Ripmo AF versus Commencal Meta TR SX 2020

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Ripmo AF versus Commencal Meta TR SX 2020
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Feb 26, 2020 at 11:58 Quote
Looking to buy an Ibis Ripmo aluminum frame with the GX build OR a Commencal Meta TR SX aluminum frame 2020. I need an all around bike that can climb, is a good peddler, but can also bomb through rough technical sections with rocks and roots. My rides typically take anywhere from 2-3.5 hours and include all of the above but don't do any type of shuttling . Please give me your thoughts.

Posted: Feb 26, 2020 at 16:40 Quote
EpicCamber wrote:
Looking to buy an Ibis Ripmo aluminum frame with the GX build OR a Commencal Meta TR SX aluminum frame 2020. I need an all around bike that can climb, is a good peddler, but can also bomb through rough technical sections with rocks and roots. My rides typically take anywhere from 2-3.5 hours and include all of the above but don't do any type of shuttling . Please give me your thoughts.

If I were to choose between the two, I would pick the Ripmo. First of all it uses a more effiecient suspension design, a DW Link which is designed around the 147 mm of travel unlike the Meta TR SX which is just an over shocked Meta TR. The Meta TR is also on the more linear side of suspension designs and when paired with a coil shock, the suspension will constantly dive deeper in the travel when pushing hard. On the side note, two of my friends own a Commencal and both of them have developed issues coming from the frame and the design of the frame. My friends Commencal Meta V3 SX has had a chain stay break twice and he isn't heavy. My friends 2019 Meta 29er has had issues with the rear tire rubbing against the seat stay when bottoming out.

Posted: Feb 27, 2020 at 5:48 Quote
ZoneCheck wrote:
EpicCamber wrote:

If I were to choose between the two, I would pick the Ripmo. First of all it uses a more effiecient suspension design, a DW Link which is designed around the 147 mm of travel unlike the Meta TR SX which is just an over shocked Meta TR. The Meta TR is also on the more linear side of suspension designs and when paired with a coil shock, the suspension will constantly dive deeper in the travel when pushing hard. On the side note, two of my friends own a Commencal and both of them have developed issues coming from the frame and the design of the frame. My friends Commencal Meta V3 SX has had a chain stay break twice and he isn't heavy. My friends 2019 Meta 29er has had issues with the rear tire rubbing against the seat stay when bottoming out.

Thanks for the info, its kind of disheartening because I really want to support the direct to buyer model that Commencal uses.

O+
Posted: Feb 27, 2020 at 12:35 Quote
Between those two, I'd take the Ripmo AF all day long. DW link is vastly superior to Horst in terms of pedaling performance, and the rest of the build packages are basically equal. That, and the aesthetic on the Ripmo is just straight up better.

Another idea here: the Jeffsy Pro 29 is in your same category, is a direct to consumer model, will be in stock in 2 weeks, and offers an amazing build for the same amount of money as the Meta TR and the Ripmo AF, and weighs considerably less than either of those bikes (like 3 lbs, man). I mean, If you're not into carbon (which based on your price range and bike selection, you might not be), then it probably isn't for you. But the latest Jeffsy offers an amazingly dynamic ride, plenty of capability downhill, and is easily the best pedaling Horst link bike I've ridden. Highly recommend.

But between the two you originally considered.....Ibis for the win.

Posted: Feb 29, 2020 at 22:10 Quote
zsandstrom wrote:
Between those two, I'd take the Ripmo AF all day long. DW link is vastly superior to Horst in terms of pedaling performance, and the rest of the build packages are basically equal. That, and the aesthetic on the Ripmo is just straight up better.

Another idea here: the Jeffsy Pro 29 is in your same category, is a direct to consumer model, will be in stock in 2 weeks, and offers an amazing build for the same amount of money as the Meta TR and the Ripmo AF, and weighs considerably less than either of those bikes (like 3 lbs, man). I mean, If you're not into carbon (which based on your price range and bike selection, you might not be), then it probably isn't for you. But the latest Jeffsy offers an amazingly dynamic ride, plenty of capability downhill, and is easily the best pedaling Horst link bike I've ridden. Highly recommend.

I’m considering the ripmo AF (NX) and the Jeffsy (Comp) 29. Any recommendation there?

