How burly do single crown forks get?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
How burly do single crown forks get?
  • Next Page
Posted: Apr 8, 2020 at 1:41 Quote
Uchwmdr wrote:
Eversince the totem, ive been on a quest for a fork that can come close to it in burliness. After i rode a pari of 40’s, everything else seems like a petty ass noodle to me. Im 6’3 100 kg and would really appreciate maximum stiffness

[ ... ]

dont see myself riding a dualcrown on a fireroad

Why not? If the weight was about the same as a single-crown, what downsides do you perceive in the double-crown option?

Posted: Apr 8, 2020 at 7:43 Quote
If you're willing to accept 2500g for a sc fork, you're just accepting unavoidable compromises at the same time. The reason I mentioned precision in place of stiffness is that in the sc configuration you get a ton of torsional deformation across your cockpit through twisting of the steerer--the longer the steer tube, stem, and bars, the more pronounced the effect. You can't rid an sc setup of this no matter how much voodoo magicz and elliptical steer tubes you throw at it, but you can practically erase it with a second crown and direct mount stem (ETA: which also helps solve twisting at the CSU)

Posted: Apr 9, 2020 at 5:48 Quote
Or a single leg dual crown that is light and stiff, as in a lefty. And a good damper. Looks is subjective

Posted: Apr 9, 2020 at 5:54 Quote
adespotoskyli wrote:
Or a single leg dual crown that is light and stiff, as in a lefty. And a good damper. Looks is subjective
the thing with that is there is going to be some torsional flex at the axle. It just can't be as stiff as normal forks in that way.

Posted: Apr 9, 2020 at 9:58 Quote
Marininmaine wrote:
the thing with that is there is going to be some torsional flex at the axle. It just can't be as stiff as normal forks in that way.

There's flex in any system, including a standard double-crown. Past Lefty models have been as stiff as - or stiffer than - conventional forks at the same weight, so there's no reason it couldn't continue this trend.

Posted: Apr 9, 2020 at 14:21 Quote
A DC Trust fork...

You heard it here first
My royalties are 20% btw trust :-)

Posted: Apr 9, 2020 at 14:31 Quote
Tdawgtit wrote:
A DC Trust fork...

You heard it here first
My royalties are 20% btw trust :-)

Why not make it a Lefty, too? joshgoreworks.com

photo

Posted: Apr 9, 2020 at 14:32 Quote
Haha yeah why not IF IT WORKS WHYNOT!

Posted: Apr 9, 2020 at 15:37 Quote
Marininmaine wrote:
adespotoskyli wrote:

The lefty is actually really stiff, it uses roller bearings and its verrry surprisingly stiff, it craps on the fox 32, SID and even a fox 34. Of course, if it was up to me, my xc bike would have a pike anyways

Posted: Apr 9, 2020 at 15:56 Quote
Marininmaine wrote:
adespotoskyli wrote:

Some maybe bit the fact is leftys are way stiffer torsionally and fore-aft than any sc of comparable weight, way smoother operation too, and doesn't bind

Posted: Apr 9, 2020 at 16:10 Quote
Leftys do rock for what their intended use is however servicing is few & far between meaning cost prohibitive

Not to mention the stand alone cost of a lefty

Posted: Apr 9, 2020 at 16:16 Quote
I am discussing design a single leg lefty vs sc fork not specific a Cannondale design, those limitations can be overcome relatively easy if you want to make your product rider friendly like a dvo. But a supermax lefty chassis is as good and stiff you can do with the weight it has. Looks never let it shine though and now we are offered a sc fork at 2.5 kg

Posted: Apr 9, 2020 at 16:23 Quote
I don't follow buddy! :-)

I have ridden a carbon version new model round carpark and felt greeeeat

Always wanted an elo version of yesteryear 2000s

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.029819
Mobile Version of Website