Anybody here on the new switchblade?

PB Forum :: Pivot Cycles
Anybody here on the new switchblade?
Posted: Dec 28, 2020 at 16:04 Quote
tkrumroy wrote:
I absolutely will as soon as I can. Incoming review in two weeks. Just gotta find this forum again on my own so post another post as a reminder lol
Its been two weeks any update?

Posted: Jan 12, 2021 at 11:58 Quote
tkrumroy wrote:
I absolutely will as soon as I can. Incoming review in two weeks. Just gotta find this forum again on my own so post another post as a reminder lol

Can we get a update on you SB vs your Druid?

Posted: Jan 12, 2021 at 11:58 Quote
tkrumroy wrote:

Posted: Jan 14, 2021 at 9:15 Quote
claystanger wrote:
tkrumroy wrote:

_________

OK so here it goes. I've owned the 2018 Santa Cruz HTLT, the 2020 Santa Cruz Hightower v2 and the 2021 Forbidden Druid. Now the 2020 Pivot Switchblade v2 as well.

The switchblade - in my opinion - is the best riding bike I've owned thus far. Here's some of my thoughts on why.

Geometry - the geometry of this bike is wild - especially the short rear chainstays. I had never imagined how big of a difference this can make but it's AWESOME. When going downhill if you come across a big rocky patch just simply lift up your front wheel and you will manual all the way down it. Now - I STILL can't manual worth a damn on smooth ground at all, but this bike almost forces you to learn how to do it on the trail. The other cool part is jumping with it - it kinda feels like the short rear end makes it easier to get over the lip of the landing and land where you want to.

The reach and length is all exactly where I want it - which is very close to the Hightower v2 which in my mind was the best fitting bike for my body type (I'm 6'2" with a 32" inseam and I'm all upper torso). The hightower just felt perfect from the beginning and I don't feel much off with the switchblade.

Contrastingly - the forbidden's rear suspension felt great BUT the geomke made me feel cramped inside while having a super long rear end like a suburban. Which brings me to the suspension.

Suspension - the rear suspension on this DW Link has blown my mind. It's worlds better than the VPP on the santa cruz's in my opinion. It's lively, makes me want to turn every root into a jump, and somehow feels great over small bumps. I will say that the Forbidden Druid still wins in this category with that high pivot suspension though. I don't think any bike can come close to what the druid offers on the rear suspension, but the switchblade doesn't have that idler pulley which I always felt created drag. As soon as I moved to this bike I felt like my legs were set free. I may end up adding a coil to this down the road because my performance dpx2 may need an upgrade, but the platform of the suspension is awesome.

________

I think all of these are great bikes. I have loved them all but hated how the HTv2 prohibited me to only using two shocks due to that narrow shock tunnel. This pivot allows me to put anything I want down there which is great. The short rear chainstays makes this bike SO much fun to pedal and manual. I think this bike just makes me have more fun on the trail than any of the other bikes. The Druid would be my pick if I weren't pedaling for 95% of my trails that I ride and if I did more DH type stuff or shuttling. The hightower was a great all around bike but I always felt like the rear end felt "dead". It wasn't bad, just not what I was looking for.

Hope this helps guys!

Posted: Jan 29, 2021 at 19:03 Quote
I've been looking at the SB and Druid, great info!

O+
Posted: Feb 1, 2021 at 12:10 Quote
Yup, Just came yesterday. Only got 4 miles on it before dark though.

photo

Posted: Feb 1, 2021 at 13:33 Quote
Hapsmo wrote:

photo
Awesome bike! I love Salt Cycles they are the best. I was going to get a Switchblade but got a Revel Rascal cause I got a good deal.

O+
Posted: Feb 2, 2021 at 7:25 Quote
Punctual wrote:

If you have any experience on Santa Cruz VPP suspension and prefer the DW would you care to share why?

Thanks!

