Coil shock faceoff

Posted: May 1, 2021 at 18:23 Quote
AlDrag wrote:
I'm looking to get my first coil shock for my Whyte s-150crs.

I'm hung I up on either Rockshox super deluxe coil, Fox DHX2 or DVO Jade X.

I can get the DVO ordered with a custom tune and the rockshox with a vorsprung tractive tune.

Opinions?

Super Deluxe Coil with the Tractive tune is the best of those three. Supply is difficult right now but if you can get a second hand one you might be good.
Fox DHX2 doesn't have good support, the adjusters don't do what they should and they seem to eat shafts.
Marzocchi Bomber CR is a solid option you should consider.
The DVO shock you would go for the Jade with HSC/LSC. The one with three modes isn't that good.

Posted: May 12, 2021 at 9:04 Quote
Ive had the DHX2, marzocchi bomber cr, and rockshox super deluxe. Granted they were all on different bikes so it's hard to compare. Bomber was best value and simplest. DHX2 was most tuneable, which was nice cause it felt more efficient on low speed fire road climbs than the others. Although it did need to be rebuilt which was difficult. Super deluxe feels most damp and not overwhelming with tuning.

If I'd buy a new one I'd get super deluxe because it's simple to service and I think the climb switch is worth the extra $ over the bomber cr.

CR all the way for bike park though.

Posted: Jun 12, 2021 at 11:45 Quote
PUSH Elevensix. Seriously AMAZING.
Two shocks in one. A setting for climbing and a setting for technical.

Posted: Jun 12, 2021 at 13:22 Quote
Has anyone had experience riding strictly bike park only all summer with an eleven6 ? Wondering how the shock handles that kinda of abuse and wondering how well it performed overall.

Posted: Jun 12, 2021 at 14:01 Quote
The 11.6 is very durable and reliable, it's as good as you're going to get. Regarding performance, well a coil is a coil in my honest opinion, the main thing with the 11.6 is it's tuned for your bike and weight and you have the climb lever. You may find it to be more on the supportive side, especially for trail riding unlike typical shocks where you can wind the compression all the way out to be super soft on trails you can't really with the stock 11.6. It's definitely needs gnarly terrain to show how composed it is and plush at high speed. At lower speeds it's not one of those shocks you open the clickers fully and you have a sofa like experience. In my case I wanted less low soeed compression and more improved small bump compliance for trail riding as I do a lot of that too. Darren is more than willing to help if you feel the stock settings are not 100% for you, as he said for most people they are spot on, for the odd few and guys like me that maybe using their bike for all sorts and not just big fast technical terrain he will definitely get you sorted with a more appropriate tune. In my case he swapped the single stage stack for dual stage and a slightly lighter tune overall, massively improving small bump without losing too much in terms of high speed support and composure but with still plenty of clicks left on the dials either way to firm or soften things up further to my liking.
The 11.6 shock is ideal for park, it's reliable, quiet, composed, extremely low stiction and plush at high speeds... If you want a more sofa like experience and a less composed and less reliable shock, you can just buy any aftermarket shock with a wide adjustment range such as the dhx2 and open the clickers all the way. Or in my case just contact Darren and get the 11.6 retuned just to your liking. I know he listened and took in everything I asked for when I dealt with him as when I got the shock back it was spot on how I wanted it, had a bit of a wow moment once I recieved it back. But I think for fast, aggressive park use, the stock custom tuned 11.6 is right on the money.

Another option is just buy an ebike, the suspension works miles better on those even with a crappy low end air shock, the 10kg extra sprung mass really does amazing things for the stability and plushness, I would argue much more so than the difference between a good and crappy shock on a normal bike...however maybe not so much for the handling and cornering. But that's just for some perspective, yes high end shocks and coils especially do feel noticeably better than a lower end air shock sometimes to a large degree, but no normal bike feels as plush as an e bike regardless of shock...with an sb165 with Smashpot, 11.6, super light wheels, super comfy saddle, foam grips, flexy carbon bars etc I can say it's the plushest normal bike I've ever ridden...but ebikes are still noticeably a fair bit more plush and stable at the expense of feeling like absolute pigs above 25kmh. So yea a super high end coil shock will make a big improvement but don't expect a 'magic carpet, everything feels like an ice rink experience' they are good but e bikes still take the cake in the plushness department regardless of shock so don't expect by fitting a fancy coil from any manufacturer you will acheive that level of bump erasing ability. I still obviously feel the bumps with my setup, even smallish ones, but the setup is so dialled now with the Smashpot and 11.6 that they are inconsequential, none of them send jarring spikes to my hands or legs and make the tyres bounce and skip, the edge is taken off, comfort is more than acceptable at any speed, and I have traction for days....perhaps too much traction sometimes making it difficult to get the bike to leave the ground.

O+
Posted: Jun 12, 2021 at 20:54 Quote
gnarcissistictendency wrote:
Has anyone had experience riding strictly bike park only all summer with an eleven6 ? Wondering how the shock handles that kinda of abuse and wondering how well it performed overall.

It is an extremely well built and durable shock. I would typically put 60-70 pure park or shuttle days on mine. No issues. It’s was a beautiful ride.

The customer support from push is also great. I was having some trouble getting the pop that I was looking for, and they gave me a good set of trail side adjustments to dial in the shock.

If you’re looking for another high end shock, in comparison to an EXT, I prefer the Push approach to tuning. The EXT is way too soft for me.

I would say that my avalanche tuned Van RC’s are great as well.

Posted: Jun 13, 2021 at 20:06 Quote
I’ve owned a dhx2, kage, bomber cr and a Jade x. Dhx2 is easy to sell if you don’t like it, I liked it a lot and put a lot of time on it with zero maintenance and it was perfect. Jade X was not that great, only usable with a progressive spring. Kage was junk, blew it up in about one season. Bomber CR (basically a Fox Van) replaced the Kage and was nice for such a value price, one click made a noticeable change but it’s also popular to internally tune to be whatever you want.

I’ve also ridden the new custom deluxe coil and it was good, but that was only one ride.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.023692
Mobile Version of Website