Coil shock on hawk hill/multiTrac system?

PB Forum :: Marin Bikes
Coil shock on hawk hill/multiTrac system?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Feb 27, 2020 at 17:05 Quote
Ive got a 2018 hawk hill and an I’m looking into upgrading the shock. I’ve done my research and I’d like to put a coil on, I just have heard that if a frame’s suspension isn’t progressive enough, the linear coil will blow through the travel on bigger hits. I know the MultiTrac system is progressive, I just didn’t know if it’s progressive enough. I emailed Marin about this and they responded saying it would be fine, I just want some firsthand experience. So if any of you have ridden a coil shock on a hawk hill or any MultiTrac bike, let me know how it is.

Posted: Mar 29, 2020 at 0:33 Quote
Marininmaine wrote:
Ive got a 2018 hawk hill and an I’m looking into upgrading the shock. I’ve done my research and I’d like to put a coil on, I just have heard that if a frame’s suspension isn’t progressive enough, the linear coil will blow through the travel on bigger hits. I know the MultiTrac system is progressive, I just didn’t know if it’s progressive enough. I emailed Marin about this and they responded saying it would be fine, I just want some firsthand experience. So if any of you have ridden a coil shock on a hawk hill or any MultiTrac bike, let me know how it is.

No first hand experience but check out Martha Gill on Insta/Facebook. Sponsored Marin rider and she uses coil on her Hawk Hill.

Posted: Mar 29, 2020 at 11:40 Quote
joshuaphillips wrote:
Marininmaine wrote:

No first hand experience but check out Martha Gill on Insta/Facebook. Sponsored Marin rider and she uses coil on her Hawk Hill.
She runs the coil on her alpine trail, and a DPS (air) on her hawk hill. It's the same suspension design though so thanks!

Posted: Mar 29, 2020 at 21:04 Quote
Marininmaine wrote:
joshuaphillips wrote:
Marininmaine wrote:

She runs the coil on her alpine trail, and a DPS (air) on her hawk hill. It's the same suspension design though so thanks!

Ahh my bad, didn't look close enough. Have you made the upgrade to yours yet? Interested to hear what you think...

Posted: Mar 30, 2020 at 6:12 Quote
joshuaphillips wrote:
Marininmaine wrote:
joshuaphillips wrote:

Ahh my bad, didn't look close enough. Have you made the upgrade to yours yet? Interested to hear what you think...
I've ordered a marzocchi bomber cr, but it's on back order until mid April so I'll for sure let you know when I get to ride it.

Posted: Apr 1, 2020 at 15:53 Quote
joshuaphillips wrote:
Marininmaine wrote:
joshuaphillips wrote:

Update on the coil: Turns out it wasn't out of stock till mid April, as it shipped the day after I ordered it, and was at my door the day after that (today). I've only had it for a day and gotten one ride on it, but so far it's awesome. everything they say about a coil is true. sections of trail that are usually bumpy steep and sketchy were smoothed way out. Even climbing it was noticeable how little I felt roots compared to my previous lower end air can. This might be because the spring I bought was too heavy, which I doubt as the off the top was superb, but it actually felt more supportive in the mid stroke than my old shock. Going off 4+ foot drops it didn't feel at all like it was bottoming out more than usual or at all really, and while some people complain about losing pop with a coil, I felt that the pop never left. Over all I'm very very happy with my new shock and totally recommend to anyone considering.

Posted: Apr 1, 2020 at 18:30 Quote
joshuaphillips wrote:
Marininmaine wrote:
joshuaphillips wrote:

I've got a Cane Creek DB inline coil on my Marin Hawkhill (2017, same as "marininmaine") and it sends. I grab the marin whenever I wanna goof around and boost some jumps, the coil really beefs up the bike, and I would 10/10 recommend it to anyone on the hawkhill/riftzone. Just a weight consideration, i would run a 500lb coil if you're 165+lbs and the 450 for 145-165lbs. As for bottom outs, it has a small ramp at the end of the travel and tbh i haven't had many bottom outs. nothing other than stuff i would expect to bottom out on. I hit a few 10-12 ft drops on this setup and it rides perfect, its still fairly poppy and still very playful, you just get that sweet bonus of the coil tracking the ground super well.