Posted: Apr 16, 2020 at 8:31 Quote
Do you think the Jeffsy you recommended will pedal better or the same as the Ripmo? I'm considering it but just want to hear more of your thoughts because I'm not up to speed on a lot of this stuff and I don't have any access to these bikes.
I dont mind that the Jeffsy is carbon, I've stayed away from carbon just to keep cost down. But, the Jeffsy costs less than the Ripmo and weighs less so its definitely in the running. Does the Jeffsy cost less because the build (fork, shock, brakes, etc) not as good as the Ripmo's or is the savings due to the consumer direct model? Enlighten me, Obi-an...

zsandstrom wrote:

O+
Posted: Sep 27, 2020 at 2:56 Quote
Hey, did you end up choosing between these two (Ripmo vs Jeffsy) as I'm in the exact same boat and unsure. Sure I'd be happy with either but keen on which way you went, why and your initial impressions.

Posted: Oct 1, 2020 at 11:40 Quote
Well, I originally went with the Ripmo because I thought it got better reviews, especially from former PB editor Richard Cunningham and I thought the Ripmo's suspension was more efficient and the bike would pedal better. I do a lot of climbing and pefdalling so thats important for me. So, I ordered one in April and it was set to arrive in August. But, I always liked to Meta's looks more, in fact I think the Ripmo is an ugly bike. I hate the top tube, its fat, curvy and just dumb looking! I also didnt like the polished aluminum finish of the frame. Overall, the appearance of the Ripmo doesnt inspire me to ride, but the Meta does and so I changed my decision, cancelled the Ripmo and pre-ordered a Meta. So, in a way, I based some of it on looks and maybe that was a dumb thing to do but, I knew that both would ride very similar because the geo is almost the same. I thought, why not let appearance play a role in my decision? Another important reason though is that I really like the direct to consumer model that Commencal uses and so I wanted to support that.
Let me know your thoughts and what you decide.

O+ FL
Posted: Oct 2, 2020 at 8:52 Quote
EpicCamber wrote:
Well, I originally went with the Ripmo because I thought it got better reviews, especially from former PB editor Richard Cunningham and I thought the Ripmo's suspension was more efficient and the bike would pedal better. I do a lot of climbing and pefdalling so thats important for me. So, I ordered one in April and it was set to arrive in August. But, I always liked to Meta's looks more, in fact I think the Ripmo is an ugly bike. I hate the top tube, its fat, curvy and just dumb looking! I also didnt like the polished aluminum finish of the frame. Overall, the appearance of the Ripmo doesnt inspire me to ride, but the Meta does and so I changed my decision, cancelled the Ripmo and pre-ordered a Meta. So, in a way, I based some of it on looks and maybe that was a dumb thing to do but, I knew that both would ride very similar because the geo is almost the same. I thought, why not let appearance play a role in my decision? Another important reason though is that I really like the direct to consumer model that Commencal uses and so I wanted to support that.
Let me know your thoughts and what you decide.

If the look and aesthetic of a bike is something that fires you up or gives you pause, then it’s going to play into your mental state when you grab the bike to ride it.

I’m glad you went with your heart and grabbed a meta. I’ve been tempted to buy one myself. Have you gotten out on it much? What are your thoughts on your bike?

Posted: Oct 5, 2020 at 7:35 Quote
It hasn't arrived yet. It's scheduled to arrive in December.

Posted: Mar 6, 2021 at 17:19 Quote
Hey how is the commencal meta tr?
I am thinking about getting a new bike and the ripmo has great reviews.
I tried one and it was fine but didn’t blow me away.
I have always liked the looks of commencal bikes but never seen one in person.

Posted: Mar 9, 2021 at 7:05 Quote
I had my first ride on it, 2021 Meta TR, a few days ago and I loved it. Its such a huge step up from my current bike, both in terms of the geometry and the spec, specifically the suspension. It climbed better than my 2016 Specialized Camber and was obviously much much better in flowy downhills as well as technical rocky downhills. Now I know what plush means! I can't compare it with a Ripmo because I've never ridden one even though I almost bought one based on reviews but backed out at the last minute because I hated the looks of it and wanted to support a direct to consumer model. Plus, I loved the look of the Meta. If you can test ride one, definitely do it, try and find one of Commencal's demo sites, I know there is one down in South Carolina. Where do you live, I'm in south central PA.

haji1974 wrote:
Hey how is the commencal meta tr?
I am thinking about getting a new bike and the ripmo has great reviews.
I tried one and it was fine but didn’t blow me away.
I have always liked the looks of commencal bikes but never seen one in person.

FL
Posted: Mar 9, 2021 at 14:07 Quote
I ride a horse link Rocky Mountain altitude and just recently rented a Ripmo AF. I am highly considering selling the RM for a Ripmo AF. It is an incredible bike and the DVO suspension was superb. It pedaled like a hardtail, was plush down low on the small stuff, and had incredible mid stroke support and ramp out characteristics.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011917
Mobile Version of Website