bro.

I was reading some article yesterday about what casing (99% Maxxis in whatever forum it was) people were running and the OP was asking if they should run CC or DH casing and it was crazy how post after post was people running DD or DH casings WITH Cush Core front and rear or just rear. After reading it I was thinking that if someone new the MTB were to read it they'd leave thinking there's something intrinsically wrong with existing MTB tires.

O+
Posted: Jun 23, 2022 at 9:44 Quote
This third post is just so I can see my beautiful face three times in a row at the top of a post.

Posted: Jun 23, 2022 at 11:14 Quote
Yep.. all good points. I'm pretty happy with the support Tannus provides. Also a racer as well... typically top 1/3 of the "masters" class, on a good day, haha. I'm a little heavier (185) and typically run 24 rear. I'm over on the Island, and my local (Hartland in Victoria) is similar to the north shore in that you're mostly riding on rock vs dirt. But ya, also a very firm believer in riding what feels good to you personally and what is predictable. So many great tires/inserts and combos available these days... but your set-up being predictable is the most important.

I've gravitated to Tannus just so I don't have to buy new CushCore every year... also liking how much lighter it is. Anyway... take care!

Posted: Jun 23, 2022 at 14:10 Quote
Depends how low a psi are we talking and on what rim width...you could run as low a pressure as you want really with Tannus and you will get squirm from the tread before the sidewalls lose structure...I've tried as low as 10 psi with Tannus and what becomes obvious is the squirm from the tread not the sidewalls, Cushcore would have exactly the same issue as neither push against the tread only the sides so ultimately how low pressures you can run doesn't really matter with either insert, it's mostly going to come down to how squirmy a tread your tyres have, that's going to be the weakest link in the chain. If you run domewhat sensible pressures Tannus will offer more sidewall support than you will ever need, you should be able to run sub 20s comfortably.

O+ FL
Posted: Jun 24, 2022 at 19:31 Quote
Both guys I know that have run Tannus gave up on them. One was the tubeless version and the other was with a tube. One of them is fast and just always breaking something, the other is pretty damn quick and almost never breaks anything and usually runs CC pro.

Personally I’ve tried CC pro and didn’t care for it. I’m currently trying out the Vittoria Airliner, it does nothing for sidewall support but I’m using it to try to save my rear rim from getting too beat up. So far it’s been great, I just put a new tire on and it still looked brand new.

Find whatever that works for you and check your pressures before every ride.

O+
Posted: Jun 29, 2022 at 6:44 Quote
Run Rimpact Pros front and rear and theyve been brilliant. Absolute bar steward to get tyres on with them, but thats par for the course with inserts anyway.

O+
Posted: Jul 19, 2022 at 15:03 Quote
I have found that I'm able to run 20's and sub 20's comfortably with both CC and Tannus.
My old pressured used to be 18 front and 20-ish rear.
It's cool and all being able to run such low pressures like people say, but I found that I was losing a lot of speed due to increase in rolling resistance. My buddies would be catching me on the straights when we were both not pedaling and off the brakes.
I have since upped pressures and still benefit from the increased traction and extra cushioning on hard bottom outs/etc.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011400
Mobile Version of Website