Ohlins RXF36 m.2 Air pressures

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Ohlins RXF36 m.2 Air pressures
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Mar 28, 2020 at 3:06 Quote
Just going to leave this here as there doesn’t seem to be much info out there on these forks. It may seem obvious to some but it may help others. Feel free to contribute any other ideas and apologies if this has already been done.
So, since getting the bike and forks late last year I’ve not had too many chances to ride it and most rides I’ve used it for so far have been trail centre reds. Set up with recommended air pressures for my weight I noticed it wasn’t a particularly plush feeling fork (this ties in with review opinions) but handled the bigger hits beautifully. Playing around with pressures within 10psi of the recommended didn’t seem to make a lot of difference other than to the sag point.

Now that we must stick to the safer trails for the time being I have been riding the local moorland tracks, typical game keeper access tracks surfaced with lots of loose stone. Doing a descent a few days ago at a reasonable speed it felt very uncomfortable over stones almost taking me back to rigid fork days. So, I did a bit more experimenting when I got home.

Dropping main air pressure made little difference other than increasing sag, still pretty firm after sag point was reached. Dropping ramp up pressure to 50% of recommended started to make a difference but it still felt quite firm so decided to drop all air from the ramp up chamber and set the main chamber to achieve 15% sag. This felt pretty good just from a static test bouncing my full bodyweight on the bars.

Took the bike out to ride the same trail as before and the difference was huge, the fork had started to feel quite plush and still plenty of mid stroke support for those kind of trails. Found a moderate drop to try and the fork did use full travel but it didn’t feel like it was blowing through it and there was no harsh bottom out.

So for the time being I will be leaving them like this. I’m sure that once I get back to riding trail centres I might need to start adding pressure to the ramp up chamber but I think for my style of riding it isn’t going to be anywhere near the recommended pressure.
Anyway, don’t be afraid to try pressures that are way different to the recommendations.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005048
Mobile Version of Website