12 speed Shimano and Sram Compatibility?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
12 speed Shimano and Sram Compatibility?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Mar 21, 2020 at 17:40 Quote
I've been thinking of using a mixed drivetrain system with Sram eagle shifter and derailleur while using a XT cassette because of that hyperglide+. Probably gonna get a XO1 crankset with X-Sync 2 chainring, Should I be using a Shimano or Sram chain?Facepalm also, can you fit Shimano chainrings on sram crank spindles?

Posted: Mar 22, 2020 at 3:31 Quote
wolftooth sell a chainring that fits sram direct mount cranks for shimano 12 drivetrain. I’m using xo1 cranks on my full shimano xt 12 drivetrain with one of these and use a shimano 12 chain. That way you know the drivetrain is shifting at its best. I know the sram shifters are nice but I personally couldn’t wait to get rid of the eagle derailleur as it’s so sensitive and the clutch can’t be adjusted. Xt was so much better for me.
P.s you probably know this but just in case, you need a new microspline freehub to fit any shimano 12 cassettes. Check to see if your hub can be converted first. It’s not the same as the old shimano splined freehubs we all know.

https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/collections/mountain/products/direct-mount-chainrings-for-cane-creek-and-sram-cranks-for-shimano-12spd-hyperglide-chain

Posted: Mar 22, 2020 at 4:23 Quote
Spangoolies wrote:
wolftooth sell a chainring that fits sram direct mount cranks. I’m using xo1 cranks on my full shimano xt 12 drivetrain with one of these and use a shimano 12 chain. That way you know the drivetrain is shifting at its best. I know the sram shifters are nice but I personally couldn’t wait to get rid of the eagle derailleur as it’s so sensitive and the clutch can’t be adjusted. Xt was so much better for me.
P.s you probably know this but just in case, you need a new microspline freehub to fit any shimano 12 cassettes. Check to see if your hub can be converted first. It’s not the same as the old shimano splined freehubs we all know.

https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/collections/mountain/products/direct-mount-chainrings-for-cane-creek-and-sram-cranks-for-shimano-12spd-hyperglide-chain

Thanks a lot mate, I think a shimano chain would work better with a shimano cassette. I’m not 100% sure, but i think DT makes microspline freehub, gonna check into it,

Posted: Mar 22, 2020 at 9:55 Quote
BillyBoy0519 wrote:
I've been thinking of using a mixed drivetrain system with Sram eagle shifter and derailleur while using a XT cassette because of that hyperglide+. Probably gonna get a XO1 crankset with X-Sync 2 chainring, Should I be using a Shimano or Sram chain?Facepalm also, can you fit Shimano chainrings on sram crank spindles?

You do know that HG+ feature is only there when you're using Shimano's new 12sp chain and cassette?!..

Posted: Mar 22, 2020 at 16:16 Quote
jasminov wrote:
BillyBoy0519 wrote:

You do know that HG+ feature is only there when you're using Shimano's new 12sp chain and cassette?!..

Ahhhh, So I definitely need to get a Hg+ chain.

Posted: Mar 24, 2020 at 6:51 Quote
BillyBoy0519 wrote:
jasminov wrote:
BillyBoy0519 wrote:

Ahhhh, So I definitely need to get a Hg+ chain.
AND cassette. Otherway - it won't work out.

Posted: Mar 24, 2020 at 9:28 Quote
https://www.pinkbike.com/news/review-shimano-xtr-m9100-12-speed-drivetrain.html

Does It Blend?

There have been a number of questions floating around in the comments section about the cross-compatibility of SRAM and Shimano components. Of course, neither company is going to recommend mixing and matching their components with a direct competitor's, but does that mean it doesn't actually work? Not exactly... It turns out that the cassette spacing and cable pull amount are close enough that mixing brands is entirely possible.

Not surprisingly, if you want the best shifting performance from an XTR drivetrain, it's best to use all of the components - chain, derailleur, cassette and shifter. The chain and cassette are specifically designed to work together, and if you use a different chain you aren't getting all of the benefits of the impressive Hyperglide+ shifting.

That being said, it's also possible to pair a Shimano XTR shifter and derailleur with a SRAM Eagle cassette and chain. You'll lose the ability to power through the gears under load, but you'll still be able to drop two gears with one push of the shifter, and have a serviceable and adjustable clutch, all without needing to buy a Microspline freehub body or an entirely new hub / wheel.

Posted: Mar 24, 2020 at 16:45 Quote
mtnbikermitch wrote:

Does It Blend?

There have been a number of questions floating around in the comments section about the cross-compatibility of SRAM and Shimano components. Of course, neither company is going to recommend mixing and matching their components with a direct competitor's, but does that mean it doesn't actually work? Not exactly... It turns out that the cassette spacing and cable pull amount are close enough that mixing brands is entirely possible.

Not surprisingly, if you want the best shifting performance from an XTR drivetrain, it's best to use all of the components - chain, derailleur, cassette and shifter. The chain and cassette are specifically designed to work together, and if you use a different chain you aren't getting all of the benefits of the impressive Hyperglide+ shifting.

That being said, it's also possible to pair a Shimano XTR shifter and derailleur with a SRAM Eagle cassette and chain. You'll lose the ability to power through the gears under load, but you'll still be able to drop two gears with one push of the shifter, and have a serviceable and adjustable clutch, all without needing to buy a Microspline freehub body or an entirely new hub / wheel.

Thanks a lot man, at this point i might just go full shimano except for the cranks, no benefit of running an eagle derailleur, unless of personal preference

Posted: Mar 27, 2020 at 21:17 Quote
Let me interject and say that Hyperglide+ is almost entirely accomplished with the cassette. Yes, for best results, use a Shimano chain. But I’m running my XT12 system with a GX Eagle chain and it works 95% as good, maybe 99%. I have no complaints. No funny noises, no grindy shifts, nothing.

Posted: Apr 13, 2020 at 6:58 Quote
mtnbikermitch wrote:

Does It Blend?

I’ve heard that Shimano 12s derailleurs are compatible with the rest of the Eagle bits. Anyone know if this is true?

Posted: Apr 13, 2020 at 7:21 Quote
HuckleberryHound wrote:
mtnbikermitch wrote:

Does It Blend?

I’ve heard that Shimano 12s derailleurs are compatible with the rest of the Eagle bits. Anyone know if this is true?

I think everything is cross compatible. I watched this YouTuber talk about it. I think his channel is along the lines of “LoveMtb”.

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006279
Mobile Version of Website