Best North Shore bike?

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Best North Shore bike?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Mar 28, 2020 at 15:47 Quote
Hey all,

I have a question that has been asked before but WHAT KIND OF BIKE SHOULD I BUY????

Vancouverite, majority of riding on North Shore and Squamish, 1-2 bike park days a year, pedal for almost every ride.

Currently have a 2011 Santa Cruz Nomad on 26" (yes I'm still on 26ers) that I bought last year to get back into biking after many years off the trails.

I am a somewhat capable rider, like fast gnarly trails, jumps, drops, pretty much any trails pointed down

Looking for preferably $5000 or under before tax, must have a water bottle cage, fine with aluminum frame especially for this price point, want something that climbs decently but would sacrifice climb performance for descending performance. I'd like to stay as close as possible to the 160mm travel I have now front and rear with my Nomad (meaning I wouldn't want much less), would like a higher end build spec, doesnt have to be top end but definitely dont want to replacing stuff right away.

Suggestions????

Thanks!!

P.S. would also love some thoughts on whether a 27.5 or 29er would be better for my area of riding (or if it even makes much of a difference)

Posted: Mar 28, 2020 at 18:08 Quote
bananahammocktan wrote:
Hey all,

I have a question that has been asked before but WHAT KIND OF BIKE SHOULD I BUY????

Vancouverite, majority of riding on North Shore and Squamish, 1-2 bike park days a year, pedal for almost every ride.

Currently have a 2011 Santa Cruz Nomad on 26" (yes I'm still on 26ers) that I bought last year to get back into biking after many years off the trails.

I am a somewhat capable rider, like fast gnarly trails, jumps, drops, pretty much any trails pointed down

Looking for preferably $5000 or under before tax, must have a water bottle cage, fine with aluminum frame especially for this price point, want something that climbs decently but would sacrifice climb performance for descending performance. I'd like to stay as close as possible to the 160mm travel I have now front and rear with my Nomad (meaning I wouldn't want much less), would like a higher end build spec, doesnt have to be top end but definitely dont want to replacing stuff right away.

Suggestions????

Thanks!!

P.S. would also love some thoughts on whether a 27.5 or 29er would be better for my area of riding (or if it even makes much of a difference)

You should check out the Meta AM 29er, especially since your close to Squamish where they have a store. I think they do demos

O+
Posted: Mar 28, 2020 at 18:30 Quote
Rocky Mountain Slayer, 2017-2019 gen, could definitely get a solid build for under 5K if you're willing to go used. Not sure how much you'd compromise on the pedaling with the new 2020.
Commencal Clash - never ridden one, but looks like a kick ass bike, and one I'd strongly consider if I was in the market, particularly for the park days.
Transition Patrol

27.5 vs. 29, just gotta figure out what you want. I don't think either is better or worse, just different. I think if you're taller, i.e. L or XL frame, maybe 29er is better. S or M frame, maybe 27.5 is better... again no rules, mostly preference. Short riders on small frames with big wheels may have more tendency to get their ass buzzed by the tire on the steeps.
Bigger wheels have a stronger gyroscope effect, pound for pound, so can be more stabilizing and faster down the trail (more interia). Smaller wheels are maybe a bit more agile. Though so much of this depends on many factors that you'll find arguments all over the place on it. Just try out both if you can and see what you like.

O+
Posted: Mar 28, 2020 at 21:40 Quote
Awesome thanks for the suggestions and info!

The Clash is already high on my list, just worried a bit about the weight and pedaling efficiency.

Havent looked at the Transition patrol yet and it looks like a super nice bike! Might have to give one a test.

As for wheel sizing, I appreciate the info. I'm 5'11" usually ride a Large, planning on choosing a bike for the other stuff and try out whatever size wheels it comes with

As for the Meta AM, it's also on my list but worried a bit about the weight as its pushing 35 lbs. Any experience pedaling it??

Thanks

Posted: Mar 28, 2020 at 21:47 Quote
bananahammocktan wrote:
Awesome thanks for the suggestions and info!

The Clash is already high on my list, just worried a bit about the weight and pedaling efficiency.

Havent looked at the Transition patrol yet and it looks like a super nice bike! Might have to give one a test.

As for wheel sizing, I appreciate the info. I'm 5'11" usually ride a Large, planning on choosing a bike for the other stuff and try out whatever size wheels it comes with

As for the Meta AM, it's also on my list but worried a bit about the weight as its pushing 35 lbs. Any experience pedaling it??

Thanks

The Meta has a nice seat tube angle for it to pedal. It’s not the best climber due to the weight, but it does well for an aluminum enduro bike. https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=206983&pagenum=19#commentid6826056 You can also check out some reviews on Youtube.

O+
Posted: Mar 28, 2020 at 21:51 Quote
Thanks I've read that forum the whole way through haha. Think I need to give one a test to see.

Thanks!

O+
Posted: Mar 28, 2020 at 22:06 Quote
I would definitely checkout the 2020 Devinci spartan. I would go with a 27.5 since your coming from a 26 it would feel as slow around corners. 27.5 are also a bit more playful( just my opinion) and will reduce a little weight.

O+
Posted: Mar 30, 2020 at 19:29 Quote
Santa Cruz Bronson, Ibis Ripmo AF, Kona Process 153, Transition Patrol... You have quite a few options in aluminum. Try to demo some if you can. If not, anything you buy will be a huge improvement over your current bike and you will be happy with the new bike.

O+
Posted: Mar 31, 2020 at 0:10 Quote
Pretty much all bikes are good these days. Pinkbike's field tests are really good. IMO either look for the best deal, or the shop+brand you like the most. I am really curious about the new edition of the giant reign it looks rad! Couple different builds under 5000

O+
Posted: Apr 2, 2020 at 9:43 Quote
Awesome, thanks a lot for all the suggestions! All this new research has given me something to pass the time. Also planning on testing some of these bikes when allowed to leave the house. Anyone have any experience with 2019 or 2020 Norco Range?

Posted: Apr 9, 2020 at 8:10 Quote
bananahammocktan wrote:
Awesome, thanks a lot for all the suggestions! All this new research has given me something to pass the time. Also planning on testing some of these bikes when allowed to leave the house. Anyone have any experience with 2019 or 2020 Norco Range?

2018 Aluminium Range here, 27.5, I love it, I call it my Party Bus.
I live on the N. Shore and had a 2015 Sight, which did everything well, but I wanted more squish. I did change the shock to a DVO and put in a spacer to support the climb, though it's not an issue on fire road.
It serves me well in my sea to sky adventures. I can't give you bike park feedback..I don't do Whistler.

During these days of isolation, I am " testing ", my friend's 2020 Sight 29'er to see if I'm missing out on something better, but it's lack of agility going down turns me off.

As others have said, just go with a brand you like, there are no bad bikes at your price point.Smile

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.081453
Mobile Version of Website