Chainline Shimano 12 speed any good?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Chainline Shimano 12 speed any good?
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Message
Posted: Mar 27, 2020 at 0:54 Quote
Shimano got it way wrong with the 11speed boost chainline, using non-boost cranks vastly improves the situation. I was thinking of buying a 12speed bundle but if they have repeat the mistake I won't bother and will buy an older non boost crankset. Anyone any experience? Do the 12 speed cranks put the front ring in the right place not pushed out board to far?

Posted: Mar 27, 2020 at 9:52 Quote
I have been riding on my new Shimano XT 12 speed drivetrain for about 4 months now logging about 500 miles on it so far. I ride pretty steep technical uphills and downhills all the time on the XT group and so far it has been amazing.
I built up my own bike and since the day I dialed in the shifting and derailleur, I have not touched it since and has stayed shifting perfectly. I have yet to drop a chain in the downhills and it shifts under load very well ( compared to the SRAM GX i was on before).
I had a 1x11 XT on a previous bike but it wasn't boost spacing so I cant comment on your issue from before.

All I can say is that I am glad to be back on Shimano and it has worked flawlessly for me so far.

Posted: Mar 27, 2020 at 18:22 Quote
I believe there are boost chainrings but not boost cranks.

I understand the 3mm and 6mm offset chainrings for boost or nonboost.

Most cranks allow swapping out chainwheels /chainrings or moving spacers.

Maybe I’m wrong.........

Posted: Mar 28, 2020 at 3:48 Quote
Ok sounds promising - of the bundles I’ve seen there isn’t any option of boost or non boost so maybe they have gone the spacer route. Good if so.

Posted: Mar 28, 2020 at 6:27 Quote
For the cranks and bottom bracket (at least on my Ripmo, there are 3 spacers that come with the bottom bracket, and with my frame it was recommended that I put 1 spacer on the drive side when installing

Posted: Mar 30, 2020 at 5:21 Quote
timparker wrote:
I believe there are boost chainrings but not boost cranks.

I understand the 3mm and 6mm offset chainrings for boost or nonboost.

Most cranks allow swapping out chainwheels /chainrings or moving spacers.

Maybe I’m wrong.........

This is wrong, Sram use the 3 and 6mm offset chainrings.

Posted: Mar 30, 2020 at 14:23 Quote
Trialsiain wrote:
timparker wrote:
I believe there are boost chainrings but not boost cranks.

I understand the 3mm and 6mm offset chainrings for boost or nonboost.

Most cranks allow swapping out chainwheels /chainrings or moving spacers.

Maybe I’m wrong.........

This is wrong, Sram use the 3 and 6mm offset chainrings.

How so?
I said there are 3mm and 6mm chainrings. We are in agreement.
I say there are no “Boost Cranksets” just boost chainrings

Posted: Mar 31, 2020 at 2:12 Quote
timparker wrote:
Trialsiain wrote:
timparker wrote:
I believe there are boost chainrings but not boost cranks.

I understand the 3mm and 6mm offset chainrings for boost or nonboost.

Most cranks allow swapping out chainwheels /chainrings or moving spacers.

Maybe I’m wrong.........

This is wrong, Sram use the 3 and 6mm offset chainrings.

How so?
I said there are 3mm and 6mm chainrings. We are in agreement.
I say there are no “Boost Cranksets” just boost chainrings
This is true. I mis read your reply.

Previous Page | Next Page

 
Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005413
Mobile Version of Website