Have yet to try the new Switchblade. But one of the main things I noticed on modern SC VPP vs Pivot's DW is that Pivot's DW link has a MUCH bigger sweet spot for when the suspension just disappears under you. On the SC it feels like when you had to go through tech rough stuff slowly it just didn't work well, and talked to a few people who felt the same way. Once it got up to speed it was awesome but it really felt like there was a high min speed to get it there.

Posted: Feb 2, 2021 at 7:39 Quote
NorCalNomad wrote:
Punctual wrote:

If you have any experience on Santa Cruz VPP suspension and prefer the DW would you care to share why?

Thanks!

Have yet to try the new Switchblade. But one of the main things I noticed on modern SC VPP vs Pivot's DW is that Pivot's DW link has a MUCH bigger sweet spot for when the suspension just disappears under you. On the SC it feels like when you had to go through tech rough stuff slowly it just didn't work well, and talked to a few people who felt the same way. Once it got up to speed it was awesome but it really felt like there was a high min speed to get it there.

I have to agree. I owned the HTLT and the HTv2 and the Bronson v2 and now the pivot switchblade. I designedly have found myself more of a fan of the DW Link. The VPP was great at pedaling but I always felt like the rear suspension was a bit dull. The Dow link had just as good of a pedaling platform but I feel like the suspension is more active all’s round. More fun on slow small bumps but also more stable on those giant repetitive hits too.

Posted: Feb 2, 2021 at 18:49 Quote
Hapsmo wrote:

photo

Looks sick I really dig this new color. I'd love to see one in person. Is it kind of tan? Hard to tell in pics but looks great.

O+
Posted: Feb 2, 2021 at 22:52 Quote
cmb47 wrote:
Hapsmo wrote:

photo

Looks sick I really dig this new color. I'd love to see one in person. Is it kind of tan? Hard to tell in pics but looks great.

Yeah its kinda like a sand color. I was going to get blue but this came in and they offered it to me, couldnt pass. I love the neutral color.

Posted: Feb 7, 2021 at 7:11 Quote
Hapsmo wrote:

photo

That frame color is pretty sweet.

Posted: Mar 3, 2021 at 19:28 Quote
I just got my Pivot Sb v2 and I need some help. I have a handfull of rides on this bike and multiple tinkeings with my setup but I can't get this bike to feel efficient on climbs. Don't get me wrong it climbs fine but I've ridden bigger bikes that climbed faster with the same efforts. I originally purchased this bike because of the fun factor and efficiency rumors. I'm feeling efficient everywhere tell I hit a climb and I lose momentum so fast. I ride with alot of Yeti's sb130s, a yeti 5.5 and a few Santa Cruz ht v2s and we ride each others bikes back to back and we're all feeling the same think loss of momentum early in a fast rolling climb. I really don't want to buy a yeti so I want this bike to work. Is anyone experiencing this or have a few tips to try?

Posted: Mar 4, 2021 at 5:44 Quote
claystanger wrote:
I just got my Pivot Sb v2 and I need some help. I have a handfull of rides on this bike and multiple tinkeings with my setup but I can't get this bike to feel efficient on climbs. Don't get me wrong it climbs fine but I've ridden bigger bikes that climbed faster with the same efforts. I originally purchased this bike because of the fun factor and efficiency rumors. I'm feeling efficient everywhere tell I hit a climb and I lose momentum so fast. I ride with alot of Yeti's sb130s, a yeti 5.5 and a few Santa Cruz ht v2s and we ride each others bikes back to back and we're all feeling the same think loss of momentum early in a fast rolling climb. I really don't want to buy a yeti so I want this bike to work. Is anyone experiencing this or have a few tips to try?

Wild man I don’t know what to tell you. My last bike was a forbidden Druid and then the HTv2 and I feel like this bike climbs way better. I know this may be an insulting question but is the shock sagging too low?

O+
Posted: Mar 4, 2021 at 8:53 Quote
claystanger wrote:

What's your tire and wheel setup?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.021459
Mobile Version of Website