FOX DHX2 - Your settings vs recommended settings

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
FOX DHX2 - Your settings vs recommended settings
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Mar 17, 2020 at 0:46 Quote
I'm interested in what settings people are running on their DHX2 shocks; it took me quite a lot of trial and error to arrive at my current settings and couldn't find much advice online where people referenced their settings compared to Fox's 'recommended' base settings.

As there are so many variables (bike, rider and riding style) it would be interesting to see how far riders have deviated from the base settings and why https://www.ridefox.com/dl/bike/605-00-166-DHX2-Tuning-Guide-white-revA.pdf.

I have a 180mm travel bike with a 60mm stroke shock...running a 450lb spring.

This puts me directly on the line between tables B & C; so Fox recommends all settings to be around 7 clicks out.

My current settings (from closed) are:

LSC -5
HSC -10
LSR -18
HSR -19

I'm potentially on the verge of being a little undersprung at 450lbs, but tried a 500lb spring and found it was a bit too firm for general riding. I've got the LSC wound in quite a bit to give more support when pedalling, pumping and pushing through corners and the HSC more open to take the faster hits. Rebound seems a little open on paper but in reality it feels perfect; poppy and tracks really well.

What are you running compared to Fox's recommended settings? tup

Posted: Mar 17, 2020 at 5:14 Quote
60mm stroke. 160mm travel. 600 lb spring.

Fox's recs: 6-9 clicks.

My actual settings:
LSC: 9
HSC: 11
LSR: 6
HSR: 0

Only a couple rides so far so that may change a couple clicks here or there but so far feels good and similar feel to my X2 on the same bike.

Posted: Mar 18, 2020 at 7:21 Quote
jeremy3220 wrote:
60mm stroke. 160mm travel. 600 lb spring.

Fox's recs: 6-9 clicks.

My actual settings:
LSC: 9
HSC: 11
LSR: 6
HSR: 0

Only a couple rides so far so that may change a couple clicks here or there but so far feels good and similar feel to my X2 on the same bike.

Cool...are you running the HSC closed after watching the Vorsprung Suspension videos??tup

Posted: Mar 18, 2020 at 7:44 Quote
I've tried Vorsprung settings and found them horrible. HSR fully closed results in horribly harsh ride. I run it the other way. Open it all the way and close it click by click until bike stop topping out in bunny hop. I usually end up 4-6 click from fully open.

My current setting: 60mm stroke, 180mm travel;

HSR - 6
LSR - 7
HSC - 4
LSC - 10

Posted: Mar 18, 2020 at 8:05 Quote
Yeah, I was having issues with the bike kicking sideways on jumps after installing a Float X2, came across that video then closed the HSR. It fixed the issue so I left the HSR closed on the X2 and carried over the setting to my new DHX2.

Posted: Mar 18, 2020 at 8:27 Quote
shoshy wrote:
I've tried Vorsprung settings and found them horrible. HSR fully closed results in horribly harsh ride. I run it the other way. Open it all the way and close it click by click until bike stop topping out in bunny hop. I usually end up 4-6 click from fully open.

My current setting: 60mm stroke, 180mm travel;

HSR - 6
LSR - 7
HSC - 4
LSC - 10

Are these clicks from open?

I tried the Vorsprung approach and found the back end felt a bit dead. I've set mine up more as described in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yjql1kExvCE

He advises winding out both HSR and LSR until you get that correct oscillation off a kerb, then take off a tiny bit more HSR.

Posted: Jun 9, 2020 at 9:47 Quote
I hear its possible to extend the stroke of some models/Remove a spacer. Is this true ?
For EX i need a 230*65, Could i use a 230*60?

Posted: Jun 10, 2020 at 0:03 Quote
Yes you can. If you go check the part numbers and pictures on fox website, you can see that they only have black plastic spacer under the bottom out bumper. 65-60mm stroke shocks are the same. 2.5mm or 5mm spacer just included.

I did cutted it of with knippex cutters in order to increase my bike travel a bit. That way you dont need to do any rebuild for your shock.

But this only work with dhx2 and not 100% sure if it is the same with the 2021 models. 2019-2020 was at least.

Posted: Jun 11, 2020 at 16:42 Quote
Cura wrote:
Yes you can. If you go check the part numbers and pictures on fox website, you can see that they only have black plastic spacer under the bottom out bumper. 65-60mm stroke shocks are the same. 2.5mm or 5mm spacer just included.

I did cutted it of with knippex cutters in order to increase my bike travel a bit. That way you dont need to do any rebuild for your shock.

But this only work with dhx2 and not 100% sure if it is the same with the 2021 models. 2019-2020 was at least.
Thanks. You said their is a 2.5mm spacer. does this mean i am able to use shocks with a stroke of 57.5?

Posted: Jun 11, 2020 at 17:25 Quote
Haddow-B wrote:
Cura wrote:

Thanks. You said their is a 2.5mm spacer. does this mean i am able to use shocks with a stroke of 57.5?
Yeah, the Megatower comes with a 57.5 stroke

Posted: Jul 1, 2020 at 21:26 Quote
jeremy3220 wrote:
Yeah, I was having issues with the bike kicking sideways on jumps after installing a Float X2, came across that video then closed the HSR. It fixed the issue so I left the HSR closed on the X2 and carried over the setting to my new DHX2.

Hi Jeremy - not sure closing the HSR is a good idea, that shock will pack down over repeated hits..... However, I had the same issue of my bike kicking sideways on jumps so I firmed up the low speed compression damping to give it some extra firmness in the take off. Fixed the issue. I run the LSC around 6. I'm only 130lbs. It can feel a little harsh on braking bumps though.

Posted: Jul 2, 2020 at 7:28 Quote
alandc wrote:
jeremy3220 wrote:

Hi Jeremy - not sure closing the HSR is a good idea, that shock will pack down over repeated hits.....

That hasn't been my experience and if you watch Steve's video you'll see why. I've had other shocks that pack down easily but not the X2 variants. The Super Deluxe that came on the bike felt too fast on the jumps and still packed down in the rock gardens.

Posted: Jul 2, 2020 at 8:16 Quote
jeremy3220 wrote:
alandc wrote:
jeremy3220 wrote:

Hi Jeremy - not sure closing the HSR is a good idea, that shock will pack down over repeated hits.....

That hasn't been my experience and if you watch Steve's video you'll see why. I've had other shocks that pack down easily but not the X2 variants. The Super Deluxe that came on the bike felt too fast on the jumps and still packed down in the rock gardens.

You can thank Rockshox bs “feature” of rapid recovery, which is really just another thing that doesn’t do anything but be another marketing point. My settings with the dhx2 are pretty much spot on the recommended settings from fox.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005526
Mobile Version of Website