Minion DHR II 29x2.6 measures 2.4?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Minion DHR II 29x2.6 measures 2.4?
| Next Page
Posted: Mar 31, 2020 at 13:14 Quote
Explodo wrote:
The Assegai is an okay tire. I'm not going to replace it right away, but I might not ever buy another one. The Assegai does the one thing that I most don't care for in a tire, and that's have noticable side lug rollover.

It's not horrible rollover like what drove me away from Continental tires years ago.

It's nicely controlled and predictable rollover. If you force the side lugs into flexing on pavement with a hard turn you get a very predictable and controlled shift in the tracking of the tire.

The problem is that it's the sort of rollover that has your tires popping off of rocks instead of clinging on. You can hear and feel it while riding. When your tires can't cling to rocks, but quickly shift off of edges, that's when sidewalls get messed up. To be fair, it may be that the tire is clinging better than others and holding on just a bit longer instead of smoothly shifting off right away, but the sudden shifts are worrisome.

It might actually be fine as a front tire since the loading isn't quite as high in the front. I may find out if it gets shifted to the front eventually. It may also turn into a better tire with a little wear. The lugs are very tall, and once they've worn down a bit it might drastically change how the tire performs, in which case I may end up liking them.

Just my experience so far.

So are you running it as a rear tire only?

Posted: Mar 31, 2020 at 13:18 Quote
gnarcissistictendency wrote:
Explodo wrote:
The Assegai is an okay tire. I'm not going to replace it right away, but I might not ever buy another one. The Assegai does the one thing that I most don't care for in a tire, and that's have noticable side lug rollover.

It's not horrible rollover like what drove me away from Continental tires years ago.

It's nicely controlled and predictable rollover. If you force the side lugs into flexing on pavement with a hard turn you get a very predictable and controlled shift in the tracking of the tire.

The problem is that it's the sort of rollover that has your tires popping off of rocks instead of clinging on. You can hear and feel it while riding. When your tires can't cling to rocks, but quickly shift off of edges, that's when sidewalls get messed up. To be fair, it may be that the tire is clinging better than others and holding on just a bit longer instead of smoothly shifting off right away, but the sudden shifts are worrisome.

It might actually be fine as a front tire since the loading isn't quite as high in the front. I may find out if it gets shifted to the front eventually. It may also turn into a better tire with a little wear. The lugs are very tall, and once they've worn down a bit it might drastically change how the tire performs, in which case I may end up liking them.

Just my experience so far.

So are you running it as a rear tire only?

Currently, yes. Just as a rear. I gave up on trying to get Maxxis 29x2.6 in a reasonable timeframe this year and just replaced my worn rear Aggressor.

Posted: Mar 31, 2020 at 18:29 Quote
Explodo wrote:
Currently, yes. Just as a rear. I gave up on trying to get Maxxis 29x2.6 in a reasonable timeframe this year and just replaced my worn rear Aggressor.

Well I think it is intended to be a front tire. So probably shouldn’t knock it until you know what it’s like when used for it’s main purpose

Posted: Mar 31, 2020 at 18:32 Quote
Why would they call it an assguy if it was meant for the front? Wink

| Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006013
Mobile Version of Website