Responsible and effective social distance riding

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
Responsible and effective social distance riding
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Mar 21, 2020 at 16:56 Quote
In time of Corona pandemic, it is just right to cooperate with steps suggested by experts like social distancing. Riding with your buddies in train at 1 meter apart per social distance rule of thumb isn't going to cut it.
I have been riding with a fairly large group and we do it with the usual train with wheel distances of 2 to 6 feet on regular stretches. Obviously sometimes much longer when some just can't keep up. But it is when the usual 2 to 6 feet distances is certainly not enough IMO. I usually ride in the middle or sometimes last and I can smell the breathing of the person in front of me once in a while. This is compounded when a rider has runny nose and a habit of blowing his nose or even spitting while riding. I myself is guilty of spitting during cold night riding as my nose tend to be runny sometimes. I would spit with force and this creates gazillion fine droplets as I can see them more pronounced from bike lights.
Technically our train ride is like talking to a person within a foot face to face!
What do you guys think? Should we have our own social distances rules during group train rides? 20 to 30 feet or more depending how fast the group is going. I hate to ride solo - no fun but DEFINITELY want to do my part and don't help spread COVID-19!

Posted: Mar 21, 2020 at 20:09 Quote
To be safe, I'll break out the xc rig, slide into some spandex and ride solo on the steepest roads I can find.

Posted: Mar 23, 2020 at 0:27 Quote
jackdbiker wrote:
In time of Corona pandemic, it is just right to cooperate with steps suggested by experts like social distancing. Riding with your buddies in train at 1 meter apart per social distance rule of thumb isn't going to cut it.
I have been riding with a fairly large group and we do it with the usual train with wheel distances of 2 to 6 feet on regular stretches. Obviously sometimes much longer when some just can't keep up. But it is when the usual 2 to 6 feet distances is certainly not enough IMO. I usually ride in the middle or sometimes last and I can smell the breathing of the person in front of me once in a while. This is compounded when a rider has runny nose and a habit of blowing his nose or even spitting while riding. I myself is guilty of spitting during cold night riding as my nose tend to be runny sometimes. I would spit with force and this creates gazillion fine droplets as I can see them more pronounced from bike lights.
Technically our train ride is like talking to a person within a foot face to face!
What do you guys think? Should we have our own social distances rules during group train rides? 20 to 30 feet or more depending how fast the group is going. I hate to ride solo - no fun but DEFINITELY want to do my part and don't help spread COVID-19!

droplets stay in the air for at least 30 seconds. Say a minute to be safe. How far do you ride in a minute? That is how far back you need to be. Honestly, you probably should not be group riding with anyone you don't live with. You should not group up on the trail. You should not blow your nose or spit. Don't share food or bottles. Don't touch.

There is no doubt that most riders will be more likely to die of a trail accident then COVID but that is not the purpose of social isolation. You guys are going to spread the disease the way you are doing it. Imagine how easy it is to get the flu from someone - we have all had that experience. Now imagine 20x more contagious with a 2-10% mortality (depending on where you live). 800 people died in Italy in one day! If you guys wait until it gets bad before you follow the rules, it will be too late.

Posted: Mar 23, 2020 at 13:49 Quote
Thanks for your input rahrider. I had actually decided to ride solo after my first posting as I figure, one can't really stay far enough in any group train riding no matter what distance precaution you do. As sooner or later, group tend to converge again then start moving again and this will make one to inadvertently pass secretion to others.

This is the right thing to do. I hope all riders will do too. A less fun ride is just a little sacrifice and everyone should chip in in every way they can during this awful covid-19 pandemic. Actually we are way better off than other team sports. Ride safe and stay healthy!

Posted: Apr 3, 2020 at 15:47 Quote
I'm riding by myself these days, on trails that give me about as much chance of getting hurt as I have while showering.

Posted: Apr 8, 2020 at 4:39 Quote
Ride alone. Safely. No need to push and cause added work for emergency services. We are ALL dealing with this. I have a very small group who I ride with regularly and work with a few. ride alone 95% of the time.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.004693
Mobile Version of Website