Is it ok to paint coil shock springs?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Is it ok to paint coil shock springs?
Previous Page |
Author Message
Posted: Mar 22, 2020 at 16:22 Quote
I'm thinking about getting a cane creek progressive coil because I have their coil shock, but I'm disappointed that they only come in white. Is it ok to paint coils? If so, what's the best way?

Posted: Mar 22, 2020 at 17:32 Quote
Yes, powder coat. Can spray can it, but powder coat is the best.

Posted: Mar 22, 2020 at 18:15 Quote
Plasti Dip also seems to work well. Several of the bikes in the "Sexiest [category] Bikes" threads have gone this route.

Posted: Mar 25, 2020 at 9:51 Quote
Whatever coating you use it has to allow flex.
Certain powdercoats are great for that and last forever.

Posted: Mar 25, 2020 at 10:53 Quote
Could also use the same paint used for painting polycarbonate lexan RC car bodies. Tamiya makes the best paint and they have a bunch of colors. Did this for the coil springs on my rock crawler and they are still nice and red. Make sure you prep the coil for paint as best you can.

Posted: Aug 12, 2022 at 9:32 Quote
How would you suggest prepping the coil?

Posted: Aug 12, 2022 at 10:22 Quote
I sprayed my spring with plastikote a few years ago, I just roughed up the original coating with a scotchbrite pad and wiped it down with thinners before spraying. It's lasted very well, but probably could do with another coat as it's worn where it sits against the preload collar.

Posted: Aug 15, 2022 at 13:50 Quote
Any more comments from you who painted coil long time ago , please?..
Photos...

Posted: Aug 25, 2022 at 3:58 Quote
ka81 wrote:
Any more comments from you who painted coil long time ago , please?..
Photos...
I jumped in here as well because there is only one colour option for coil spring in my shock. I wanna customise it. I hope I’ll find a way to paint it on a reasonable price level.

Posted: Aug 25, 2022 at 4:29 Quote
I sprayed this a couple of years ago. As you can see the paint has held up well, but the original (powder?) coating is starting to crack and peel. I don't know if it's anything to do with the fact it's been sprayed, probably more to do with it being nearly 5 years old. I'm planning to strip away the original coating and refurbish it, I'll post more photos when I'm done.


Posted: Aug 25, 2022 at 5:09 Quote
commental wrote:
I sprayed this a couple of years ago. As you can see the paint has held up well, but the original (powder?) coating is starting to crack and peel. I don't know if it's anything to do with the fact it's been sprayed, probably more to do with it being nearly 5 years old. I'm planning to strip away the original coating and refurbish it, I'll post more photos when I'm done.


Thanks mate,
I have found below video for motorcycle and car springs, probably same process for us as well. They recommend to remove old paint. I’ll do this at some point to customise my bicycle.

https://youtu.be/iZjUCvs21X4

https://youtu.be/maQcuYSYPk0

Posted: Aug 25, 2022 at 10:57 Quote
TravellerSeko wrote:
. They recommend to remove old paint. I’ll do this at some point
how?
Sand-blast or ... ?

Posted: Aug 25, 2022 at 12:16 Quote
I've just spent a couple of hours doing mine, used a blow torch and a wire brush to get the worst off, then used thin strips cut from belt sander belts (works better than sandpaper as it's cloth backed and doesn't snap or tear) to get the rest off. I then used a rust treatment on any bits that were exposed before stripping or hard to get to. I'm pretty happy with how it's come up, starting the re coat tomorrow.

Posted: Aug 25, 2022 at 13:24 Quote
ka81 wrote:
TravellerSeko wrote:
. They recommend to remove old paint. I’ll do this at some point
how?
Sand-blast or ... ?

Watch the link I shared. I’ll do the same things.

Posted: Aug 25, 2022 at 13:25 Quote
commental wrote:
I've just spent a couple of hours doing mine, used a blow torch and a wire brush to get the worst off, then used thin strips cut from belt sander belts (works better than sandpaper as it's cloth backed and doesn't snap or tear) to get the rest off. I then used a rust treatment on any bits that were exposed before stripping or hard to get to. I'm pretty happy with how it's come up, starting the re coat tomorrow.

Brilliant pall Share the picture when it is completed pls

Previous Page |

 
Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008027
Mobile Version of Website