Has anyone had issues with the new one piece floating piston in reverb (non stealth) seatposts?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Has anyone had issues with the new one piece floating piston in reverb (non stealth) seatposts?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Mar 28, 2020 at 23:31 Quote
My reverb A1 seatpost had ~2 inches of bouncy play in it after riding 2 or 3 times after a rebuild. I started taking it apart, but while removing the internal sealhead, it blew off - somehow there was still pressure behind it, even though I had de-pressurized via depressing the schrader valve and already removed the outer seal head. I was wearing safety glasses and was out of the way, i'm usually pretty nervous around the high pressure stuff - glad I took these precautions.

When looking into the seatpost, the remaining oil was foamy - indicating it was mixed with high pressure air and rapidly decompressed. It seems like air must've leaked around the piston during use, and been captured behind it - so relieving pressure in the normal way left the oil chamber pressurized, as the compressed air was stuck on the oil side of the piston.

I'm not sure how I could've messed up the re-build to do this - the one piece floating piston looks pretty idiot proof. SRAM's article explaining the new floating piston indicates this used to happen with the old aluminum/o-ring piston:

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/sram-talks-tech-inside-the-rockshox-reverb-interbike-2016.html

Anyone else have this issue? Any ideas what I messed up in the re-build? This is the third re-build of this seatpost (first time with one piece piston), and first time i've had an issue.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.004811
Mobile Version of Website