Keep or sell non ridden vintage bikes?

PB Forum :: Vintage and Fixed Gear Bikes
Keep or sell non ridden vintage bikes?
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Message
O+
Posted: Mar 2, 2020 at 7:57 Quote
I have two bikes I kept more for sentimental resaons than logical reasons. A Bontrager race that was the last bike I built after working in bike shops for 15 years. Bought it new in 97 as a left over of the last Santa Cruz built bikes. I built it in winter of 98 rode it till 01. Pretty much has hung on a hook in my bike shed of 3 different houses since. Next bike is a 04 SC Heckler. Nothing special, just lots memories of epic rides, places and friends on it. It's replacement has come and gone a couple of times but it has lived next to the bontrager pretty much full time since '10. Both get out once a year and they get put back away. I am thinking about buying a new trail bke this year. But I when I go to my bike storage I look at my old bikes and I am wondering why am I keeping them. Any one else run into this? What did you do?

Posted: Mar 2, 2020 at 10:38 Quote
I struggle with the same thing, unless it's something really special old bikes don't hold much value so they stay in storage.

O+
Posted: Mar 2, 2020 at 12:10 Quote
baulz wrote:
I struggle with the same thing, unless it's something really special old bikes don't hold much value so they stay in storage.

Yeah they aren't worth anything, maybe the Bontrager will get something. I am starting to wonder if I if it is better to get them to so someone who would want to use them than to let them just collect dust, But then again no one may want them. If I had a man cave or killer garage I would hang them as wall art, but don't. I have room to hang them with my ridden bikes, but no good display area.

Posted: Mar 2, 2020 at 23:31 Quote
Agreed. If you have room, hang em up. They aren't going to get any less valuable. If you don't have room & they have to go parting out can be the most lucrative. Depending on the parts sometimes you can double-triple your money compared to the whole bike at once.

That being said I've got 2 old bikes I'll keep forever. I could use the room for sure, but if I'm being honest I'd just fill it with more bikes eventually.

O+
Posted: Mar 3, 2020 at 6:57 Quote
Good point, I'll look at those empty hooks and justify I need fill as they look lonely!

O+
Posted: Mar 3, 2020 at 7:31 Quote
I don't know if you have any interest in gravel riding and don't have a gravel bike but old school mtbs are make reasonable gravel bikes for not much money. I built one up out of an old 1991 Schwinn High Plains. Threw some fast rolling tires and changed the stem around to fit drop bars with the Tektro brake levers that work with V-brakes. Could be a use for the old Bontrager.

O+
Posted: Mar 3, 2020 at 7:51 Quote
thats pretty much what i use it for now. Just with out the drop bars and not very often. I should find a 1" threadless rigid fork for it but I also should not be spending anymore money on it.

O+
Posted: Mar 3, 2020 at 11:18 Quote
ExShopRat wrote:
thats pretty much what i use it for now. Just with out the drop bars and not very often. I should find a 1" threadless rigid fork for it but I also should not be spending anymore money on it.

Assuming it isn't disc brake. https://www.treefortbikes.com/Dimension-26-Mountain-Fork-1-Threadless-260mm?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&adpos=&scid=scplp333222368337&sc_intid=333222368337&gclid=CjwKCAiAnfjyBRBxEiwA-EECLFQCr3eY73MXP91Ns5zd50LWuxFOVgCRAwAg0QhZuSr9bKdyjKqtuRoCw9AQAvD_BwE

Posted: Mar 3, 2020 at 11:37 Quote
There will come a time when we all die and someone will unsentimentally go through our prized possessions, discarding them as the objectively useless trinkets they are. Part with these things on your own terms and do it now. Shed the dead weight from your life; you'll still have the memories.

O+
Posted: Mar 3, 2020 at 14:32 Quote
So the tip I'm hearing is sell my old stuff and fill it with more new stuff before I die


(I may not be doing this right) Wink

Posted: Mar 3, 2020 at 14:37 Quote
That's close enough tup

O+
Posted: Mar 3, 2020 at 14:39 Quote
93EXCivic wrote:
ExShopRat wrote:
thats pretty much what i use it for now. Just with out the drop bars and not very often. I should find a 1" threadless rigid fork for it but I also should not be spending anymore money on it.

Assuming it isn't disc brake. https://www.treefortbikes.com/Dimension-26-Mountain-Fork-1-Threadless-260mm?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&adpos=&scid=scplp333222368337&sc_intid=333222368337&gclid=CjwKCAiAnfjyBRBxEiwA-EECLFQCr3eY73MXP91Ns5zd50LWuxFOVgCRAwAg0QhZuSr9bKdyjKqtuRoCw9AQAvD_BwE


That might work thanks for the tip! Bontrager used a strange axle to crown length and rake on his forks to make his bikes handle like over caffinated border collies. I'd have to look those numbers up to see if that works. The fun thing is I have a SID SL TI 1" threadless on it now, which is true unicorn to vintage collectors. Also a terrible fork to todays standards but though it was awesome back in the day.

O+
Posted: Mar 3, 2020 at 14:40 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
That's close enough tup

LOL ... I'm going to the bike shop now ..."yes ... I want one of every type of bike you sell"

Posted: Mar 3, 2020 at 14:50 Quote
ExShopRat wrote:
LOL ... I'm going to the bike shop now ..."yes ... I want one of every type of bike you sell"

Only if you get rid of an equal number. Have to maintain the balance!

Previous Page | Next Page

 
Copyright © 2000 - 2023. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.017325
Mobile Version of Website