Are fake tires an issue?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Are fake tires an issue?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Mar 23, 2020 at 7:24 Quote
I run 27.5x3.0 High Roller IIs on my hardtail. I know many of you hate plus tires, but they work for me. The hardtail in question is an over-forked Salsa Timberjack frame with a 160mm Marzocchi Z1, XT, Chris King, RaceFace, etc. The result is a 65 degree head angle with no rider on it and it gets ridden hard.

Any of you that ride plus tires know that they're expensive. ChainReactionCycles had a sale on my tires some time back and I grabbed 4 of them at $50 apiece. I just recently put one of those tires on the rear of the bike and after one ride, the outer layer of sidewall rubber is peeling off from the tread towards the rim for about a 45 degree arc containing the 3C/MaxTerra/Exo information.

The previous set took far more abuse on the same trail without any issue...so did I get a knock-off?

Posted: Mar 23, 2020 at 12:44 Quote
I think you got something that has been sitting in a warehouse for long enough that they deemed it worthy of selling to you at cost. A plausible reason for the failure could be as simple as dry rot. Maybe not to the point of being obvious like cracking the tread, but at least to the point the rubber has broken down and no longer is as resilient as a freshly made tire might be. I’m sure there are fake tires out there but reputable dealers wouldn’t likely come into contact with them. That said, maxxis tires do carry a warranty on manufacturing defects. You’ve got one year from the date of purchase. Start by contacting CRC. Good luck, and hope it gets sorted.

Just for informational purposes
Continental 2 years
Schwalbe 3 years from purchase or 5 from manufacturing
WTB 2 years
CST 6mo (maxxis’ parent company)

Posted: Mar 23, 2020 at 14:51 Quote
Yep, there is a reason car tires have date stamps on them if you know how to read them. Bike tires work the same way, probably no dates though. Sounds like you got some olds ones.

Posted: Mar 28, 2020 at 20:10 Quote
If my tires aren’t at least $100 each, then I don’t entertain.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005008
Mobile Version of Website