Older dual crown choices....

PB Forum :: Downhill
Older dual crown choices....
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Mar 27, 2020 at 18:45 Quote
ok so i have a 2012 Aurum 2 that still gets a little love every now and than. still has the factory Boxxer RC Race coil. it does its job but lacks adjustments. looking at picking up a used Boxxer world cup with charger damper or a used fox 40. I live in alaska and probably get to ride the bike once a week for the 4 months that our only lift operations are open so i figured the service interval isn't much of a issue since ill have 6 months of winter every year to get it serviced.

my price is $500 max and looks like there are quite a few 2012-2016 Boxxers and Fox's available right now on the classifieds.

Posted: Mar 28, 2020 at 0:04 Quote
Oscillation wrote:
Oh.
??

Posted: Mar 28, 2020 at 8:11 Quote
Is there a question somewhere in there? Or did you just feel the need to tell us about your situation? Confused
Seriously, i don´t get it. I´d help, but honestly don´t know where to start.

Posted: Mar 28, 2020 at 12:19 Quote
Loki87 wrote:
Is there a question somewhere in there? Or did you just feel the need to tell us about your situation? Confused

i guess i added to much detail, but I'm looking at "upgrading" to either a Boxxer world cup with Charger damper or a Fox 40, both would probably be from 2012-2015 model years since thats in my price range. looking to see which would be the better option.

right now I'm leaning towards the Boxxer just for the fact it is lighter and the LBS i usually take my suspension parts to are well known for working on Rockshox, there is another LBS across town that are great with Fox's so this consideration isn't as huge of a deal.

Posted: Mar 28, 2020 at 13:36 Quote
alaskarider89 wrote:
Loki87 wrote:

i guess i added to much detail, but I'm looking at "upgrading" to either a Boxxer world cup with Charger damper or a Fox 40, both would probably be from 2012-2015 model years since thats in my price range. looking to see which would be the better option.

right now I'm leaning towards the Boxxer just for the fact it is lighter and the LBS i usually take my suspension parts to are well known for working on Rockshox, there is another LBS across town that are great with Fox's so this consideration isn't as huge of a deal.

If you´re looking for straight performance, get whichever has a coil spring. The Boxxer Team with charger works rather well and should be even cheaper than the WC. I switched my WC to coil and never looked back. The older 40s seem pretty good as well, but i´m not a fox guy. i believe the Fit 4 damper was pretty much the pinnacle of their design so far? Not sure about those though.

Posted: Mar 28, 2020 at 13:52 Quote
Loki87 wrote:
alaskarider89 wrote:
Loki87 wrote:

If you´re looking for straight performance, get whichever has a coil spring. The Boxxer Team with charger works rather well and should be even cheaper than the WC. I switched my WC to coil and never looked back. The older 40s seem pretty good as well, but i´m not a fox guy. i believe the Fit 4 damper was pretty much the pinnacle of their design so far? Not sure about those though.

wonder if i should just get a charger damper upgrade for mine than???? it won't add adjustability but should make a better performing fork right? right now my fork just feels very basic in its travel. i ask because I'm not to terrible familiar with the charger dampener but will be researching it today.

Posted: Mar 28, 2020 at 14:43 Quote
well i guess i should have done my research before making a post..been reading a lot about the damper upgrade and what others think after they did the same upgrade and sounds like a great bang for my buck. so i think I'm just gonna go that route since there are a few in the classifieds for sale.

Posted: Mar 28, 2020 at 15:12 Quote
Yo dude I think the charger damper would be a solid upgrade. With that and a proper set of seals, your fork will feel great. Unless you are riding wet and muddy trails everyday, I would swap the stock dust and oil seals for some Pike seals or SKF 35mm seals. Stock setup uses two separate seals. Which, while they seal great, they are pretty tight and sticky. Pike is an oil and dust seal in one, and so is the SKF. They are way smoother, but may require more frequent service. Charger damper is cool and easy to work on if you have the right tools. There are even extra shims already in there to swap around and dial the highspeed if you feel the need to. Stock setup feels great, there is just no adjuster for highspeed. Unless you go for the Charger2.1, but i am not sure if that fits in the 2012 boxxer chassis. I don't see why it wouldn't fit, I just have not checked. Well anyways I would recommend overhauling your current fork, unless your stanchions or bushings are shot. I had the boxxer charger setup for a while and it worked really well. Had a fox 40 before that and I am now on a manitou dorado. Any fork is good these days, just sort the proper upgrades and give her some good lovin and she will perform.

