Best filler for scratched stanchion?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Best filler for scratched stanchion?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Mar 29, 2020 at 7:16 Quote
Hey there, im trying to repair a few sratches on my fox fork stanchion and ive got it smooth and ready to be filled but im not sure what the best filler is.

A lot of people say clear nail polish - I have top coat and base coat, i was thinking the base coat since its supposed to be more durable than the top coat

but then others say to use JB Weld..

Has anyone used nail polish to permanently fix a scratch? If not, id rather do it once with JB weld or epoxy.

Thanks!

Posted: Mar 29, 2020 at 9:59 Quote
JB Weld for deeper scratches. Nail polish for smaller, less deep.

Posted: Mar 29, 2020 at 10:40 Quote
Windscreen,or windshield for my overseas brothers/sisters repair resin.Rainex

Posted: Mar 29, 2020 at 22:18 Quote
cyanoacrylate with sodium bicarbonate filler.
Super glue with baking soda.

Seriously.

Posted: Mar 29, 2020 at 22:27 Quote
fmradio516 wrote:
Hey there, im trying to repair a few sratches on my fox fork stanchion and ive got it smooth and ready to be filled but im not sure what the best filler is.

A lot of people say clear nail polish - I have top coat and base coat, i was thinking the base coat since its supposed to be more durable than the top coat

Has anyone used nail polish to permanently fix a scratch? If not, id rather do it once with JB weld or epoxy.

Thanks!

Depends on the depth of the scratch..I had 4 in my pike, about 1/2 to 3/4" long, and not very deep, maybe 1/64 " deep. I used Black nail polish once I prepped the fork, let it dry for 24 hrs, then used 1500 grit wet/dry paper, but did not wet it, as it cuts to aggressive when wet. I then used automotive Fine polishing compound to polish the repair.That was over a year ago, so far...so good.

Posted: Mar 31, 2020 at 4:18 Quote
Hammer48 wrote:
fmradio516 wrote:

Thanks!

Depends on the depth of the scratch..I had 4 in my pike, about 1/2 to 3/4" long, and not very deep, maybe 1/64 " deep. I used Black nail polish once I prepped the fork, let it dry for 24 hrs, then used 1500 grit wet/dry paper, but did not wet it, as it cuts to aggressive when wet. I then used automotive Fine polishing compound to polish the repair.That was over a year ago, so far...so good.

Thanks! maybe ill try this since my stanchions are black. I saw a lot of clear nail polish fixed but that sands to a white looking thing leaving a ghostly finish.

Posted: Mar 31, 2020 at 15:53 Quote
They may not be open now, but beauty shops will have black nail polish, so will some big drug stores like Thrifty..

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006098
Mobile Version of Website