2020 Stumpjumper sizing, and converting from standard to ST...

PB Forum :: Specialized
2020 Stumpjumper sizing, and converting from standard to ST...
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Feb 28, 2020 at 9:21 Quote
So I have an incredibly fortunate "problem." I actually won a 2020 Stumpjumper in a raffle! The spec includes a 150mm Pike Ultimate and the standard 140mm rear triangle with a coil shock.

First question has to do with sizing. I'm generally toward the long leg/short torso end of things, at 6'2" with a 34-35" cycling inseam. The bike is a L, so I'm just off the top of the height range for L and at the low end of XL. I'm thinking that as a daily trail ripper/fun bike this will probably be OK, but I'd be curious to know what other taller guys are riding size-wise. I'm reassured that the short reach is the same as my old Evil Insurgent (which I loved) and ETT is the same as my current bike, but I'm curious.

Also, since I've been eyeing a short-travel 29er for a next bike, I looked at the ST and found that if I drop the travel on the fork to 130 and switch out shock and yoke in back I could basically make a ST out of it, which would also add some reach and give me less overlap with my current ride. Has anyone done the conversion? How critical is it to find a custom-tuned shock for the ST?

I've never been a Specialized owner but I'm feeling incredibly stoked and fortunate to have won one. I'm sure my sizing question will be answered when I get it out for a couple rides but like any impatient kid waiting for a new toy I need to obsess a bit. Haha.

O+
Posted: Mar 5, 2020 at 7:20 Quote
I'm about the same size. I can ride either size. I do find the XL to be more comfortable. But I did ride a L for a year. I didn't have any problems with the L...but the XL was just better.
I would have never moved to the XL if I hadn't ridden one. Point is, will be happy on the L. If you ever want to replace it, demo an XL and see.

ST vs standard stumpy. Unless you want to do a full rebuild to a more XC style layout. I don't think it's worth it. The bike ends up climbing about the same. Now grated you won the bike, so that would be your only investment maybe not so bad. But don't expect the ride experience to change much.

Posted: Mar 6, 2020 at 6:41 Quote
Look at the positives of it being just a Large! It’ll be super nimble and quick. Fast to toss around the trail! A lot of people size down to get a quicker reacting and poppier feeling bike. Add the shorter travel setup like your talking and I bet you’d be popping off every nubb’n and root on the trail. Sounds like wayyyy too much fun to me!

O+
Posted: Mar 21, 2020 at 11:31 Quote
So I got the large and converted it to ST.... and I love it. Doesn’t feel short, but the “center” of the bike is definitely further toward the BB than the Yeti, but damn, is it a fun bike. Totally perfect for the XC/light trail/smaller jump line riding I do on most of my after work rides.

The Stumpy ST rips.

O+
Posted: Mar 21, 2020 at 11:31 Quote
Ohiomtbwannab wrote:
Look at the positives of it being just a Large! It’ll be super nimble and quick. Fast to toss around the trail! A lot of people size down to get a quicker reacting and poppier feeling bike. Add the shorter travel setup like your talking and I bet you’d be popping off every nubb’n and root on the trail. Sounds like wayyyy too much fun to me!

Your prediction is spot-on, and the bike doesn’t really even feel small.

Posted: Mar 22, 2020 at 19:59 Quote
DrPete wrote:
Ohiomtbwannab wrote:

Your prediction is spot-on, and the bike doesn’t really even feel small.

Heck yeh bro. Have fun on it and enjoy the different style of riding it affords you!

O+
Posted: Mar 23, 2020 at 12:59 Quote
I'm trying to go the other direction, did you already get rid of your old yoke?

O+
Posted: Mar 23, 2020 at 13:11 Quote
du88 wrote:
I'm trying to go the other direction, did you already get rid of your old yoke?

Nope. Still have it, along with a super deluxe ultimate coil shock... shoot me a PM.

Posted: May 11, 2020 at 7:43 Quote
DrPete wrote:
So I got the large and converted it to ST.... and I love it. Doesn’t feel short, but the “center” of the bike is definitely further toward the BB than the Yeti, but damn, is it a fun bike. Totally perfect for the XC/light trail/smaller jump line riding I do on most of my after work rides.

The Stumpy ST rips.

Would you mind sharing the part numbers of the parts you bought to convert it over, Im thinking of doing the same. What fork did you end up going with?

O+
Posted: May 31, 2020 at 13:00 Quote
mountbkr wrote:
DrPete wrote:

The Stumpy ST rips.

Would you mind sharing the part numbers of the parts you bought to convert it over, Im thinking of doing the same. What fork did you end up going with?

Fork is a Pike Ultimate, so I just dropped the travel by swapping out the air shaft.

The new shock yoke is here: https://www.amaincycling.com/specialized-2019-sj-trail-fsr-j1115-118mm-length-extension-s186300002/p1142936

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012167
Mobile Version of Website