• Next Page
Posted: Apr 9, 2020 at 5:14 Quote
og03 wrote:
crank bros are shit just save some money and get some spds

what reasoning do you have for that?

FL
Posted: Apr 9, 2020 at 6:41 Quote
englertracing wrote:
If i were to go again id do crank bros mallets.....

Have they sorted out qc yet?
Last pair of eggbeaters I had disassembled themselves mid ride.

Posted: Apr 9, 2020 at 14:14 Quote
I've had the same SPDs for 25 years, never adjusted them, never cleaned them, never had a problem. They might be the oldest things I currently own.

You wont ever feel the same "bail if you need to" security that you have on flats. But with practice you will get very very close. You also can't adjust your position very much. That lack of flexibility might bother your knees. I had a rockstrike yesterday and went over the handlebars, wouldn'tve happened on flats. Still, they are tons more efficient for pedaling and I really only wear flats for dedicated downhill days or short technical shuttles.

O+
Posted: Apr 19, 2020 at 16:11 Quote
Ok guys, got the pedals today and put them on. Put the 10deg "easy" cleats on the shoes and here are my first thoughts.

-The shoes (Shimano AM5) are insanely comfortable! as good as my everyday shoes.
-Almost fell over just trying to get out of the garage, and first 30 min was definitely a learning curve on the clip in/out process.
-The clip in/out of the ATAC style system is very nice and the big channel on the sole of the AM5 shoes really help to guide it in. Also the Special 8 are large enough where i felt some confidence when not clipped in.

-No trails are thawed out yet, but after riding around the neighborhood for 45 min, i have to say that i like the feeling of being so connected to the bike! After many years of riding when i was younger and always on flats, this new feeling of being more connected to the bike is pretty awesome and instantly had the feeling that i would be able to flick the bike around more on trails. I tend to ride with my heal slightly out, and when bailing my foot natural goes out rather than up, so un-clipping was not nearly bad as i thought it might be.I plan on doing lots of rides around the neighborhood and taking it very easy when the trails open, but first impressions are that i can see this working out Smile

PS.....seriously, those Shimano shoes are so damn comfortable!

Posted: Apr 19, 2020 at 19:41 Quote
Sounds like things are off to a good start.

Wear knee pads for the first dozen or so rides. Doesn't matter if you're riding around the block. At some point, you're going to get stuck and you're going to point your knee directly into the ground and it's going to hurt a lot.

Posted: Apr 20, 2020 at 15:06 Quote
You can't really go wrong with ATACs. The Speciale 8s are very nice. ATAC pedals with metal bodies mostly just work forever, so I think you made a good choice.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015253
Mobile Version of Website