Thinking of going clipless

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Thinking of going clipless
Posted: Mar 30, 2020 at 14:02 Quote
gusbus432 wrote:
My favorite is going one side clip.

Worst of both worlds ime.

Posted: Mar 30, 2020 at 14:07 Quote
lol yeah its just what i like its actually pretty easy to flip and ride in y neighborhood and stuff but my friends hate it so much

FL
Posted: Mar 30, 2020 at 15:08 Quote
I think the worst problem most people have is they immediately jump on it and go hammering down their favorite/hard trail without giving themselves time to become accustomed to them. It’s obviously incredibly freaky to have your foot bolted into a pedal only to figure out you can’t get out on something Uber sketchy because you didn’t put the practice in. I would say if you haven’t ridden them before you might want to just ride them around the neighborhood for a while to get used to the feeling.
As for your questions SPD pedals are very nice. The mechanism is robust and secure but most of all durable. The main benefit is a very small and manageable amount of float with a well defined release point and the ability to adjust release tension easily. Crank bro’s pedals have always felt a bit vague to me. They used to have a huge issue with bearing durability. That seems to have improved in recent years. The two bar spring loaded mechanism does suffer the occasional failure which will render the pedal useless to clip in, as both sides fail when one side fails.
Time pedals are fairy similar to crank bro’s. They have separate spring s for each side as opposed to a single coil around the axle. Look pedals are essentially SPD copies and function much in the same way.
As for other factors. Due to the width of the cleats some shoes have to be modified (read cut the rubber on the sole) to fit look cleats. I’ve heard of people having issues with crank bro’s cleats as well because they are very Shallow. Most shoes are designed with SPD cleats in mind so they’ll almost always be able to find a good position under the balm of your foot. I spoke earlier about durability of shimano pedals and it is worth noting I’m still riding a set of 747 pedals from 25 years ago. By the same token I broke two sets of candies springs and gave up on crank bro’s.
If you wanna take some of the sting out of your experiment if it fails buy shoes that come with a plug so you can use em as flat pedal shoes

O+
Posted: Mar 30, 2020 at 19:39 Quote
thats some great info gotohe11carolina.

here are some notes i have so far in my head for the three main systems im looking at (CB, ATAC, SPD)

CB- main thing that keeps them on the list is that i just feel by the looks and operation of them that i may have an easier entry if i hit a gnarly section and unclip than go to re-clip in while still on not so perfect terrain.

Times ATAC- really does seem like the best of both worlds and they do offer a 10deg clip that would make exiting a little quicker?

SPD- well they are tried and true system. Im definitely not the first person to be looking at making the change and alot seem to go to SPD's. Obviously getting spare cleats is a cinch since REI stocks them for days. Dont crucify me for saying this...but i have the option to start out with their "multi-release" clips, that for $15 may be something to help me acclimate to clipless over the first few rides and than throw the standard clips in and continue learning.

unfortunately since i been out of the sport for alot of years, i dont have a bunch of friends that ride anymore and therefore dont have the luxury to spend a few minutes trying different styles on buddies bikes, hence why i started this thread and digging so hard on the web for info so i can make a decision that would hopefully end up suiting me the best.

O+
Posted: Mar 31, 2020 at 4:14 Quote
alaskarider89 wrote:
Times ATAC- really does seem like the best of both worlds and they do offer a 10deg clip that would make exiting a little quicker?

SPD- well they are tried and true system. Im definitely not the first person to be looking at making the change and alot seem to go to SPD's.

I ride on SPDs so a quick note about exit speed. The minimal float on SPD pedals makes exiting very quick once you're used to them. They let go easily, rapidly, and predictably because of the lack of float.

I also like the look of the Time ATAC pedals and almost switched. The exit feel is different and I wouldn't say easier unless you dial back the tension. In the end, I couldn't accept how Time had 'broken' lower tier models to justify overpricing the top models.

I got used to being attached by commuting for a couple of weeks using SPDs; stopping frequently (traffic lights) provides more practise than riding for a couple of hours. I've found the XT and XTR pedals easier to get back into compare to the M424 pedal that I started with but on a general trail bike I haven't found it an issue after I got used to it.

Posted: Mar 31, 2020 at 5:10 Quote
alaskarider89 wrote:
Ok so im pondering the idea of going clipless for my trail bike (DH bike is definitely staying platform haha). I was hoping to get some input on the different mechanisms and their pro's and cons (don't know much about clipless). As someone thats been on platforms my whole life, i just don't much about clipless mechanisms.

I'm pretty sure i want a clipless platform style and pull most of the pegs out that way there is no resistance on exiting and on crazy trails i still have a platform to land on if i can't get clipped back in quickly while I'm still learning and getting the muscle memory going.

A little background. between ages 16-21 i rode all-mountain freeride, park, and city free ride almost everyday, so even with my 9 year hiatus from the sport, i can still handle a bike fairly well and the fundamentals are still ingrained in me. i only add this info because I've read that some people feel clipless can create bad habits. Currently i have a Trance and ride single tracks that focus more on the aggressive side.

