Covid-19 and travelling to bikeparks/trails

PB Forum :: United Kingdom
Covid-19 and travelling to bikeparks/trails
Posted: Apr 4, 2020 at 6:26 Quote
chris-adam-media wrote:
cmcrawfo wrote:
Abordage wrote:
Maybe I will express an unpopular opinion, but... The government told us to stay at home for a reason. Aren't you all concerned about Covid-19? The doctors don't know how to fight this freaking' virus right now. And so it's dangerous to go out. And in this situation the only thing you worry about is the police? That's a little strange, TBH.

The constraint of civil liberties IS the bigger problem. The pathogen will pass, but freedoms will forever be curtailed.

Keep your eyes open. And don’t blindly accept the narrative. There are always health concerns, humans die, it’s inevitable. I would much rather die free as a young man, than live for ever as a prisoner.

Let's hope no-one you care about dies prematurely in a way that could have been avoided because someone else would rather 'die free as a young man' (even though they are most likely low risk) This isn't about you. its about looking out for fellow humans but people don't seem to get that. You're literally just being asked to stay home for a bit

First, you have no understanding of my particular context or sacrifice. And I am not interested in disclosing that on this forum.

I am not trying to say things shouldn’t be taken seriously, but you are blind and ignorant if you think all your freedoms will be restored, and we need to not blindly and ignorently follow a narrative. You need to ask questions and make sure things makes sense. Lots of what is going on should be question, but we don’t. Because people are afraid they refuse to think.

Posted: Apr 4, 2020 at 7:00 Quote
cmcrawfo wrote:

First, you have no understanding of my particular context or sacrifice. And I am not interested in disclosing that on this forum.

I am not trying to say things shouldn’t be taken seriously, but you are blind and ignorant if you think all your freedoms will be restored, and we need to not blindly and ignorently follow a narrative. You need to ask questions and make sure things makes sense. Lots of what is going on should be question, but we don’t. Because people are afraid they refuse to think.

Your right in everything should be questioned and people shouldn’t follow something blind or blinkered without knowing the full picture. But you should also not get caught up with crazy thoughts or conspiracies. You really think there will be some crazy world dictatorship or regime that turns the masses into all work no play slave beings? Yes there will be continued restrictions until this virus is under control. Yes there will likely be a global recession or maybe even a depression after all this but with today’s freedom of information and global communication, the masses will not stand for unwarranted controls if they are for profit or power and not for the people. It simply won’t happen or last. We will all probably have to tighten our belts, hopefully it will shake up the welfare systems and push out a lot of bogus cases and get rid of the attitude of entitlement without paying for it and abuse of human rights at the cost of good honest hard working people.
Judging by what I’ve read and witnessed, the current reactions by my government and the restrictions imposed on me are not unreasonable and perfectly valid.

Posted: Apr 4, 2020 at 7:29 Quote
Spangoolies wrote:
cmcrawfo wrote:

Your right in everything should be questioned and people shouldn’t follow something blind or blinkered without knowing the full picture. But you should also not get caught up with crazy thoughts or conspiracies. You really think there will be some crazy world dictatorship or regime that turns the masses into all work no play slave beings? Yes there will be continued restrictions until this virus is under control. Yes there will likely be a global recession or maybe even a depression after all this but with today’s freedom of information and global communication, the masses will not stand for unwarranted controls if they are for profit or power and not for the people. It simply won’t happen or last. We will all probably have to tighten our belts, hopefully it will shake up the welfare systems and push out a lot of bogus cases and get rid of the attitude of entitlement without paying for it and abuse of human rights at the cost of good honest hard working people.
Judging by what I’ve read and witnessed, the current reactions by my government and the restrictions imposed on me are not unreasonable and perfectly valid.

You are making judgments about what I said to discredit their validity. I am not talking about any thing in particular, yet you jump to assume I am talking about one of the most far fetched and unlikely scenarios.

Think critically, learn from history.

Posted: Apr 4, 2020 at 7:31 Quote
I am not saying that there isn’t something that shouldn’t be taken seriously, but there a lot things going on that need to be questioned and people need to pay attention. It’s never black and white. And reforms and constraints are never fully relaxed after being implemented. History has told us this. People just need to stay awake and vigilant, not just as a means of protect their health today, but as means of ensuring liberty and prosperity after wards.

Anyway, I digress.

I really hope it works out for everyone in all aspects.