Posted: Mar 28, 2020 at 15:15 Quote
scottyrides5 wrote:
Yo dude I think the charger damper would be a solid upgrade. With that and a proper set of seals, your fork will feel great. Unless you are riding wet and muddy trails everyday, I would swap the stock dust and oil seals for some Pike seals or SKF 35mm seals. Stock setup uses two separate seals. Which, while they seal great, they are pretty tight and sticky. Pike is an oil and dust seal in one, and so is the SKF. They are way smoother, but may require more frequent service. Charger damper is cool and easy to work on if you have the right tools. There are even extra shims already in there to swap around and dial the highspeed if you feel the need to. Stock setup feels great, there is just no adjuster for highspeed. Unless you go for the Charger2.1, but i am not sure if that fits in the 2012 boxxer chassis. I don't see why it wouldn't fit, I just have not checked. Well anyways I would recommend overhauling your current fork, unless your stanchions or bushings are shot. I had the boxxer charger setup for a while and it worked really well. Had a fox 40 before that and I am now on a manitou dorado. Any fork is good these days, just sort the proper upgrades and give her some good lovin and she will perform.

great words and thanks for your reply! great tip on the SKF seals, once i got a damper on order i will check with my LBS to verify they are all good with replacing the seals and get those ordered too.

much appreciated!

Posted: Mar 28, 2020 at 18:35 Quote
If you´re not opposed to the idea of ordering from outside the states, i can highly recommend the m-suspension boxxer cartridge. It´s a semi closed cartridge, slots right in the boxxer, is easily home serviced with standard parts and is literally the only fork i´ve ever experienced that can rival my FAST tuned Boxxer. Buddy has been on it for two seasons now. It feels like a better old Marzocchi. Super smooth, traction for days and your hands will thank you after a long day in the park. Will transform any cheap Boxxer into the best fork on the market (plus some new seals as suggested). I highly recommend it. I dunno if FAST still sell a Boxxer cartridge, but that might be another possible route. My upgraded charger is just awesome. They no longer produce it though. You may be able to find some of their cartridges from US dealers. The M-Suspension shouldn´t be that much more expensive than the Charger though, so i really like it as an option.

http://www.m-suspensiontech.com/federgabel/boxxer/

page is in german, but orders go through email anyways, so he should be able to get you sorted.

Posted: Mar 28, 2020 at 22:06 Quote
Loki87 wrote:
If you´re not opposed to the idea of ordering from outside the states, i can highly recommend the m-suspension boxxer cartridge. It´s a semi closed cartridge, slots right in the boxxer, is easily home serviced with standard parts and is literally the only fork i´ve ever experienced that can rival my FAST tuned Boxxer. Buddy has been on it for two seasons now. It feels like a better old Marzocchi. Super smooth, traction for days and your hands will thank you after a long day in the park. Will transform any cheap Boxxer into the best fork on the market (plus some new seals as suggested). I highly recommend it. I dunno if FAST still sell a Boxxer cartridge, but that might be another possible route. My upgraded charger is just awesome. They no longer produce it though. You may be able to find some of their cartridges from US dealers. The M-Suspension shouldn´t be that much more expensive than the Charger though, so i really like it as an option.

http://www.m-suspensiontech.com/federgabel/boxxer/

page is in german, but orders go through email anyways, so he should be able to get you sorted.

thanks for the note man! my main bike is my aggressive trail bike and i only ride my DH maybe once a week in the summer when i make the 30min drive to the ski resort so i don't dump a ton of money into and I'm talking to a few people here on the classifieds about RS damper which i think will be more than adequate for me and th LBS will happily install and service they said.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005161
Mobile Version of Website