Current pedal I'm looking at are (but not limited to, if anyone has other suggestions) Time Special 8, CB Mallet, SHIMANO XT PD-M8120, LOOK X-TRACK RAGE+

thanks for any input!
Get basic Deore pedals and multirelease cleat, its cheap enough to discover if you want clipless or not, makes no sense to buy expensive pedals + suepr-carbon shoes for first timers.
Been there, done that - back to flats, seen no sense in being clipped in except for maybe racing (Sam H. would disagree Big Grin ) For imaginary 3% better time i don't care, i don't slip off in rough terrain in flats - in the end its just matter of preference which no forum debate will resolve, only trying both and see for yourself Big Grin

Posted: Mar 31, 2020 at 8:07 Quote
onyxss wrote:
Get basic Deore pedals and multirelease cleat, its cheap enough to discover if you want clipless or not, makes no sense to buy expensive pedals + suepr-carbon shoes for first timers.

Cheap pedals and shoes are good ideas. Not a fan of the multi-release cleats, though: they're fine for people biking to work or other mild uses, but they're more likely to cause unwanted release on a mountain bike.

Posted: Mar 31, 2020 at 8:12 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
onyxss wrote:

Cheap pedals and shoes are good ideas. Not a fan of the multi-release cleats, though: they're fine for people biking to work or other mild uses, but they're more likely to cause unwanted release on a mountain bike.

This. if you want easier (its already pretty easy after half an hours practice in the park) release, just use flats. If you want to be held securely, use normal cleats.

O+
Posted: Mar 31, 2020 at 8:14 Quote
Well I pulled the trigger this morning. With my REI dividend and current discount, I got some Shimano AM-5 shoes for $15 and decided to give the Times Speciale 8 a try. They had a set on amazon for below cost. If I don’t like these than I will try a used set of SPD styles off Craigslist or something and worst case scenario is I just stick to my flats and sell the lightly used stuff on pink bike. It’s still a few months away from trail riding but the snow is melting fast and I should be able to start using some of the city park bike trails to get use to clipping in and out before hitting a real trail.

Ohh and I got a set of their “easy 10deg” clips... so I will be able to choose from 10deg, 13deg, and 17deg

I’ll be sure to let you guys know what the verdict is!!

Posted: Mar 31, 2020 at 8:30 Quote
Good choice on the pedals and cleats.

Tip for when you use the 13°/17° cleats: 17° is a lot. Double the life of the cleats by using them in the 13° configuration until they're heavily worn and releasing too easily, then switch to the 17° configuration, which will be worn to somewhere near 13°.

Posted: Mar 31, 2020 at 20:55 Quote
I prefer Shimano A530 pedals, flats on one side and clipless on the other. I’m clipped in most of the time and my Shimano shoes are 7-8 years old and still holding up very well

Posted: Apr 8, 2020 at 2:54 Quote
alaskarider89 wrote:
englertracing wrote:
I bought ht pedals which have a system that looks half shimano half crank brothers
Then i bought shimano shoes which were really nice shoes.....
couldn't get used to them,
coming full blast into loose flat corners and waiting for the front to tell you its about to wash is just not comfortable with clips for me i cant commit......
sold them
275$ experiment....
well i got more than half back
like you I have been into bikes of all types for 20+ years
will remain on flats...... forever....

That’s good to know and I’m ready to make this a $200 experiment too. Money is not really a topic for me since Biking is one of my main passions during the alaskan summer. I did read that HT lock you in very strongly and hence why I removed the HT x2 from my list. I’m hoping some people have some more input on the SPD vs ATAC mechanisms.

The Time ATAC has a little more float. The SPD feels very sold when locked in. ATAC mechanism feels solid but allows a little movement. The ATAC cleats tend to wear down a little faster than the SPD I had. Both reliable... I prefer the ATAC marginally. But if it’s your first time in clipless pedals you won’t have anything to compare them too, they’ll both get the job done!

Posted: Apr 8, 2020 at 19:20 Quote
I'd go crank bros. They have adjustable release points depending on which cleat you put on which shoe, either 15° or 20°. I have them and I find I can pop my foot out just as easily and quickly as on flats, whether it's getting stuck on tech climbs or losing the front end in a turn I can always get my foot out. The motion is very natural. And if you want, I believe someone already recommended this, but their doubleshot pedals are half flat half clip, so you can clip on the trails and ride flat for jumps and such. That's what I am running and I'm very happy. Two possible setbacks are 1. the platform side is a little small for what some people might want, and 2. sometimes when getting started you get the wrong side of the pedal (clip side in flat shoes or flat side in clip shoes). These don't bother me but they might bother you. Good luck finding the right system!

O+
Posted: Apr 8, 2020 at 22:21 Quote
I have ridden clipless since they were made. I started DJ'ing about 7 years ago and needed to learn how to ride flat. I have become very good on both so here is my take. Flats are great for learning proper technique like dropping heels, proper downward pressure on jumps, scoping the pedals to lift the bike, and few others. If you ride clipless all the time I pretty much guarantee that you "cheat" sometimes on some of those things . Now that being said, I think that it is a benefit once you do know how to do it proper. ("cheating" to make it easier is not a bad thing) There are things you can do with clips that are very hard on flats. There is not much that you can do extra on flats excepts, eject and stunts!

Posted: Apr 9, 2020 at 3:32 Quote
crank bros are shit just save some money and get some spds

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.027876
Mobile Version of Website