Covid-19 and travelling to bikeparks/trails

PB Forum :: United Kingdom
Covid-19 and travelling to bikeparks/trails
Posted: Apr 5, 2020 at 7:25 Quote
Nah, I needs my pedalling. Go nuts without it.

Posted: Apr 5, 2020 at 8:11 Quote
TreeBeak wrote:
Worryingly now they are threating a full ban on outdoor exercise if people dont stop the taking the piss. There are always a few fuds that just cant stop themselves and make it worse for everyone. Utterly against the idea of collective punishment. Deal with the individuals, not the rest of us who are taking this seriously. Just to be clear, not suggesting anyone in this thread is a fud. Stay safe all.

Where have you seen this? I can't find anything about it.

Posted: Apr 5, 2020 at 8:14 Quote
F*ck it, I'm getting my kit on and getting out for a ride right now, in case this is my last opportunity.

Posted: Apr 5, 2020 at 8:27 Quote
commental wrote:
TreeBeak wrote:
Worryingly now they are threating a full ban on outdoor exercise if people dont stop the taking the piss. There are always a few fuds that just cant stop themselves and make it worse for everyone. Utterly against the idea of collective punishment. Deal with the individuals, not the rest of us who are taking this seriously. Just to be clear, not suggesting anyone in this thread is a fud. Stay safe all.

Where have you seen this? I can't find anything about it.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-52172035

Posted: Apr 5, 2020 at 9:58 Quote
commental wrote:
F*ck it, I'm getting my kit on and getting out for a ride right now, in case this is my last opportunity.

Enjoy. Hopefully it wont come to that.

Posted: Apr 6, 2020 at 5:16 Quote
TreeBeak wrote:
no they will just ban any gatherings first which is the issue (in cities) & not excercise.

Posted: Apr 6, 2020 at 5:22 Quote
nojzilla wrote:
Small rural market town surrounded by farms with a lot of get of my laaaaaaand. Even then some 60mph roads to get the few miles out of town to bridle ways. I'm more worried about some dick in a car knocking me off. Even in these times it only takes one numpty to hospitalise me, speaking from experience! The village loop I'm riding is mostly 30mph so less scary, just making the most of a bad situ.
same here Im in hampshire & its all farmland here. which means farm tracks/bridleways. if you look on opencyclemap then you will see if its a bridleway (dark green dashed line or dark blue dashed line) also anywhere you see an orange hazt line is a recommended rural cycleway - often hard to know what the surface is like but better exploring these than riding on the roads. I hardly ride on any roads here. bridleway is free to access on horse/bike. its a public right of way. i do ride on some footpaths but they are well off the beaten track.

Posted: Apr 6, 2020 at 5:33 Quote
Riding on footpaths is an interesting one. It isn't actually a criminal offence, rather a civil matter, ie. you won't be arrested for it, but you are open to landowner using civil law against you. In reality highly unlikely.

I have had an occasional dog walker take issue, it's always interesting to see their faces when you tell them what you are doing isn't strictly illegal, but the fact they aren't in control of their animal is. To be honest I don't engage anymore, I just wish them good day and keep riding. In my experience, as long as you are polite and stop, or slow right down when passing, most people are fine.

Singletrack had a great article a few years ago about the top 10 responses to "You shouldn't be here". My favourite was "I know, I killed someone here last week". lol

Posted: Apr 6, 2020 at 7:22 Quote
a-d-e wrote:
TreeBeak wrote:
no they will just ban any gatherings first which is the issue (in cities) & not excercise.

I really don't get why people keep blaming those in cities this is happing all over the uk what people outside of the cities seem to forget is how populated these areas are. If it was "the issue in cities" why would forestry england shut all the park and why would places like the peaks and brecons see record visitors. People need to get a grip and stop just reading the daily mail.

Posted: Apr 6, 2020 at 8:53 Quote
Because cities are where the bigger populations are an the bigger volume of infected are, then they drive out to beauty spots an spread the virus to lesser population count that may not be infected
Simple mathematics really

Never read a news paper in my life

Posted: Apr 6, 2020 at 9:05 Quote
nojzilla wrote:
Because cities are where the bigger populations are an the bigger volume of infected are, then they drive out to beauty spots an spread the virus to lesser population count that may not be infected

So it was only people from cities that rammed cannock chase a few weeks ago, lined the brecons roads with cars and all that? I think thats extremely unlikely. Its a collective problem I don't get why people can't see that. But its cool people rather push blame on others to make themselves feel better about what they are doing. Its the classic oh im not as bad as so and so.

