STFU chain silencer setups.. Are these things worth it?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
STFU chain silencer setups.. Are these things worth it?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Mar 10, 2020 at 9:50 Quote
Im definitely interested in silencing the chain slap on my YT Jeffsy and want to get some opinions on this product. Does this thing really work and is it a PIA to setup??

Posted: Mar 10, 2020 at 12:25 Quote
Also intrigued by them but hesitant to try it.

Posted: Mar 11, 2020 at 15:53 Quote
Rynomx785 wrote:
Also intrigued by them but hesitant to try it.

well i ordered one so ill report back once i get mine installed

Posted: Mar 11, 2020 at 16:22 Quote
gnarcissistictendency wrote:
well i ordered one so ill report back once i get mine installed

Thank you for being the guinea pig. Salute

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it.

Posted: Mar 16, 2020 at 12:56 Quote
I have a set on a Bird AM9. I preordered a set way back in ~october and had completely forgotten about it until delivery confirmation dropped in my email. I've been running it for a about a month now and I'm really happy with it. I didn't have any chain slap issue that I knew of, but damn! Now that the chain is in check, it's a such a bliss riding and hearing nothing but tire thuds and braaps. Fitting was really easy too with the provided instructions. For the price I really recommend the gizmo. Whether it'll be "necessary" or fit your bike you'll have to figure out yourself.

Posted: Mar 16, 2020 at 13:34 Quote
Thanks for the feedback, TLa! What are the sizes of your chainring and cassette, and does the chain ever drag on the device while pedaling?

Posted: Mar 16, 2020 at 13:53 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
Thanks for the feedback, TLa! What are the sizes of your chainring and cassette, and does the chain ever drag on the device while pedaling?

32 ring, 11-46 11s cassette, haven't noticed any drag. Those STFU loops are rubberized so the drag would have to be pretty substantial to notice while riding. Sure the chain will eat trough it in the long run if there is drag. It's pretty easy to set it up drag free if your chainstay doesn't have any wild shapes.

Posted: Mar 16, 2020 at 13:59 Quote
Not sure I like the look of it, but if it works as well as you say, I may have to try it! And with social distancing, no one will know my bike looks silly Wink

Posted: Mar 16, 2020 at 14:40 Quote
haha ya no kidding.. i think it will take a little getting use to as far as looks go but ya if it silences things up that will be superduper... i should be getting mine in then next two weeks.

Posted: Mar 24, 2020 at 19:12 Quote
riish wrote:
Wonder if I can figure out a way to fit a 11-32 model to an 11-36 cassette. The height difference between the 32 and 36 seems to be 7mm from a quick measure of my bike, maybe sliding the unit slightly along the chainstay will produce enough clearance.

(Moving this discussion from another thread to this one, where it's more appropriate.)

riish, my understanding is the modular blocks / spacers that stack under the "hoops" should be able to adjust it. There's quite a range of relative positions between chainstays and chainline; if the device can accommodate this, surely it can accommodate a little variance in cassette dimension.

Can anyone confirm?

Posted: Mar 26, 2020 at 0:44 Quote
Went ahead and just bought the DH10, figured I'll be able to make it fit if it's only 7mm out of spec. I'll limit off the smallest cog if I have to Smile

Posted: Apr 1, 2020 at 21:33 Quote
For anyone searching around and wanting some info:

The DH10 just fit the 11-36 cassette on my V3 Nomad. It rubs in the 36t when the suspension is fully extended, but not at the sag point, which I figured was fine. Not often that you're pedalling in the air in your granny gear!

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005730
Mobile Version of Website