Posted: Apr 4, 2020 at 16:32 Quote
Greetings. Same bike here. 2017 Hawkhill small frame. Almost everything switched out except for the stock rear shock. Never ran a coil before. All the feedback here sounds like it was well thought out. May I ask where is the best place to purchase ? And do I need extra hardware to install ? Thanks and look forward to hear from you all. Cheers JD

Posted: Apr 4, 2020 at 20:32 Quote
GreenMantis-2018 wrote:
Greetings. Same bike here. 2017 Hawkhill small frame. Almost everything switched out except for the stock rear shock. Never ran a coil before. All the feedback here sounds like it was well thought out. May I ask where is the best place to purchase ? And do I need extra hardware to install ? Thanks and look forward to hear from you all. Cheers JD
I would say that where you want to buy it really doesn't matter that much, as long as you're confident the site's legitimate.
I bought mine (a marzocchi bomber cr) from The Lost co, but I was also considering places like Jenson and Worldwide Cyclery. As far as mounting hardware, it depends on what shock you get, but I had to buy new eyelet reducers, as the ones that came on my shock were too wide (in length, not diameter) to work with my hardware and frame. I was still able to mount it on my bike, just without the proper spacers. It's an easy $6 fix, or if you wanted to pop the reducers from the original shock onto the new shock, you could do that too. Mine were a little shot, so that's why I bought new ones. Long story short, yes, your current mounting hardware should work.

Posted: Apr 5, 2020 at 12:27 Quote
GreenMantis-2018 wrote:
Greetings. Same bike here. 2017 Hawkhill small frame. Almost everything switched out except for the stock rear shock. Never ran a coil before. All the feedback here sounds like it was well thought out. May
I ask where is the best place to purchase ? And do I need extra hardware to install ? Thanks and look forward to hear from you all. Cheers JD
I got my Coil from Worldwide Cyclery, As far I know, you can get the Marzocchi bomber Cr From WWC or Jenson as well as the Cane Creek DB Inline coil. The Bomber Cr has a piggyback so it'll be better if you intend on hitting some reallllly long downhills, but in my experience my cane creek db coil has stood up to some 15 minute aggressive descents. As for the mounting hardware i got a new set of them off WWC(worldwide cyclery) Can'e seem to find the one I got, But just do some measuring with a caliper and it should be the right size.
Haha as for the "well thought out" aspect, I actually was recommended to not run a coil. All my emails to marin regarding putting a coil on (as well as putting a 203mm rear rotor) were all ignored. Turns out it works waaaay better than an air shock. Basically I got sick of blowing up air shocks.....Yeah, went through the stock x-fusion shock as well as a canecreek db inline air that literally exploded halfway down a run. Nothing wrong with the cane creek air shocks, but the coils just take extreme abuse way better.
I would get the Bomber CR if you don't care too much about the adjustments (it has rebound and compression adjustments) I only got the Cane Creek Db Inline coil cuz my XS frame wouldn't fit a shock with a piggy back. But the Inline coil has a crazy amount of settings to mess with (High speed Compression, Low speed Compression, High speed Rebound, Low speed Rebound and a climb switch) def a bit confusing, but really helps dial the rear shock if you're into that kinda thing.
Cheers man! Feel free to ask more questions and tell us what you get!

Brandon

Posted: Apr 6, 2020 at 16:37 Quote
Great feedback ! The Marzocchi Bomber. Did you stay the same 190x50 ? Or..? I’m like 160 lbs so 450 lbs spring ? Thanks guys !

Posted: Apr 6, 2020 at 21:36 Quote
GreenMantis-2018 wrote:
Great feedback ! The Marzocchi Bomber. Did you stay the same 190x50 ? Or..? I’m like 160 lbs so 450 lbs spring ? Thanks guys !
190x51 or 190x50. Would 100% not recommend going to a larger shock. I bent one of my shock mounting bolts like that. as for the coil weight, i think 450 will be a fair fit, it may be a tad on the softer side, so more grip, but i don't think you'll need a 500 unless you're bottoming out like crazy on flat stuff and bunnyhops. You should be using 75-80% of the travel pressing the bike into the ground(or less if preferred like that)

Posted: Apr 7, 2020 at 5:57 Quote
GreenMantis-2018 wrote:
yeah I weigh 140 and bought a 400 lbs spring initially, but have since ordered a 350 lbs spring, as I think I'm not getting the full sensitivity I could. All the calculators rounded to 350, but I had heard from multiple sources that the spring calculators gave them were too light and they went up 50 lbs. I tried to avoid that by going up 50 lbs in the first place, but I don't think it worked. If you're willing to spend a little more cash, I would start with the suggested weight with a standard coil, and if you feel the off the top is good but you're bottoming out a lot, invest in a progressive wound spring by Cane Creek or MRP instead of going up spring rate. In the instance of a 400 lbs spring, they are the equivalent of a 400 lbs spring at 25% of travel, and a 488 lbs spring at 75% of travel.

Posted: Apr 10, 2020 at 19:43 Quote
Anyone here running a coil on the Alpine Trail? I think that might be my first upgrade.

Posted: Apr 11, 2020 at 0:10 Quote
tacosareawesome wrote:
Anyone here running a coil on the Alpine Trail? I think that might be my first upgrade.
Should run fine

• Previous Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009216
Mobile Version of Website