Posted: Apr 6, 2020 at 9:30 Quote
joepuddle wrote:
nojzilla wrote:

So it was only people from cities that rammed cannock chase a few weeks ago, lined the brecons roads with cars and all that? I think thats extremely unlikely. Its a collective problem I don't get why people can't see that. But its cool people rather push blame on others to make themselves feel better about what they are doing. Its the classic oh im not as bad as so and so.

"I really don't get why people keep blaming those in cities"

No lock down a few weeks ago...... were now starting the third week

Posted: Apr 6, 2020 at 11:01 Quote
nojzilla wrote:
joepuddle wrote:
nojzilla wrote:

"I really don't get why people keep blaming those in cities"

No lock down a few weeks ago...... were now starting the third week

Apart from getting triggered by news articles London is actually pretty empty I took this on Sunday while cycling down Oxford Street. I really do think people who are passing judgment on Londoners going to parks need to realise very few people in its city even have a garden. Unless you don't have access to outside space you can't really comment.

Posted: Apr 7, 2020 at 13:54 Quote
commental wrote:
Riding on footpaths is an interesting one. It isn't actually a criminal offence, rather a civil matter, ie. you won't be arrested for it, but you are open to landowner using civil law against you. In reality highly unlikely.

I have had an occasional dog walker take issue, it's always interesting to see their faces when you tell them what you are doing isn't strictly illegal, but the fact they aren't in control of their animal is. To be honest I don't engage anymore, I just wish them good day and keep riding. In my experience, as long as you are polite and stop, or slow right down when passing, most people are fine.

Singletrack had a great article a few years ago about the top 10 responses to "You shouldn't be here". My favourite was "I know, I killed someone here last week". lol
will try to remember that one ! but yeah mainly try use judgement to decide if a footpath is safe. ive ridden 1000s km on footpaths & all i get is a 'hello'. problems moreoften its on doubletracks & farm tracks & private roads people will tell you its not public access. just looks at strava user tracks you will see many instances of cycling on footpaths. also need to understand footpaths aint freeride lines brah need to be an ambassador of the sport in these circumstances & meet & greet & pull the EFF over even if theres plenty of room - in almost every case I get a nice hello/thanks. also dont ride wearing all this shitty garish bright cycle clothing - people who hate cyclists HATE cycling 'get-up' LOL..

I was stopped recently by an old guy for riding on a forest access road that is a private road & does not have 'bridleway' classification. i knew this already as im following opencyclemap. after a quick chat & apology to the guy & then he was admiring my bike & we chatted for 5-10 minutes. turns out there is an ongoing issue with guys on mini moto who have absolutely no regard for byways designations ..

Posted: Apr 7, 2020 at 14:10 Quote
joepuddle wrote:
a-d-e wrote:
TreeBeak wrote:

I really don't get why people keep blaming those in cities this is happing all over the uk what people outside of the cities seem to forget is how populated these areas are. If it was "the issue in cities" why would forestry england shut all the park and why would places like the peaks and brecons see record visitors. People need to get a grip and stop just reading the daily mail.
in cities many people dont have a garden or outside spece -they are confined inside their homes. cities are where the most reported cases have been recorded. I may be lucky living in a village only 1500 people with plenty of space (farm fields every which way you look). i can tell you now im taking this whole situation very f*cking seriously. forestry have shut the carparks not the actual forests. to deter people from driving car & making unnecessary journeys & to limit the numbers converging & in all honesty i believe these measures were reactionary as the first weekend of advised social distancing was the first fair-weather weekend since october of last year - months of wet & cold weather - schools now out indefinitely so understandable people want to get out & see friends/family & presumably whilst keeping safe distances & bearing in mind meeting in confines of the home totally off-limits & so we had large numbers meeting up in open outside spaces (pubs etc shops all closed at this time. especially with all the fears of the pandemic & at this point it was not fully understood the full implications of the extent of the spreading & the number of deaths & the strain on the NHS. help the NHS STAY AWAY FROM PEOPLE. if that means staying indoors then so be it.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006492
Mobile Version of Website