Posted: Apr 4, 2020 at 7:34 Quote
cmcrawfo wrote:
Spangoolies wrote:
cmcrawfo wrote:

You are making judgments about what I said to discredit their validity. I am not talking about any thing in particular, yet you jump to assume I am talking about one of the most far fetched and unlikely scenarios.

Think critically, learn from history.

Yer whatever

Posted: Apr 4, 2020 at 14:11 Quote
Lets call it quits here.

Posted: Apr 4, 2020 at 22:49 Quote
Just out of interest
Put some slick tyres on an went for a 10mile 40min ride around the villages yesterday (as we are allowed at the mo here in the UK) crossed paths with about 15-20 other people.....

So jealous of those that have woodland on their door steps

Posted: Apr 5, 2020 at 0:37 Quote
I'm very lucky that I can ride to my local trails from my front door. One thing I have noticed is when I'm on the road some drivers are passing me in places where they shouldn't. It's almost as if they have become used to being held up less due to the quiet roads, and are less tolerant when they come across something that slows their rate of progress. I'm so glad I'm able to get into the woods and off the roads. Thanking my lucky stars on a daily basis that I don't live in an inner city area.

Posted: Apr 5, 2020 at 1:18 Quote
i dont agree that the 'one rule for all' is strictly applicable to every situation. I can just picture the sheer volumes of traffic on the roads leaving London if it was permitted & acceptable to drive to place of exercise, everyone stuck at home, everyone wanting an excuse to leave the house.. so I can understand the issue in this case. certainly too driving 2 hours to ride popular trails is definitely out of the question.

personal circumstances are not universal but the advice is clear. so make your choices with this in mind. the advice not to drive unless essential is specifically in place to reduce the services (police, medical) resources required to operate the roads & highways.

I have trails right out of the front door & ride every day, mostly forest & bridleways with some nice singletrack. I have driven a couple of times to local built trails, 10-15 mins drive & I went via supermarket for groceries on the way home.

bikeparks are ALL closed as are some trail centres (swinley forest due to proximity of london & the sheer volumes it receives).

Posted: Apr 5, 2020 at 1:22 Quote
nojzilla wrote:
Just out of interest
Put some slick tyres on an went for a 10mile 40min ride around the villages yesterday (as we are allowed at the mo here in the UK) crossed paths with about 15-20 other people.....

So jealous of those that have woodland on their door steps

where do you live? no bridleways there? have you scoured opencyclemap for trails/tracks/paths?

Posted: Apr 5, 2020 at 2:26 Quote
Small rural market town surrounded by farms with a lot of get of my laaaaaaand. Even then some 60mph roads to get the few miles out of town to bridle ways. I'm more worried about some dick in a car knocking me off. Even in these times it only takes one numpty to hospitalise me, speaking from experience! The village loop I'm riding is mostly 30mph so less scary, just making the most of a bad situ.

Posted: Apr 5, 2020 at 3:28 Quote
It's actually perfectly legal and allowed to travel for excercise: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/31/uk-police-reissued-with-guidance-on-enforcing-coronavirus-lockdown?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Post&fbclid=IwAR1zFPjbTugcMoJj9nqJ_aMGJmrHgb4Ac58dxJyqNPsW-y37NoQpG6wG42A
But the point is to be sensible with where you travel and what trails you access. I mean if your choices are to either go to a local crowded park/trail 1 mile away from your house or to access some soulless woods 10 miles away. You'd probably do yourself and others a favour choosing the latter option as you have less chance of contaminating someone or catching it. On the other hand if you choose to go to a very popular riding spot there are higher chances of it being quite busy and I'd strongly advito to avoid doing it. And obviously ride solo and ride safe!

Ps: Forgot to mention, it may also be better to ride towards the evening (during weekends) as it reduces the chances of meeting other riders.

Posted: Apr 5, 2020 at 5:56 Quote
Vermona wrote:

Ps: Forgot to mention, it may also be better to ride towards the evening (during weekends) as it reduces the chances of meeting other riders.

I'm planning on getting out later, but I won't be leaving the house before 4.30pm as I fully agree with your way of thinking.

Posted: Apr 5, 2020 at 6:01 Quote
Worryingly now they are threating a full ban on outdoor exercise if people dont stop the taking the piss. There are always a few fuds that just cant stop themselves and make it worse for everyone. Utterly against the idea of collective punishment. Deal with the individuals, not the rest of us who are taking this seriously. Just to be clear, not suggesting anyone in this thread is a fud. Stay safe all.

Posted: Apr 5, 2020 at 6:10 Quote
Ban every one but key workers¿ :'D

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005950
Mobile Version of Website