Covid-19 and travelling to bikeparks/trails

PB Forum :: United Kingdom
Covid-19 and travelling to bikeparks/trails
Posted: May 13, 2020 at 11:49 Quote
I've just had this email from Forestry England:

bigquotesDear supporter,

I want to thank you directly myself for helping to protect the NHS and saving lives by staying local and not travelling to the nation’s forests. Like you, I have hugely missed spending time in England’s wonderful forests. The natural world provides us with a welcome escape from current worries. You can’t beat the fresh air and the sense of hope as the trees continue to grow and wildlife continues to flourish.

Our plans for welcoming you back to the nation’s forests

Following the Prime Minister’s announcement on Sunday we are working hard to welcome you back as soon as we can. From today we will start to re-open our car parks and some other facilities as and when we can do it safely. Things we need to do first include putting social distancing controls in place and new systems for cleaning touchpoints and toilets, checking paths are accessible, and looking out for any wildlife that may have taken the chance, while it has been quiet, to build a home in an unusual place.

We will not be opening everything at once, so please check to see what remains closed before travelling. Due to Government guidance on play areas, at this time we will not be reopening our play equipment and play areas. We hope you will enjoy the space and fresh air with a safe, relaxing visit. When you chose to visit, please remember it is your responsibility to follow the new guidance on staying safe outside your home. We are sure many people will be keen to get out and about, so to avoid crowds, please be prepared to make the necessary decision to turn around if the car park looks busy or is full, and come another time.

Forests for all

We have really appreciated your patience and support. Since lockdown began we have been working hard to continue our vital work in managing the nation’s forests by providing sustainably sourced timber for essential products such as fuel and packaging, caring for the next generation of trees in our nurseries and continuing to conserve our precious wildlife.

If you are unable to get back to the forest for a while, we will bring the forest to you. Visit our Forests at Home web page to experience virtual forest bathing, wildlife updates, forest activities to do at home with the kids, virtual reality field trips and much more.

We look forward to seeing you soon.
Best wishes,

Mike Seddon
Forestry England Chief Executive

Posted: May 13, 2020 at 12:51 Quote
Thats a pretty positive message. Hopefully nicola will start to reduce the lockdown up here at the next review. Getting seriously bored doing roadie stuff Smile How do they not go nuts????

Posted: May 13, 2020 at 13:50 Quote
TreeBeak wrote:
Thats a pretty positive message. Hopefully nicola will start to reduce the lockdown up here at the next review. Getting seriously bored doing roadie stuff Smile How do they not go nuts????

I've been loving the roadie stuff, frankly. Setting mileage goals and exploring places I've never been...some lycra tan n' all.

I did 7 miles of trails in the local wood but that stuff gets boring real quick.

FL
Posted: May 13, 2020 at 21:12 Quote
I so nearly bought a road bike monday!!! I put commuter slicks on my trail bike an got up to 34mph. Now I want 40!! Started looking at bikes just out of curiosity an found a killer deal on a Scott Addict, £500 off, full carbon, DT hubs, full simano 105. FK IT!!Imma buy it!!
Messaging the shop all day, first thing I ask is do you take paypal as interest free an nothing to pay for 4 months
Yeah we can do paypal
Get home from work an try to pay for the bike
No we dont do paypal.......
f*ckers
For the better though as some hills are starting to open Smile

Posted: May 13, 2020 at 21:25 Quote
nojzilla wrote:
I so nearly bought a road bike monday!!! I put commuter slicks on my trail bike an got up to 34mph. Now I want 40!! Started looking at bikes just out of curiosity an found a killer deal on a Scott Addict, £500 off, full carbon, DT hubs, full simano 105. FK IT!!Imma buy it!!
Messaging the shop all day, first thing I ask is do you take paypal as interest free an nothing to pay for 4 months
Yeah we can do paypal
Get home from work an try to pay for the bike
No we dont do paypal.......
f*ckers
For the better though as some hills are starting to open Smile

I nearly bought a road bike as well but managed to stop myself as I knew the miniute I went back to work it'd never be used again, for future reference Canyon do splitit it now so you can pay over 6months

Aston Hill opens today with limited opening hours (8-45am - 3:30pm) but i'm not going to get a chance to get over there and am back to work Monday, so my hopes and dreams of riding again are dashed

FL
Posted: May 13, 2020 at 22:28 Quote
Thing is, my fitness an muscle mass have increased so much with all this midweek road miles. Be good for that to continue but, non lock down it's the cars that puts me off the most. Monday we were still unsure about the length of lockdown hence the near purchase. Crazy how that bike shop fk up saved me £1500, like imagine I buy the bike for covid an the two days later the hills open!! Big Grin

Posted: May 13, 2020 at 23:31 Quote
Ah its all cycling and therefore good Smile . Noticed an increase in my pedalling power too actually. Being a temporary roadie does force me to stay on the bike and keep pedalling rather than stopping to session bits of trail and gaze out at nature. I like that logic incidentally! If I buy an expensive road bike this week, the trails will open again in monday! Ill take one for the team.

Posted: May 24, 2020 at 12:02 Quote
What have you chaps and chapesses been upto in Engloid then? Driving to trail heads or even trail centres?

FL
Posted: May 24, 2020 at 12:12 Quote
making te most of confusing guidelines from bojo the clown allowing us to travel an ride the places that are open.

Posted: May 24, 2020 at 12:20 Quote
Think we will ease up on Thursday and while i've been doing pretty huge loops on the roadie for months now....something makes me paranoid about putting the bike in the car to drive to trails.

Feels like my mind has been altered.

Posted: May 24, 2020 at 13:49 Quote
stoo61 wrote:
Think we will ease up on Thursday and while i've been doing pretty huge loops on the roadie for months now....something makes me paranoid about putting the bike in the car to drive to trails.

Only if you are a golfist?? Dont think we can drive to gt or inners yet??

Posted: May 24, 2020 at 14:50 Quote
TreeBeak wrote:
stoo61 wrote:

Only if you are a golfist?? Dont think we can drive to gt or inners yet??

Yeah they wont be "open".

Intuitively I think this doesn't apply to MTB but I can see why people would argue it does. I'm happy enough anyway.

Posted: May 24, 2020 at 15:30 Quote
stoo61 wrote:

I'm doing some driving, but staying local. I know what you mean about it feeling weird driving to the trails again. I have to keep reminding myself I'm not doing anything wrong.
A riding buddy and I were discussing going up to Surrey Hills, but it doesn't seem right for both of us to do a 40 minute drive for a ride. We've also decided to keep riding solo for a few more weeks to see how things pan out.

Mind altered indeed.

Posted: May 24, 2020 at 16:30 Quote
Whinlatter trail centre is now pretty busy on weekends and even on midweek evenings with cars. Sometimes it doesn't even seem like lockdown is in place in the Lake District, crazy.

FL
Posted: May 24, 2020 at 23:15 Quote
I drove an hour to ride this weekend and an hour thirty last week. Aston was packed with non riders that where going to wendover woods on the other side of the road. Due to people being allowed into the woods as they public land but, the FC car park an centre being closed they parked in the bike park AND all the way down the road to the bottom of the hill, an out of hand situation that vague Gov guidelines created.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.020667
Mobile Version of Website